Archived There are weird things going on in the front of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about if you are the only one in the store in Electronics? I struggle every night either trying to find someone to cover my lunch/break or never get an answer from the LOD about who should cover. I had one LOD kept telling me that he would get back to me in 5 minutes. 2+ hours later he finally returned and told me just to take my lunch and leave the area empty.

What about if you are the only one in the store in Electronics? I struggle every night either trying to find someone to cover my lunch/break or never get an answer from the LOD about who should cover. I had one LOD kept telling me that he would get back to me in 5 minutes. 2+ hours later he finally returned and told me just to take my lunch and leave the area empty.

Not really your problem. Their scheduling failure should not deny you, your breaks and lunches.

At my store the break schedule by the time clock has the name of whoever will cover the electronics break/lunch and a general time frame. That or call for someone out in hardlines.

I don't know about the PH contracts but they probably have something similar in their agreement.
its a lot looser of an agreement. usually non compliance comes from not following the recipe cards , like say using extra oil in the pans. or it can also come from health code violations, but the biggest way is not using approved equipment, so if your short on b stick pans you can't just req some out. other than that everything is fairgame. a store would really have to f up to get into non compliance.

Today was the first day since I started a month ago that I took all my breaks. Usually I'll take 1st break & lunch but skip 2nd break. What was different today? When I'm putting the normal amount of weight on my foot, it's incredibly painful. Felt horrible for taking that last one though, we were super busy up front all afternoon

My foot loved breaks.... Apparently I have a Morton's neuroma. So, standing killed me, and I was doing bad things to it by working in a standing job (first thing doc said to me, without knowing my former job was, "I bet standing hurts."). I'm still having flares of pain, but the go away sooner. Unless it gets cold.

So basically, if you haven't already, get the foot looked at... Don't be me and assume it's going to just go away.

That sounds what happens at my store only I am a operator I plead with people for breaks and they'll say yes we will get you and they will forget and still waiting and they said oh I am sorry did you get your break ( asked for it half hour ago) no....... Oh go ahead and take it someone will be right back and cover for you. Sadly there are times where I don't even get a break...... I am not going to cry over it but sometimes I really do need that break.

Tonight was the second day in a row I missed my last 15. Friday it was because I was closing guest service and the GSTL on duty was so busy I didn't want to ask her to cover (she didn't even get a first 15, let alone #2) and there was no one else. Tonight I was cashiering and I asked about the 7 hour mark (of a 8.25 hour shift) if I could take my final break and she told me to collecct reshop first, then we got slammed and I never got a chance to take one, even ended up staying an extra 15 minutes.

I know it shouldn't bother me because legally I'm not entitled to breaks but this is not the first time the second scenerio has happened and it's irritating.

That sounds what happens at my store only I am a operator I plead with people for breaks and they'll say yes we will get you and they will forget and still waiting and they said oh I am sorry did you get your break ( asked for it half hour ago) no....... Oh go ahead and take it someone will be right back and cover for you. Sadly there are times where I don't even get a break...... I am not going to cry over it but sometimes I really do need that break.

They always seem to forget, but if you mention it you're the annoying one... even if it's only 15 minutes that break can be a shift saver and turn a rough day into something a little easier.

Exactly tell me about it....... They sorta roll their eyes in the back of their heads like legally I do get a break. It is the law okay granted I don't need a break but it is the law you are entitled to a break even if you sit on your behind you still get a break I hang up clothes and move back and forth I am doing stuff.

Exactly tell me about it....... They sorta roll their eyes in the back of their heads like legally I do get a break. It is the law okay granted I don't need a break but it is the law you are entitled to a break even if you sit on your behind you still get a break I hang up clothes and move back and forth I am doing stuff.

Very few places is there any law regarding breaks. Company policy and law do not equate.

I just have to keep asking why do you keep giving your time to this crap company? Take your damn breaks! You wonder why they keep cutting payroll well you covering and giving them your time for free is one reason why.
I agree with this totally. It will never get better if people don't start just taking them regardless.

