Archived Thinking of applying for ETL in Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my B.S and have been a Regular Hardlines Team Member/Market guru for almost a year in a half with the company..

I've been given top performer from just about every Team Lead that I have at my store (by now I think its about 8 times (1 time by 2 TLs). I can't remember the last time I paid for a Starbuck's coffee, haha. (I am not sure if it even matters if you have ever gotten Top Performer).

Either way the store I work at is near top of our district (out of about 75-80 stores)..

My ace in the hole (or which might be) is that I also have dual citizenship with the U.S and Canada... and I know with all the recent expansion into Canada someone with Dual Citizenship might be of interest..

I kind of let the secret out to one of my Team Leads that I was thinking of applying for it, and have since, been asked numerous times (by multiple TLs) to apply for an open Pfresh P.A position for "Leadership Experience".. I am not sure if I should take this as a "grooming process" or not, but I applied today and during my P.A interview I will let the ETL interviewer know my goals within the company..

I'd like Feedback from present ETL's letting me know what the chances are as of now, because I know it is quite a jump from TM to ETL in Training, but honestly.. I do not seeing it as big of a jump as going straight from college to ETL in Training... And also what to expect as an ETL in training.

Thanks, in advance
Ben

I know two people who went from TM to ETL, without becoming TL first. One of them was a salesfloor TM who worked at Target for 1 year and then applied for the internship.
After she graduated she became an ETL. The second person worked at Target for 2-3 years as a TM, when he neared his graduation he talked to his STL about becoming an ETL. He told me his STL was really supportive. After he graduated he also became an ETL.

I also have an ETL at my store but they went from TM > TL > ETL
I don't know if they had to do any waiting.

Getting an etl job at spot is 2 ways, outside hire or srtl with 18 months of waiting for an etl job to open.

Which is sooooo stupid....I bet if I would have applied to be an ETL to begin with right out of college I would of gotten hired but since I didnt and it was too late by the time I started working at target. Now I probably cant be an ETL unless I jump through all the hoops.....

On the other hand you have these recent grads with no retail experience getting hired that have zero idea on ANYTHING about target processes or tasks or culture. Its funny because I have a BA, have been a shift supervisor at my previous job and have worked retail/customer service since I was 17. I still dont know why Target is so scared of hiring from within the company. I guess its a terrible idea to promote people who know the in and outs of the store, multiple workcenters, and actually want to be promoted, stay, and work hard. If there is one thing above all else that I would put as a CON about target is their promotion and hiring policies.

Last edited:
Getting an etl job at spot is 2 ways, outside hire or srtl with 18 months of waiting for an etl job to open.

Which is sooooo stupid....I bet if I would have applied to be an ETL to begin with right out of college I would of gotten hired but since I didnt and it was too late by the time I started working at target. Now I probably cant be an ETL unless I jump through all the hoops.....

On the other hand you have these recent grads with no retail experience getting hired that have zero idea on ANYTHING about target processes or tasks or culture. Its funny because I have a BA, have been a shift supervisor at my previous job and have worked retail/customer service since I was 17. I still dont know why Target is so scared of hiring from within the company. I guess its a terrible idea to promote people who know the in and outs of the store, multiple workcenters, and actually want to be promoted, stay, and work hard. If there is one thing above all else that I would put as a CON about target is their promotion and hiring policies.

You realize Target has you jump through all these hoops, so they can determine whether you will be a good fit or not? Plus, a lot of the fresh out of college ETLs don't make the cut either. TM to ETL is a huge jump, and they need to know that you can look at the bigger picture.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not very keen on Target management myself, but that is how it is.

If you're hellbent on being a manager right away, try other retail outlets.

If you want to be an ETL, the fastest way is to quit for 6 months and then reapply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back