thoughts on the new pride collection?

If it's not about PR and they truly care then why not just put it on a rack in it's appropriate department? Why put it on a special rack with all types of special signing in the middle of the aisle for all to see?

I am not offended nor do I really care one way or another about this collection. I just think it's funny that anyone thinks it's anything other than a win win for Target, they get sales and everyone thinks they care, that's it.

If they cared so much they would have displays for all of the holidays that only effect a small percentage of the population like Kwanza or Hanukkah (which they have 1 small back endcap every year).

Now we're back to the making money thing.
If they could make a ton of money off of Kwanza or Hanukkah, you can bet there would be a big section for it.
But even in NJ where I lived with a heavy Jewish population most of the Hanukkah stuff didn't sell.
Partially because they didn't know what to sell, (stuff for passover, really?), and partially because Hanukkah isn't freaking Christmas.
We don't spend money the same way people do on Hanukkah that people do on Christmas stuff.
It's not that kind of holiday, no matter how hard people try to sell it that way.

Anyway, Spot does know they will sell Pride stuff.
Its been proven year after year.
So they just make it bigger and fancier every year because they know it will sell.
Which means they will make more money.
Which means next year it will be even bigger.

Good publicity will be great for them and pissing off all the right people will be good for them.
Because they will make even more money.

I do give Spot credit for being out front on this stuff and for treating their LGBTQIA TMs well.
They are ahead of the curve there but it doesn't mean that is for altruistic reasons.
They just know that a larger percentage of the population identity in LGBTQIA community than ever before and being conscious of that beneficial to them.

Now we're back to the making money thing.
If they could make a ton of money off of Kwanza or Hanukkah, you can bet there would be a big section for it.
But even in NJ where I lived with a heavy Jewish population most of the Hanukkah stuff didn't sell.
Partially because they didn't know what to sell, (stuff for passover, really?), and partially because Hanukkah isn't freaking Christmas.
We don't spend money the same way people do on Hanukkah that people do on Christmas stuff.
It's not that kind of holiday, no matter how hard people try to sell it that way.

Anyway, Spot does know they will sell Pride stuff.
Its been proven year after year.
So they just make it bigger and fancier every year because they know it will sell.
Which means they will make more money.
Which means next year it will be even bigger.

Good publicity will be great for them and pissing off all the right people will be good for them.
Because they will make even more money.

I do give Spot credit for being out front on this stuff and for treating their LGBTQIA TMs well.
They are ahead of the curve there but it doesn't mean that is for altruistic reasons.
They just know that a larger percentage of the population identity in LGBTQIA community than ever before and being conscious of that beneficial to them.
Ok I agree. But do you think that if they stop selling the pride collection due to low sales, that there would be a huge uproar? People would be pissed and not take any type of reasonable explanation.

Like I said, insufferable, both of you.

What? Retail stores want to make money? The hell you say! There's a billion ways they can make money. They don't HAVE to carry Pride merchandise. Lots of retailers don't. They choose to. This is good.

They put it out front with signage to draw attention to it, like any retailer does. Otherwise it may get lost in the mix, people may not even realize we carry it. It obviously does bother you @IhateOPmodel ,otherwise you wouldn't keep mentioning it. Get over it.

Ok I agree. But do you think that if they stop selling the pride collection due to low sales, that there would be a huge uproar? People would be pissed and not take any type of reasonable explanation.

I don't think they would stop selling it.
They would do the same thing they do to us Jews and make a token endcap.
That's a case of not wanting people whining at them so they take the loss.

What? Retail stores want to make money? The hell you say! There's a billion ways they can make money. They don't HAVE to carry Pride merchandise. Lots of retailers don't. They choose to. This is good.

They put it out front with signage to draw attention to it, like any retailer does. Otherwise it may get lost in the mix, people may not even realize we carry it. It obviously does bother you @IhateOPmodel ,otherwise you wouldn't keep mentioning it. Get over it.

I never said it was bad and I gave them credit for being ahead of the curve.

We had an adaptive clothing line one year. Some people were thrilled about it, but I guess sales weren't stellar because they stopped selling it. I called to complain when they no longer carried the pants I had 10 pair of for my little one. I don't think my complaint got past the TM who answered the phone. I don't think the pride collection will ever suffer this fate.

I never said it was bad and I gave them credit for being ahead of the curve.
Appreciate it commie. As a capitalist (mostly lol) sometimes the anti sentiment rubs me the wrong way. But I do understand it. Even though I support free markets and don't hate rich people, I would fully support an overhaul of our abysmal health care system.

I am over it. I was never under it. I was just pointing out they weren't only selling it in support. They have other motives, actually 1 motive and that's to make money. I also was pointing out that other members of small or overlooked communities don't get the same treatment and what would happen if this collection got the same treatment.

I am not against it one way or another. I am supportive of all people and their beliefs. I didn't mean to strike a nerve or upset you, just trying to have a conversation.

How would they make this more inclusive?

I agree. I'm already on the fence about the trans chevron but I accept that there, it's still LGBT. I'm just a fan of the original rainbow. But the black and brown on the flag? I'm sorry, that's not my flag, that's not me.