At my store the break schedule by the time clock has the name of whoever will cover the electronics break/lunch and a general time frame. That or call for someone out in hardlines.

I had three people (Store Team Leader, ETL and my direct TL) come up to me within 15 minutes of each other about ending up on a report stating non-compliance when it come to taking a lunch. Each told me that I consistently end up on this report, and I need to make sure I take my lunch at the right time. The STL told me that they are held accountable for this, and that if I don't start taking lunch at the right time, I would be talked to in an official matter. I have huge challenges finding someone to cover me in Electronics when I am the only one there. There are cases when I ask the LOD who should I get to cover me, I don't get a response or the famous "give me 5 minutes". So, I could be talked to in an "official manner" because of scheduling issues and if the LOD is too busy to help. That seems just wrong.

I had three people (Store Team Leader, ETL and my direct TL) come up to me within 15 minutes of each other about ending up on a report stating non-compliance when it come to taking a lunch. Each told me that I consistently end up on this report, and I need to make sure I take my lunch at the right time. The STL told me that they are held accountable for this, and that if I don't start taking lunch at the right time, I would be talked to in an official matter. I have huge challenges finding someone to cover me in Electronics when I am the only one there. There are cases when I ask the LOD who should I get to cover me, I don't get a response or the famous "give me 5 minutes". So, I could be talked to in an "official manner" because of scheduling issues and if the LOD is too busy to help. That seems just wrong.

Make a reasonable effort to get coverage and when it gets to that five minutes before break or compliance, simply announce you are going.
If they say you can't explain you have been told you have to and take it up with the STL.
Then go.

You say I am about to hit compliance I am going to clock out now! And walk away.

You staying on the right side of that is your responsibility. Theirs is finding someone to cover. When you walk off with no choice believe me they will find someone.

Yep, that's my philosophy as well. I've never once hit compliance, or even came close except in a few specific situations:

1.) 5.75 hour shift, they ask me to stay late so I take my lunch minutes before compliance because until then I didn't anticipate having a lunch.

2.) Group visit last week, GSTL asked me to hold off on my lunch till minutes before compliance or till the visitors left, whichever was sooner.

Yep, that's my philosophy as well. I've never once hit compliance, or even came close except in a few specific situations:

1.) 5.75 hour shift, they ask me to stay late so I take my lunch minutes before compliance because until then I didn't anticipate having a lunch.

2.) Group visit last week, GSTL asked me to hold off on my lunch till minutes before compliance or till the visitors left, whichever was sooner.

I have two compliance hits in just over 5 years one I was totally at fault for, shift slightly different than my norm and I just missed it. Second was an ETL and STL in the middle of craziness told me "we will take the HR heat, please stay". One I apologized for, the other HR told me "It was the e-mail, they took the responsibility for this one, have a good day."

Difference is that your STL is telling you Samshayna, that you need to clock out and its not a crazy circumstance so make sure you do it and if you get any blowback from the ETL, "well STL told me I CAN NOT hit compliance anymore."

I'm resurrecting this thread because the GSA that was so bad but then finally quit is back. He is just as passive aggressive as ever. The cashiers are not getting their breaks again. The push for RedCards is worse than ever and he is making a bad situation much worse.

I pretty much have to skip my breaks on closing shifts. I just take my 30 minute lunch. I don't really have issue with it because there's so much to get done in a 6 hour shift, that extra break usually just sets me back and there's normally no coverage anyway. What annoys me though is when I'm expected to skip my first 15 on an opening shift when there's plenty of time and coverage. Usually, I just hand the keys to whichever GSA is doing cash office/cashier when they get done with CO and leave without giving them a chance to say no or give excuses.

We're extending our operating hours soon though and I will no longer be giving up my breaks on closing shifts. If I have to stay later, I'm taking my damn break.

I only missed one break because I was helping an elderly woman check off her shopping list. But I would never skip a break if I were asked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back