Archived Things Wal-Mart does that you wish Target would do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically the only thing I use my discount for are groceries and clearance (oh, and clearance groceries for certain)

There being no tax on food, it's the one thing you actually get a REAL discount on.

For the rest, sure it means you pay the shelf price since the discount functionally cancels out the tax...but...eh. Yipee.

This might be old news; don't shop at Wal-Mart very much. But the other night I saw they had the capacities on the shelf label, along with the number of facings. Thought that was cool.

This might be old news; don't shop at Wal-Mart very much. But the other night I saw they had the capacities on the shelf label, along with the number of facings. Thought that was cool.

All that info is in the PDT but just how often do you think a flow team member is going to check that when they push?

Never! It'd be more for me when I want to check to see what the capacity is without having to switch over to the super slow Item Search.

The problem is with that though unless someone knows how to go in and change things in the system before printing the shelf labels, those capacities are often outdated. This happens all the time at the store where I work when the number of facings changes on the new modular (planogram). I know what the shelf will hold and I ignore the shelf capacity on the label and go by the facings. If it's not changed in the system by the department manager, the picks (autofill) will be screwed up, especially if they shrink the number of facings because then you'll get the same product coming out of the backroom over and over again.

I think the Scott 12 pack just changed to a more vertical stack when it was horizontal. The label at my store has not been changed to reflect that.

All that info is in the PDT but just how often do you think a flow team member is going to check that when they push?

You guys don't have shelf capacities on your labels in the US? We do up here in Canada.

Though, they're not always accurate. Sometimes you can fit more, sometimes you can't fit enough. "Fill to brand" is the rule at my store.

Last edited:
I've not known there to be an actual capacity on the labels; just the number of facings.

PFresh does have shelf capacity on some items, our store puts grey dots under the lip of the shelf for the breads and such with capacity so we know how many should go out since theres much more room on the shelf than capacity

Walmart's discount card is like a credit card- hard plastic, you slide it though the register for your discount, it also doubles as the way they do the time clock- instead of punching in their number they just swipe their card and punch the start work or whatever is needed. No destroying it by washing because its only paper or needing to laminate them. Seems simple but I want one of those.

Walmart's discount card is like a credit card- hard plastic, you slide it though the register for your discount, it also doubles as the way they do the time clock- instead of punching in their number they just swipe their card and punch the start work or whatever is needed. No destroying it by washing because its only paper or needing to laminate them. Seems simple but I want one of those.

The thing we swipe at the time clock is actually our badge. It has a sticker on the back of it with a barcode. They have it set up now that we can go to various other terminals in the store to use the "Electronic Time Clock" so we don't have to go to the back. We just use the handheld scanner at the terminal to scan the badge and pick "Start Work" etc.
The Walmart discount is bad because it doesn't include groceries. I actually save more at Target with my Red Card.

My husband works at Lowes on weekends and his discount card is like a credit card with the magnetic strip.

Did you guys ever start this thread? I know a few people who work for Costco and I definitely wish our pay was like Costco's!

Having worked as a cashier at Walmart, I HATE Target's policy on items that won't ring properly at a register.

At Walmart, if I had an item that didn't have any barcode or DPCI, I could just type in a quick description (e.g. "red tshirt") and an approximate price. No hassle.

At Target, I'd have to try to flag down a GSA/TL and have them walkie a salesfloor TM to look for an item on the shelf and hopefully find the DPCI for it... all the while guests are waiting and waiting at the register. Definitely NOT fast, fun, OR friendly.

Quarterly bonuses. My wife worked for Wal-Mart before she finished her Bachelors and she got ~$150 every time her store hit the right numbers. One time, my store hit some of the highest margins in the group and all we got was a plaque in the TSC and had our hours cut to help out other stores' payroll in the district. Oh, and we got a ton of Great Team cards in a feeble attempt to distract people from trying to figure out how they were going to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back