Tips for a GM team member???

Hey everyone! Recently, I was hired as a seasonal tm working in GM. I finished my training and today was my second day working alone and so far I like the job I’m just a little stressed and have a few questions!

1. When training, I was told that there are “5 essential steps” for the GM position that you should base your day around. I honestly forgot the exact order but if someone else is aware of this could you refresh my memory. I know that zoning is one of them.

2. What the hell is reshop? I’ve heard other people talking about it and I personally haven’t been trained for it, I’m sure it’ll come up one of these days by my TL’s.

** 3. For INFs, my TL told me to just call her on the walkie when I can’t find something. Due to COVID our store has been a bit all of over the place with inventory so when doing batches there’s usually at least 4-5 items that I can’t find (and I do check the entire section). I don’t want to drive my TL nuts asking every 5 mins to meet me, is it normal to ask other TM’s for assistance when looking for items? Would that be annoying?? ALSO any tips for keeping INF stats low??

I know that ASANTS but any other tips regarding the GM position as a whole would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Hey everyone! Recently, I was hired as a seasonal tm working in GM. I finished my training and today was my second day working alone and so far I like the job I’m just a little stressed and have a few questions!

1. When training, I was told that there are “5 essential steps” for the GM position that you should base your day around. I honestly forgot the exact order but if someone else is aware of this could you refresh my memory. I know that zoning is one of them.

2. What the hell is reshop? I’ve heard other people talking about it and I personally haven’t been trained for it, I’m sure it’ll come up one of these days by my TL’s.

** 3. For INFs, my TL told me to just call her on the walkie when I can’t find something. Due to COVID our store has been a bit all of over the place with inventory so when doing batches there’s usually at least 4-5 items that I can’t find (and I do check the entire section). I don’t want to drive my TL nuts asking every 5 mins to meet me, is it normal to ask other TM’s for assistance when looking for items? Would that be annoying?? ALSO any tips for keeping INF stats low??

I know that ASANTS but any other tips regarding the GM position as a whole would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Reshop aka abandon aka go backs....merchandise either returned at guest service or merchandise found around the store that didn't belong in that location

My speech to every newbie is:
Guests are the reason you are here, they are your primary task - through assistance and back-up cashiering.
that being said you have responsibilities between guests, in order of priority:

1. ZONE - A good zone in your area is your top priority - this includes removing merch/trash that does not belong, bringing merch to the edge of the shelves, placing
items in each ‘facing’ (how many items are displayed at the edge of the shelf according to shelf label), if you can manage it it would be great if you
Could face each label outwards to show product label. Detail zoning would include ensuring older dates are at the front for items in grocery & pharmacy,
expired items are damaged out.
2. ONE FOR ONE batch - my work, EXF , fill group fill. Should be dropped, pulled, pushed, backstocked in its entirety, daily.
3. Truck push & reshop from guest service - come clean (meaning clear and finish all) by pushing what fits, detrashing & back stocking the remainder
4. Price change - ticket your clearance endcap, post pc and clearance labels given to you, process salvage
5. SPL - set and fill your endcaps as required (your TL should give you advanced notice of when they are changing)

There is a lot to learn to be a GM TM - I am disappointed you are working alone so soon, hopefully your TL will work with you a little more each shift.
My advice - listen closely, ask a lot of questions and pay attention to feedback. Good luck !

your mention of INF confuses me - are you on the GM or fulfillment team ? Unusual for someone to do both Except when flex is slammed.
Asking about INF’s is NOT a bother - a TL worth their salt should prefer helping you find the item to avoiding an interruption resulting in a higher INF score.

Thanks for your post I appreciate how detailed it is. Yeah I work on GM however I’ve been put down as fulfillment all week specifically “PIC.” So basically I’ve been doing OPU’s and batches (and of course helping guests around the store when needed).

Don’t complain is one piece of advice. Another is to soak up any and all training from another team member or leader that you can get. Chances are the training will suck ass. This forum is great resource better than any training you will get from your store trust me. People can and will helpful/sympathetic and patience with you.

Welcome to TBR definitely ask other team members for help finding an item, I would personally be real happy to help someone find something!!

most of your training is goimg to come on the job figuring it out yourself. Ask questions veteran tm and tl will much rather you do it right then to just wing it. I would also recommend reading through these threads and askimg questions as you get more familiar with the job. There are a lot of tips and tricks but it can be an overwhelming amount of information if your this new. I help new tm and even vets all day lomg and i never mind it

Don’t complain is one piece of advice. Another is to soak up any and all training from another team member or leader that you can get. Chances are the training will suck ass. This forum is great resource better than any training you will get from your store trust me. People can and will helpful/sympathetic and patience with you.
Sorry for the late response but thank you! Update -my training wasn’t too great however I’m super comfortable at the job now and I’ve learned a lot on my own just running around. The forum has definitely been helpful :)

most of your training is goimg to come on the job figuring it out yourself. Ask questions veteran tm and tl will much rather you do it right then to just wing it. I would also recommend reading through these threads and askimg questions as you get more familiar with the job. There are a lot of tips and tricks but it can be an overwhelming amount of information if your this new. I help new tm and even vets all day lomg and i never mind it
Update: thank you for the response! I definitely agree, I’ve learned a lot from walking around the store alone and from long time staff. After training I did ask necessary questions when needed and now it’s safe to say that I feel really comfortable at the job and I actually enjoy it :)

Update: thank you for the response! I definitely agree, I’ve learned a lot from walking around the store alone and from long time staff. After training I did ask necessary questions when needed and now it’s safe to say that I feel really comfortable at the job and I actually enjoy it :)
Don’t feel singled out about the lack of training. You’ll learn as you go, and don’t be afraid to ask questions! Good luck! ASANTS, but from what I have seen and heard, most people typically get 3 training shifts and then you’re on your own.

Sorry for the late response but thank you! Update -my training wasn’t too great however I’m super comfortable at the job now and I’ve learned a lot on my own just running around. The forum has definitely been helpful :)
Your welcome i knew it was gonna be not great training from the store. It good that you got comfortable with the job but not too comfy though it might drive you nuts. I hope you some thick skin good luck.

Back