Archived Things I have learned since leaving Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been 3 months since I have left Target and so I thought I would revisit where I was and where I am now. So I thought the best way to do this would be to do a comparison the best present the difference. Before doing so I will say that I have only been past my old store twice in the last 3 months. Seems longer since I have been away from Target and yet I miss a lot of the people I use to work with and hope they are either still loving what they do or have moved on from Target. So here are some things I have learned since leaving Target.

~Overtime~
Target Said: "You are about to hit 40 hours, go home we can't have you going into overtime"
My current job: "We have overtime available this week, please see (insert supervisors name here) to inform them what days and hour you want to work"

~Recognition~
Target said: "You went above and beyond last night, here is a great team card"
My current job: "Here is your bonus check for this pay period"
Target said: "If you work more on your speed perhaps I can make you a team lead (6 months later, when I asked about it seems that we never had the conversation according to him)

My current job: "you are a great leader, I am going to throw your hat into the ring to start getting you trained to become a floor supervisor"
***NOTE****: I have gotten more recognition in a month than in the 2 years I ever got at Target

~Benefits~
Target Said: "We have open enrollment for benefits, go online and register" (If I were making enough every paycheck to actually afford insurance)
My current job: "Since you're full-time make sure to fill out the online forms for benefits" (amazingly these are decent benefits and are affordable)

~Perks~
Target Said: "Alright here is your team member discount that gets you 10% off your purchase and if you get the Redcard it is an extra 5%"
My current job: "We're getting you setup with complimentary cable service"

~Hours~
Target Said: "You will start out at 35 hours a week" (after my 90 days and through my two years, 30, 28, 25,22, 26, 18, etc......)
My current job: "you will always be full time, nothing less than 40"

~Atmosphere~
Target Said: "I know you had to lug that big couch out from the steel, but the customer doesn't want it anymore, sorry oh and also I need you to stay later to set some items for seasonal to be pushed out tomorrow morning"(FML)

My current job: "Lets watch the game in between calls oh and I got pizza for you guys" (laughter and good conversation in the background)

So what else have you guys who have left target learned about how other companies operate/treat employees?

I've worked in a call center before and it was literally the worst place to work. Target is worth the pay cut compared to there. I'm glad you found a good one.

After the hell I went through in the pizza place, Target is a dream. I just have to keep reminding myself of that over the past week or so.

But yes, I'm happy you have found a better place!

Sitting in a cubical would literally kill me, but I'm soo glad you like it. Hope it takes you places!

i used to work at a metal foundery and they were a bunch of nazi pricks. we werent allowed breaks, and if we "had" to take a break for ANY reason, they would deduct it from our 30 minute lunch.

no one had a sense of humor, no recognition for good workers, you do ONE little thing wrong you get screamed at, HARD ASS LABOR (you came home covered in black s***)

im so glad i dont work there anymore, i was fired but idgaf because that place wasnt worth the money.

when i started target, i got the same starting pay, i was welcomed with open arms, i was actually treated like a human being, i was excited on my first day that we actually got to have breaks!

its funny how many people complain about there job at target, its ALOT better than most places like the f****** metal foundery

This is like the guy who gets early parole - then drives pass the prison in his new caddy and waves to the inmates - trying to gasp for a little fresh air and sunshine through the 4" X 8" slit in the wall ---

Please ---- help me brake out to ------

I'll fix your toilet ---

I will admit when I started this thread, I did lack to mention a few good things that I did take away from my time at Target. It wasn't all that bad, probably much of my bitterness was spending much time in that cold ass freezer lol. But here are the things I took away from Target:

1. Recognition is given just not as often as I would have liked, but when you were recognized you felt pretty good about yourself
2. While I didn't agree fully with some of the leadership, I did see many aspects of what makes a decent leader and then implement what I could do to make it better
3. Logistical work builds muscle (that part I do miss honestly, it was like a workout while I was working lol)
4. Lastly, retail is retail and I did what I had to do in my job to the best of my ability without griping (unlike the newbies we would get that would whine cause they had to work 8 hours, are you kidding, the more hours the better)

But really my main reason for leaving was higher pay and a different atmosphere, is it my ideal job, no. Will I spend the rest of my life there, no. This is just a stepping stone. Also this sounds lame but I would get my paycheck and I hated when I would hear that people who work at subway made more in two weeks than I did.

OK...so let's get back to the original statement: Things I have learned since leaving Target.

filmer88 I appreciate how you've taken the time to compare your new job with Target.....and how you also added things that you've learned from Target. It is important for all of us to take time to compare ourselves...from "then" to "now"......not just new jobs, but perhaps you can compare how you (as an individual) have changed since __________ (you fill in the blank.)

As an aside....is it really all that important to correct someone's spelling errors? You know, we all have negativity in our lives and it would be nice to overlook those spelling errors. I'd rather have spelling errors and improper grammar than have to have someone be afraid to share their thoughts or opinion. No matter how you look at it, we're all in this together....one way or another.

I probably need to step off my high horse.
It was probably with Yom kipper coming up that I scrolled down and hit a giant swastika and my guts just churned.
I did understand the grammar Nazi reference but it still made me very uncomfortable (something you would think I'd have gotten used to having spent this much time on the net).
So my post was heartfelt but a bit over the top and probably just added to this mess.
Mea Culpa.

Thank you so much for your words describing your response. I really do appreciate that you have taken responsibility for your comments. So, now we can move on.

Just so you know, grammar and spelling are two (to, too) different things.
The difference between knowing your crap, and knowing you're crap.

I love this......"the difference between knowing your crap, and knowing you're crap." This little line made me laugh.......thanks for the smile!

no good sir, a simple brief explanation stating my position. I was joking with my first post in this thread, trying to be funny. Things got misconstrued, but hey I didn't mean anything by either post really, so it's nothing to me to apologize to everyone and just delete the posts.

Nope -- no cop out -- once again you made an accusation -- back it up !

And rember this little did-bit you P / M'ed me -- explain this away --

i'm gonna call hr and tell them I SAW YOU DRINKING on the skyjack. You're the ******* with childhood issues. Yeah I was trolling you because you pretty much thought I wasn't gonna meet you in the middle and that I was gonna be an extremist on this issue. I'm gonna call HR too and tell them you're posting on the internet on company time...you will hurt or kill somebody with your negligence!

Last edited:
I glanced at this before I left this morning --

And for the last few hours - I was planing how to defend my position -

You insulted my military service - something you will never have the privilege of experiencing -

You and your "Friend" go into my past posts and shrink my karma count -

You still did not answer my last question -

You give a back handed apology - only to sit back for a few months or weeks - then take another veiled cheap shot -

You insulted me --- when I questioned it in a P / M -- you chose to lash out again --

You offer apologies -- and yet to go back into your post posts and correct them is beneath you and yet --

You take the time and effort to spin up more misguided ammunition -

Your talent's are wasted here - you should take up politics -- the relish people like you to twist facts to their benefit -

You know what I realized - your "Never " gonna be wrong -

I come to this forum to have a little fun / waste a little time / impart what little knowledge I have concerning my dealings with Spot -

"tanks" it just became "No Fun" -- and frankly --- not worth it --

This little game of mental masturbation you love to play - all-be it interesting -----

In a little time you'll find another member to play with -

Just not this one !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back