Archived There are weird things going on in the front of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to start another debate about TMs who choose not to take break vs TMs who do. I'm talking about cashiers who are being mistreated. This isn't about state or federal laws it's company policy and our store's culture to take our scheduled breaks. There is a difference I hope one can see. If you are gung oh and skip your break that's one thing but if you are a middle aged cashier who is really looking forward to getting off your feet for a few minutes that's another.

I've missed so many breaks since I've been cashiering since November. When I first started the GSTLs were pretty good about sending cashiers to their breaks and lunches, then it just got bad. I'll look at the break schedule and try to remember the times so I can ask to go if no one sends me but a lot of the time they don't and when it's time for my breaks the GSTL is nowhere to be found so I end up skipping it. I would hate to just go and make things harder for the other cashiers but it's ridiculous. The break schedule is always off and if it's a busy Saturday I don't even get a free second to look at the break schedule, and when I finally do get the chance to look my name is already crossed off like I took it, and I don't wanna look dumb asking to go. I just don't know what to do. I've been getting better at asking if it's alright to go and it usually always is.

That's part of what is going on. The cashier's breaks get "accidentally" crossed off the grid. Then the GSA acts really hateful if they ask about it. Btw, he never skips a break.

That's part of what is going on. The cashier's breaks get "accidentally" crossed off the grid. Then the GSA acts really hateful if they ask about it. Btw, he never skips a break.

Exactly! The GSAs make sure to get their own breaks!

It's probably best that I am not a cashier because I would shut off my light and tell people I'm closing when my assigned time came around for break. I've picked up a couple cashier shifts and there's no way in hell that I would last an entire shift with relative perkiness if I missed breaks.

^This is true for me. After I do the CO on the weekends, I usually have a 5 1/2 hour cashier shift. I can be perky in stretches, but if they try to shaft me on my breaks, my politeness tanks.

We have one GSA that really doesn't care to send people in a timely manner on their breaks. She has now taken to keeping the break schedule in her pocket. Sometimes, she almost makes me hit meal compliance because she can't math.

As a GSA I make sure to send my cashiers on all their allotted breaks/lunches, and I don't always get to take my own. I get my first break and my lunch but last break is often skipped. I would never do that to my cashiers.

I had three people (Store Team Leader, ETL and my direct TL) come up to me within 15 minutes of each other about ending up on a report stating non-compliance when it come to taking a lunch. Each told me that I consistently end up on this report, and I need to make sure I take my lunch at the right time. The STL told me that they are held accountable for this, and that if I don't start taking lunch at the right time, I would be talked to in an official matter. I have huge challenges finding someone to cover me in Electronics when I am the only one there. There are cases when I ask the LOD who should I get to cover me, I don't get a response or the famous "give me 5 minutes". So, I could be talked to in an "official manner" because of scheduling issues and if the LOD is too busy to help. That seems just wrong.
My suggestion is to call at the begining of your shift on the walkie as a reminder such as hey this is so and so looking to take my break at such and such time and then call every hour after that at your scheduled time if still no coverage call every five mins. As long as you do it in a fast fun and friendly way they can't really hold you accountable, and it should allow you to get your break on time

We tend to hide our break schedule because the cashiers and cart attendants seem to find it a place to gather and something to study when gstl walk away. We(gstl's/gsa's) rarely miss getting TM's their breaks so there isn't any reason for them to be looking at it. It irks me to walk back onto the floor and see a sea of red huddling around the schedule.. They do seem to scatter when they see us coming around the corner, but it is still seen on camera and the lod's tell us to get a handle on the front end..

As a GSA I make sure to send my cashiers on all their allotted breaks/lunches, and I don't always get to take my own. I get my first break and my lunch but last break is often skipped. I would never do that to my cashiers.

This. I will never skip a break/meal for my cashiers. It is planned out at the beginning of my shift, and I stick to it pretty closely. Now, some of the cashiers get picky when they want to go, and I can't always accommodate that depending on when others are coming and going, but they will get their breaks and lunch.

Thank you for responding. I really think this is just someone being mean. Not giving cashiers their breaks is just part if the problem.

I make copies of the break schedule before I head out to the floor. My manager usually gives me my schedule on a card but I copy it just in case they forget. My team is really good about this, so that we can close five minutes before before we start break and finish off whatever guests we have in line. It ensures that everyone gets to have a break and we're not short of a cashier. If you can't have trust, you have nothing.

My Target does not seem to really have that problem. we make sure we get our breaks in. If we are running behind I talk to the "breaker" and ask when I can expect my break.

we have a strict meal policy in my state you have to take your breaks 15 minute up to 4 hours if you are staying 5 hours you have to punch out but if they schedule you for just 5 everyone knows they can leave at the 45 mark in order not to loose out on pay. if you work double shifts when you punch back in from your meal you start counting again so if you worked 6 am 6pm you have to take your first break by 1030 1045 you start buzzing for meal. then when you punch back at 11 you have to take another break by 330 but you would also get three 15s and two halfs. my target and all the spots in my state say its before the 5th hour but our state law says its before the 6th spot makes us punch out by 4.5 hours so that no one gets on complience

I usually receive a break card soon after I start my shift, which has my breaks laid out on them. I'm never told to go on break. When the time comes, I shut my light off and go. The GSTL has the break schedule. He or she knows where I am. I've never been told that it's supposed to be any other way.

I usually receive a break card soon after I start my shift, which has my breaks laid out on them. I'm never told to go on break. When the time comes, I shut my light off and go. The GSTL has the break schedule. He or she knows where I am. I've never been told that it's supposed to be any other way.
One of our GSAs and our GSTL are both on weird power trips and would never go for that.

If I foresee a problem (say, a cashier is late coming in or left for his break late), I'll ask the cashier to stay another minute or so if we're busy. Otherwise, you get your break schedule when you check in with me (I like saying *hi* to everyone and sharing any pertinent info for the day) and you're on your own. If you hit compliance, it's your fault. If you miss your break, it's your fault.

We're all adults, right?

OK, that last sentence was funny.

Some stores don't do break cards. Mine doesn't, you wait for the GSTL/GSA to shut your light off or for them to send someone to take over for you. This works because you don't have people shutting off in the middle of a rush but it has the frustrating side effect of them just straight up forgetting about you, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Lately I haven't gotten my first break until 3 hours in, latest was 4 and a half on a 5 hour shift. And it's frowned upon to ask about your breaks.

At my Super, we have a lunch/breaker who gives people their breaks and lunches. Pretty sure they mostly go by what the computer generates for the break/lunch schedule, with tweaks as necessary. At one point the computer was scheduling some lunches right at the 6th hour.

When I'm closing as cart attendant I almost always skip my second break, not enough time to finish throwing away/sorting the things guest services make me take to receiving with just 15 mins after my break when I go home at 11:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back