I do wish they had more shirts that didn't have messages. The generic rainbow shirts and tank tops of past are what I prefer. I did find a dress shirt that I love. Pride Black Grid Collection - https://www.target.com/p/pride-black-grid-collection/-/A-85638400#lnk=sametab
Frankly they exclude a large portion of the entire community every year. Trans things are trickling in more and more each year but the fact they exclude the entire + pietion is very frustrrating. Other stores have no problems branching out to include those.
But thats a matter of opinion
And its all PR bullshit anyway because as a company target is just as uninclusive as any other retsil environment so *shrug* no point spilling tea over it until humanity grows the hell up and stops acting like indoctrinated babies

Frankly they exclude a large portion of the entire community every year. Trans things are trickling in more and more each year but the fact they exclude the entire + pietion is very frustrrating. Other stores have no problems branching out to include those.
And its all PR bullshit anyway because as a company target is just as uninclusive as any other retsil environment so *shrug* no point spilling tea over it until humanity grows the hell up and stops acting like indoctrinated babies
What are you on about? Target literally cannot win with some people.

Target has included more trans merchandise this year. But apparently it's all just a money grab anyway so I guess they should be flogged. You just can't please everyone.

I am over it. I was never under it. I was just pointing out they weren't only selling it in support. They have other motives, actually 1 motive and that's to make money. I also was pointing out that other members of small or overlooked communities don't get the same treatment and what would happen if this collection got the same treatment.

I am not against it one way or another. I am supportive of all people and their beliefs. I didn't mean to strike a nerve or upset you, just trying to have a conversation.
Appreciate that. Just don't understand why featuring merchandise would upset people unless they had a bias against the folks who would like and appreciate the merchandise.

We had a large display for Hispanic/Latino Heritage month last year and nobody said a word about it here. Also had a smaller display for Womens History Month in March, which frankly I think should have been more prominent, not less.

What's pietion?

I've found some stuff for the pansexual, genderqueer, transgender, asexual, NB, and genderfluid flag colors. IDK, given that Target's big push for Pride and black history merchandise seems to be going for individual artists and designers, maybe push designers to do more of that stuff? On the other hand, they are a business, and the "+" is a lot smaller a group than strictly "LGBT", so IDK, maybe they just don't want to waste money on stuff that has a small audience to begin with.

What major stores branch out to include the "+"?

Not sure what more Target could do to be more inclusive?

I don't think they would stop selling it.
They would do the same thing they do to us Jews and make a token endcap.
That's a case of not wanting people whining at them so they take the loss.
Here we are a year later and a completely different situation. Let's see what they do now that it is costing them money. Next years collection and how they chose to handle it will be interesting.

Here we are a year later and a completely different situation. Let's see what they do now that it is costing them money. Next years collection and how they chose to handle it will be interesting.

A year where reactionary right wing nutjobs have been calling anyone who is LGBTQ groomers.
Target is dealing with stochastic terrorism.

Ok, but will they continue to carry the pride collection next year since it is now costing them money?

My guess is they will over course correct because that is what corporations do.
They will have product but like I said it will be a tiny endcap in the back of the store.
It will also depend a lot on how this country reacts to this bullshit.
Most people aren't nasty bigots.
At some point they are going to get sick and tired of these awful fucking people.
I'm just afraid it will take a bunch of people getting killed to make that happen.

My guess is they will over course correct because that is what corporations do.
They will have product but like I said it will be a tiny endcap in the back of the store.
It will also depend a lot on how this country reacts to this bullshit.
Most people aren't nasty bigots.
At some point they are going to get sick and tired of these awful fucking people.
I'm just afraid it will take a bunch of people getting killed to make that happen.
we’re just sick of rainbows being shoved down our throats… please stop

we’re just sick of rainbows being shoved down our throats… please stop

Do you think cishet people are shoving everything about themselves down LGBTQ+ folx throats?
I mean seriously, as a cishet dude I'm catered to with movies, books, websites, advertising, and every other form of media.
When I get on the bus there are straight couples holding hands or doing other PDA.
Now, my youngest daughter is gay and going to get married soon, so I probably see a lot more rainbow stuff than most people but I have never felt like it was being shoved anywhere.
My second question is, if you had a brother, sister, or child who was LGBTQ+ would you feel like it was being shoved down your throat?

Last edited:
Do you think cishet people are shoving everything about themselves down LGBTQ+ folx throats?
I mean seriously, as a cishet dude I'm catered to with movies, books, websites, advertising, and every other form of media.
When I get on the bus there are straight couples holding hands or doing other PDA.
Now, my youngest daughter is gay and going to get married soon, so I probably see a lot more rainbow stuff than most people but I have never felt like it was being shoved anywhere.
My second question is, if you had a brother, sister, or child who was LGBTQ+ would you feel like it was being shoved down your throat?
don’t trip it’s just my opinion man..we’re all allowed to have different ones ..last time i checked…

don’t trip it’s just my opinion man..we’re all allowed to have different ones ..last time i checked…

You are absolutely allowed to have your own opinion.
And I am allowed to have my opinion on your opinion.
Just because you are allowed to have an opinion doesn't mean people aren't allowed to question you about it.

If they cared so much they would have displays for all of the holidays that only effect a small percentage of the population like Kwanza or Hanukkah (which they have 1 small back endcap every year).
Maybe at your store is a small endcap in the back . Dollar spot had 4 islands , mini had an aisle , rear sea had it , stationary also cse with it .

Back