Archived The "Vent about all the crazy shit that happened during your shift" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the clarification! That's what I figured but I know nothing about trucking and am hardly around for FDC deliveries. So when I get third-hand from a TM who talked to a TM who unloaded the truck "the driver won't take the pallets something something backhaul something something there's pallets on the something something truck," yeah.

No problem. :)

@Circle9 a backhaul is when they have a load they are going to be loaded with after dropping off the delivery aka backhaul.

Independent truckers love backhauls cause it means they are making money both ways of the trip.

I appreciate the clarification! That's what I figured but I know nothing about trucking and am hardly around for FDC deliveries. So when I get third-hand from a TM who talked to a TM who unloaded the truck "the driver won't take the pallets something something backhaul something something there's pallets on the something something truck," yeah.
So how does backhaul apply here? Does Target not pay them to haul the empty pallets back to the FDC? Aren't they using a Target-owned trailer?

So how does backhaul apply here? Does Target not pay them to haul the empty pallets back to the FDC? Aren't they using a Target-owned trailer?

I have no idea. Beyond my scope. I have never asked the guys who drop our GM trailers what they employment status was. I see the same few guys all the time so I assume they are employed by target and make a flat trip rate. They aren't local drivers by looking at the trucks so I doubt they make by the hour.

Local trucks are very rare to have a sleeper cab on them..

We have C&S and I haven't seen a drop in over a year, they drop late afternoon/evenings.

Our FDC drivers are always different whenever I see them. GM trucks get switched 9/10s the time when I'm not there. Except that one month where the driver was changing our trailer at 9 in the morning (way earlier than usual) and would stop by the door to give me the paperwork (usually because I was still loading a sweep when he showed up). Same guy every time, said they had him on a different route or something.

In other news: five pallets of clearance shoes have been sitting in the backroom for some nebulous reason. Now they're salvage. Guess what lucky person gets to put them on wooden pallets and ship them out? On the same day that we're supposed to get several hundred more pieces of backstock and we're still experiencing that critical pallet shortage?

If I had a time machine I'd tell past me to transfer all those shoes ASAP while I still had 30 pallets just sitting around outside the store. Oh well. Oh, and the ETL-LOG asked me as I was clocking out if I was excited for tomorrow's sweep, which is making me unreasonably nervous that he's planning something.

Oh well. Oh, and the ETL-LOG asked me as I was clocking out if I was excited for tomorrow's sweep, which is making me unreasonably nervous that he's planning something.
We were able to sweep back a fuckton of BPLS last week...

We were able to sweep back a fuckton of BPLS last week...
Our merch sweep was last week, including that exception sweep he hasn't brought up since. But speaking of sweeping things back, a few weeks ago we got a metric assload of STS furniture. Literally 40+ boxes of it. Which sat around for a couple days before somebody decided to check it in. And then it sat around for a while longer before nobody came to pick it up.

What's the first thing I get asked this morning? Can I check to see if any of it can be swept back? The ones that aren't salvage, that is. I told them that somebody else is going to have to sort out the salvage/not-salvage before I touch any of it because I don't have time for that shit.

Jesus that's crazy. I know if that happened at my store, the STL would be determined to sell all of it somehow.

A+ location.

State event celebration. 23 people call in overnight to go party, between flow and backroom. 2200 piece truck. Not all of the Merchandise is pushed. That team will have have to work more productively, on top of the next truck. Hours are scarce. Give people hours; they give it up. Other people are willing to work and want it, but district team does not approve late additions. So, the STL has to work with who he has.

Comes with the logistics territory, but I hate it when people do not load or compress the compactor correctly. The compactor drivers are impatient and will drive off without any form of communication. Merchandise falls out. As a result, we have to spend up to 30 min to 2 hours cleaning up decomposed food and other debris. Not a lot of people will take the proper action to take care of it.

There's nothing like a dying Crown. I especially like the constant burning smell in the backroom as we keep using the thing. I don't want to touch it because the smell makes me sick and I kind of feel like this is a major safety problem. Too bad I have a pallet of ESIM way up in the steel that I need to get down ASAP.

Also that driver came in and brought up chemtrails again.

Just need to get this out where someone else can give feedback, snide remarks, feel better about their day and maybe get some sleep afterward.

Note: this is basic background

9+ years ago
Receiver quit. I applied and got the offer.
Went out to train and on the second day was called back to home store because they had to have a receiver. Had the basics of checking in vendors. Never got to finish "formal" training.
Also never got the grasp of going to your TL when you have a question still don't because they don't know how to do the position

Started teaching myself how to do what a receiver is supposed to do, based on the ever loved Workbench

ETL-LOG quit before being asked to leave.
--------
New ETL-LOG comes in. Still not sure if I was doing things right or wrong, but I got told as long as I kept up with the information on Workbench I would be ok.
Continued doing what I thought receivers did, called out other tms for not following "best practices" and often heard "we don't do it that way here, we do it the Txxx way". Kept living and enjoying life while also finding out a little more about some health problems that I have.

I think I am doing okay.

ETL-LOG - goes elsewhere.
--—----------
Third ETL-LOG comes in,they have been with Bullseye and give me a couple of pointers but in general, I was left to my own devices.
Get told that I need to start communicating more with my TL and less with the execs. (the execs were the only ones that I really communicated with before, heck I didn't know better)

ETL-LOG is sent to another store (honestly think the STL did not like the person)
-----------
Two more ETL-LOG come through, fresh out of Target college.

