Archived *This* close...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoomm

ex-caffeinator
I am pretty damn close to leaving, as of this afternoon. Individual stores really do seem to make a huge difference, one way or the other.

My first store wasn't perfect--I doubt any are--but it was great, overall. Everyone treated each other like decent humans, and for the most part, it made us want to do our work well. If somebody had a problem, we helped each other out and were generally just good people.

The store I transferred to in October is just about to make me crack.

This afternoon, after I clocked out, I informed the ETL that I really didn't think I'd be able to do my opening shift tomorrow. I've had a flare up of back pain, and I know myself. I could come in, but there's a 90% chance I'd end up on the floor crying halfway through the open. Wouldn't be very useful to the store, and certainly wouldn't do me any good. I already have a chiropractic appointment scheduled for an hour after my shift is supposed to end tomorrow. When I'm in this much pain, I consider driving risky, and I don't need to push it past a point I cannot get help for myself.

Perhaps I just got too used to decent coworkers at my first store. They'd have said something along the lines of, "Oh no, hope you feel better soon! We'll get things covered here, you take care of you, and let us know how you're doing and whether or not you can do your other upcoming shifts." Here, I get a guilt-trip of my "excessive" and "problematic" history of call-outs. I've called out TWICE since I transferred. Twice, because I was sick with a sinus bug, and I work in food, so they'd have had to send me home anyway. I honestly should have called out more than I actually did. My direct lead has called out at least three times the amount I have.

I do bust my ass for Spot. Nine times out of ten, I'll come in to cover someone else's shift without any complaint. I stay late whenever needed. I rarely get all my required breaks in a shift (and yeah, I tell management about it, especially when they ask, and nothing happens). I'm cross-trained for 7 different positions, and have very open availability, but still rarely get enough hours even when I remind everyone to put me on the list for call-outs.

I was really hoping to keep on with Spot, even if I drop to fewer hours to work elsewhere temporarily, so that I could easily transfer again when I plan to move in a couple of years. But I don't feel like I deserve this treatment. If I open tomorrow in this kind of pain, I will absolutely be calling out for the next few days.

I'm glad I already have another job (likely) lined up. I was going to take minimal hours for it, so I could better make ends meet, but if they do hire me, I might just give Target a long resignation letter instead. I'll probably sit down with someone in HR first, but I won't hold my breath that anything will change.

Last edited:
Thanks, I hope I get it too. I don't expect it to be quite enough hours to get by on, but it'll be better than nothing, and I'll obviously have time to look for yet another.

I'll admit, I have had previous problems with calling out. However, that was at my first store a year ago, and I actually told them to expect it before it happened--because I had major abdominal surgery, and had no idea how I would be even when allowed to return to work. They were great about it, and very accommodating, despite my rockier-than-expected recovery. Even months after the fact, LODs and ETLs would occasionally just check on me to see if I was doing well. I feel like I tried to make up for it by being the go-to person when anyone else called out, once I was healthy enough.

They don't give a shit at this store. I've tried giving several shits myself, just to be a decent person, but I'm running out quickly.

I also remember telling this store, even before I transferred, that I have a chronic illness. For lack of a better term, it's in a "remission" right now, but I have no idea when it could come back to haunt me, and that I won't be able to work as much if it does. They said they were fine with that. I do not believe them now.

Once I calm down, I might investigate another option first...
There's a store almost equidistant from me that's larger, but also seems to have a better team. I've been borrowed there a few times, and noticed a huge difference in morale and teamwork, even when they had a really difficult situation to deal with.

Last edited:
Aaannnnddddd.....

After my review this afternoon, the straw broke this camel's back. I drove home singing Take This Jay Oh Bee.

Honestly, the review itself was much better than I expected, but it was also one of the most awkward things I've ever had to endure. ETL brought up my health as a negative point (did I mention I came in today to work in food, despite having a fever all night, just so said ETL wouldn't bitch at me for calling out?), and I just about felt steam coming out of my ears. I decided to, in part, take a cowardly way out, and not make any actual complaints when asked if I had anything I wanted to bring up (I already spoke with HR about that issue, and ultimately nothing happened). But I feel like I've gotten to the point where I will snap, it will be in front of customers, and it will get me fired. While I wish I would've spoken my mind, I would still rather leave mostly on my own terms, if it's going to happen. To-may-toe, to-mah-toe, but there it is.

ETL also said they would not accommodate scheduling for the other job I just started, which is not what they said when I first mentioned it. Honestly not surprised with that one... that ETL changes the schedule more often than most people change underwear.

I don't need to be coddled when I have injuries or an illness. But I do expect to be treated like a human, rather than a robot, when it happens. If I were able to consciously control my immune system and pain receptors, I'd be a damn super hero, not a retail worker.

Last edited:
That's such a bummer. My store sounds like your first store and I would feel exactly the same if I had to work in a store like your current one.

Because you know it's store by store definitely leave before you snap. Keep that rehire status in place so you are free to work elsewhere later.

Sorry your health is suffering. Take care and remember not to care about the store more than leadership does. We don't get that kind of cash. ;)

My store doesn't care about injuries even if you have doctors notes and Etls basically guilt you into coming in.. I don't fall for it but a lot do and end up making themselves worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back