Archived Thinking about making a move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Team!
I've been with Spot for 10 years this coming August. I started as a Grocery TM, got signed off as a Hardlines TL for Toys & Sports after 6 months, and have been there ever since. As positions have been cut, I've acquired GPHIA, Stationary/Home Office, Electonics and MMB.
I've felt a little burnt out lately, but my ETL is pretty supportive and always gives me props for my areas considering the floor space I have, on top of keeping focus on GS and AAR in Electronics.
My STL approached me today, and asked if I'd be interested in doing something different. Seeing as I've been in HL 10 yrs, he thought I was due for a change. Our Starbucks TL recently moved out of state, leaving a spot open. We have 2 TM that applied, but they're not signed off and interviews aren't happening for another 6 weeks. They need a TL in the spot before 30 days is up or they break a contract with SB. My STL is sort of desperate to fill the spot, and he felt I was the strongest candidate amongst our current TLs to ask before pulling in an outside benchwarmer.
I'd get more $, make my own schedule, and reduce my workspace by about 1,000%.
It all feels like a win/win, but I'm not 100% convinced I should make the move.
Any thoughts from you folks? Should I take the plunge, or get ready for my next Patio to BTS transition??

Redeye would be happy to fill you in on the wonders of Starbuck TL wouldn't Red.

You've been feeling burnt out with HL(and I don't blame you, 10 years is an eternity to be over 1 department). They are handing you a chance to change things up. They are never going to lessen your HL workload, so I think now is the time to switch.

I'd swap. Things are never going to get easier on the floor. Starbucks will be totally different, but you'll never have to be there before 7, and you'll never be there later than close. Not a bad schedule. The main difference is that in most stores you're usually by yourself with a bit of overlap. It's more demanding in some ways, but overall it's less of a workload. IMO anyway.

Thanks folks. Been talking it over with the Mrs (she's the SOftlines TL). She says go for it, fool!
I guess I'm a little scared of the change. It almost seems to good to be true in some ways I guess.
I'd also have the option of being a non-key SrTL eventually, which means another $ increase.
I think I feel bad for leaving my Electronics team and my ETL more than anything...and I LOVE toys and electronics merch. They're both big parts of my "normal" life.
I'm gonna be brave and jump. I just needed to hear it from some other people I suppose.

Take it.
It will def be something fresh & a smaller area to lead. You'll have to answer to both SB & spot BP but it sounds like you've managed quite well in a large area. Having done foods, you'll have some experience with Steritech & Johnson-Diversey. Our TL has gone ON once or twice when we had a large reset (Q4) but - as sigma said - you'll seldom have to be there before 7am & you usually close up shop 2 hrs before the store does. If you have a good team, they can help you get settled in even quicker. If you don't, it's a good opp to build from the ground up.
What's helped our store is that FA & SB TLs work together & pushed for complete cross-training for both teams. It challenged the team to stretch beyond their comfort zone & they rose to the challenge. We're able to cover last-minute call-outs much better, TMs know they can pick up shifts more readily & our attendance is the best in the store.
I don't think you'd regret it.

Change can be intimidating, but just think of it as a new challenge. And if going for SrTL is in your plan you'll be getting more global experience.

I just left HL for a different position. Within a week my stress level has went down, I've had a decent work/life balance, & best of all is that I didn't feel this unbridled hate going into work. The company has turned HL into a deathtrap, get out while you can.

I just left HL for a different position. Within a week my stress level has went down, I've had a decent work/life balance, & best of all is that I didn't feel this unbridled hate going into work. The company has turned HL into a deathtrap, get out while you can.

Where are you now?

More money, scheduling, most likely REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS, TAKE IT MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to pricing. Either they want to work me out like the last 3-4 TL's in that position or they think I can improve the numbers (which is what I was told).

Good luck with pricing Stupid Rules. If you have any questions regarding price accuracy, feel free to ask. Just an FYI, the workload is going to start picking up within a month or so (workload during 2nd Quarter gets a little heavier) and during "J" months (June, July, January) is when the workload is usually heavier than others (excluding Christmas time).

So that's why work has been crappy...
I've been told to focus less on electronics but I don't know how to do that considering it's the only area I have any team members or measurable results. (I have all of hard lines--with the exception of market/p-fresh).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back