Things start going weird because suddenly I'm not doing "it" right.
The area isn't perfect, MIRs aren't being done right. Questions start getting asked about how I've been in the position so long and I don't seem to know how to do things right.

Of course
both of those ETL-LOGs are gone.
—------
Current day -
Sixth ETL-LOG comes in, in not so many words tells me that the store I work in is broken because we don't do things right.

Get counseling about the fact that area isn't to standard on cleanliness along with my lack of performance. Get told that the desk is too cluttered and I need to get it to planogram. (never have seen one)

Side note: some of the health issues have been figured out ADHD, Extreme anxiety and of course the ever popular depression that makes up the combination have been diagnosed etc

Now we are to this past week
Go to walk with the ETL-LOG before leaving.....
Get told that they have been working 85+ hours every week since they came to this store, doesn't understand why I can't get things done like the rest of the district receivers (because the ETL-LOG had been to a meeting recently and I was the only one that couldn't get stuff done right) and why wasn't everything done even though I was out sick.

Folks, I am nowhere near perfect, and have never claimed to be.

But darn it don't make it my fault that you came to this store and you are unhappy.

Yes, the store is broken when it comes to process. Don't fuss at me because I can't fix it. I can only fix me. Show me the right way to do things so that I can get it right and make you look all perfect again.

Telling me to just fix it doesn't work. Tearing a team member to pieces at the end of the day doesn't make it better.

Sit down and talk TO me, not at me, explain how it should be done because in the end when you educate a tm they have a better understanding as to why these things are so important to you and take a better look at the big picture.

Now that I have that out of the way...
* tosses the soap box in the corner and walks away*

Folks, I had to get this out of my mind so that I can hopefully get some restful sleep. My nights have been filled with bad dreams and upset stomach

Last edited:
I reset the GoPro end cap this week. It was a revision.

The backroom pulls the revision. The items are in a repack on the line marked POG-SCTY-0.

When I go to push it, the top of the GoPro, the actual camera, is gone. Just the bottom cardboard part.

So, I go ask the backroom tm where the rest of it is. And if he pulled it like that.

He says everything he pulled looked right.

I'd say 99% sure he is lying to me.

@Rdhdstpchl the similarities between our situations is eerie. The training, revolving door of ETLs, even the mental health situation is close.

Most the time it feels like receiving is invisible to the store and we're left to our own devices. Then a score drops too low, a vendor doesn't act the way somebody assumed they would or a pile of whatever gets too noticeable. Then suddenly receiving gets the light shone on it and there's all these questions and no answers. Then as soon as it starts its over and I'm left to my own devices again.

It's so frustrating. People look at receiving and don't take the time to understand how or why it got the way it did, even if I tell them "I had shit training and get left on my own most the time." I had more words but I lost track of them.

a pog for a desk....... thats the best thing ive ever heard lol :p
There is a POG for a backroom/vendor communication board. Except when I started receiving the board had been taken down because we weren't supposed to have it or something. Then a couple months ago I get a vendor board again...and its been sitting untouched since then. I didn't ask for it and whatever leader decided we needed it again lost interest in making sure it's used.

Last edited:
ah for the board, that makes more sense, in my head all i saw was a pog for the computer and printer and shit lol
Yeah, I've never seen one for the desk itself. Closest I've found is instructions on how to set up your filing cabinets. That I don't follow, the receiver that trained me didn't follow and I doubt anybody else follows either.

Oh, there is some throwaway paragraph on Workbench about setting up the desk that's pretty much "they're going to need a flat surface for packaging stuff, make sure they can reach the tape and scissors." That's it. That's all I've found.

@Rdhdstpchl the similarities between our situations is eerie. The training, revolving door of ETLs, even the mental health situation is close.

Most the time it feels like receiving is invisible to the store and we're left to our own devices. Then a score drops too low, a vendor doesn't act the way somebody assumed they would or a pile of whatever gets too noticeable. Then suddenly receiving gets the light shone on it and there's all these questions and no answers. Then as soon as it starts its over and I'm left to my own devices again.

It's so frustrating. People look at receiving and don't take the time to understand how or why it got the way it did, even if I tell them "I had shit training and get left on my own most the time." I had more words but I lost track of them.

There is a POG for a backroom/vendor communication board. Except when I started receiving the board had been taken down because we weren't supposed to have it or something. Then a couple months ago I get a vendor board again...and its been sitting untouched since then. I didn't ask for it and whatever leader decided we needed it again lost interest in making sure it's used.
Yeah, it's hard to do "it" the right way when no one knows how to do it.

Hey corporate folks, think you can help out the little people with clarification on what the heck we are doing?

Fuck the food truck team for being lazy shits (except for the 1 or 2 TMs who weren't working today). They couldn't even bother being around for unloading the truck, just grabbed pallets and took them away when the driver or me weren't looking. But at least I think I taught myself how to fill out the paperwork because this is probably going to happen again. And again.

Spent most my shift processing ESIM. Including using the Wave to get 20 full tubs down from the steel, two at a time because the stacker is still broken. Thank God for ESIM pickup happening sometime soon.

One stacker, one Wave and one electric pallet jack. Jack is starting to go too. Wave miraculously intact but I think it's fairly new?
Ouch. One electric jack, two stackers, and three waves here.

Ouch. One electric jack, two stackers, and three waves here.

One Stacker, two waves and one electric pallet jack.. But our backroom is tight so there just isn't room to park it even though we could use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back