Archived Thinking about Returning after Quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Basically, I used to work at Target for less than a year as a cashier. I had no problems and even came in on days that I wasn't scheduled and was generally reliable.

I actually quit Target about two months ago because a job at a company my brother worked at opened up (long story) and I wanted a more stable job with regular hours. Unfortunately, the position did not work out and I was let go by the new company after a month and a half.

I have been applying to other jobs, but I haven't been successful in finding another job yet and I am strongly considering returning to Target. I did put in two weeks notice so I am eligible for re-hire. I am just curious if anyone else has ever returned to Target after such a short time. How did other team members react to your return?

From what I've heard on here, Target's hours have been slashed and even team members with open availability are only getting 25-30 hours. I would hope that hours won't stay like that forever, but I am not sure how Target has changed since I've been gone with regards to End to End or any remodeling.

If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize, but I hope to hear back from you about how to go about re-applying to Target.

I returned after five months. So far, it’s actually been good. I thought that it would be weird because I used to work there, but it’s not too bad. I’m happy I left in the first place because it gave me the opportunity to see another Softlines retailer and I was able to learn new things that I can use now. I think you have to wait 90 days until you can reapply, but I’m not 100% sure.

I believe you have to wait 2-3 months from your last day and be listed as re-hireable to reapply.

We had a girl who left our store to go to another store in our shopping center and returned after a few months....she was a GSTL. She had been with my store for close to two years. When she came back though, she started to steal things.....she's no longer with Target and I'm sure she's got trouble with the law now.
The worst part of that is that she was good friends with our AP. He felt awful about having to be a part of her being fired....but his loyalty is to the store. AP knew for several days that the police were going to come for her. Can't imagine being AP in that situation.

I left Target, and came back. I like the fact that I am making more $$ per hour than the last time I worked here. However, Spot has majorly slashed hours, particularly for cashiers ( in my store anyway).
Cashiers are lucky to hit 20 hours in any given week, but typically get 15-18. So if you have bills to pay, you can't rely on Spot. Now if Spot is just a side job, and you have other income you can do alright.

Good luck getting 25+ hours.
10-20 hours.
I left Target, and came back. I like the fact that I am making more $$ per hour than the last time I worked here. However, Spot has majorly slashed hours, particularly for cashiers ( in my store anyway).
Cashiers are lucky to hit 20 hours in any given week, but typically get 15-18. So if you have bills to pay, you can't rely on Spot. Now if Spot is just a side job, and you have other income you can do alright.
I hate to be blunt, if there are so few hours for cashiers, I am not sure if it's really feasible for me to return. I just don't know what leadership is thinking cutting hours since I've seen many posts about how team members cannot complete their tasks because they don't have enough time or other team members working with them.

My store gives me 35-40 and I cashier. All the cashiers get full time. We are a busy store though.

My store gives me 35-40 and I cashier. All the cashiers get full time. We are a busy store though.

Other than the GSTLs, no one gets more than 25 on front end. Even picking up hours in other work centers won't get you up to 30.

If you're looking to work full time with a flexible availability you should be able to get 30 to 40 hours. At least I've found this to be true at stores that rely pretty heavily on minors for their workforce. Minors are going back to school very soon so they're not going to be able to work as much. Since your last day was less than 90 days ago, it should be relatively easy to get re-hired at your old store (if they want you back). Just call your HR.

If you're looking to work full time with a flexible availability you should be able to get 30 to 40 hours. At least I've found this to be true at stores that rely pretty heavily on minors for their workforce. Minors are going back to school very soon so they're not going to be able to work as much. Since your last day was less than 90 days ago, it should be relatively easy to get re-hired at your old store (if they want you back). Just call your HR.
I think for a while my store was scared to hire minors. We went about 6 years without one. Didn't have any again until this last Christmas.

Also per usual if you ask they will tell you Target does not guarantee a set amount of hours. I was told this at my interview 11 years ago. I've managed to average over 30 hours all this time but I've had 18 hour weeks, 23 hour weeks, and 25 hour weeks and no I didn't request time off. Having vacation hours has been my saving grace.

Other than the GSTLs, no one gets more than 25 on front end. Even picking up hours in other work centers won't get you up to 30.
This was very much my experience. I asked about opportunities to cross-train in order to receive more hours, but my store leadership never seemed to follow up on them. If I return, I would like to be cross-trained and have more hours, but I'll see if I go talk to my store.

This was very much my experience. I asked about opportunities to cross-train in order to receive more hours, but my store leadership never seemed to follow up on them. If I return, I would like to be cross-trained and have more hours, but I'll see if I go talk to my store.
I worked for Target from 2012-2014, then again starting in July 2016 to current. My first two years I was strictly cafe and didnt have an issue with it because it was just paying my gas to get to college.

When I came back it was hard. I interviewed strictly for Starbucks, but the same day as my interview, HR hired this girl my TL didn't want to hire. They offered me cashier with the open option to get trained to Starbucks in a few months. Didn't happen. I had to fight for weeks, and then I was finally able to get away from cashiering and into consumables. I wasn't able to get trained into Starbucks until 5 months later. Now I basically run it.

Moral of the story, keep asking if you need to. It'll get you there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back