Archived tl and Facebook.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I'm a newly promoted team leader, and I'm wondering what your stores thoughts are on Team Leads and being friends with team members on Facebook. I know. Seems silly, but it can be a problems. Currently I'm not friends with any of my aligned team members but I am friends with some other team members that I worked with from before I was promoted to a Team Leader. Does any store have a policy on this? I don't believe we do, but i believe my stl would look down on this. Any thoughts?

I'm friends with many people at work...including quite a few TLs (and SrTLs). I rarely even mention work on Facebook, so it isn't a problem.

I don't think it's a good idea.
Social media has a way of coming back to bite you on the ass if you aren't very careful like RG is suggesting.

i'm friends on facebook with a lot of people in my store. I usually just don't add anyone and let them add me and i don't talk work at all on it. It's funny after i coach someone and they suddenly delete me. :)

Bad idea.

I was only Facebook friends with only one TL that I highly trusted during my time. She was the one that told me all about the Target forums and always kept me up to date on dirt.

But I don't even Friend my current co-workers. I don't want a post or a photo to be used against me. So its best not to Friend anyone from work.

I'm friends with TM's, TL's, ETL's (including HR and AP.) It totally depends on what you post, and what your friends post, on your Facebook.. It works out fine for me because I never do anything on Facebook. It's just another way for people to get ahold of me. I know some TM's at my store use it as a way to contact each other about shift swapping.

A lot of TMs at my store are friends with TLs and SrTLs. Some are friends with ETLs and even the STL. Most of us get along, so there's not a whole lot of drama on Facebook.

Or when I really want to rip, I use my twitter for it. I have kept that separate from everything.

I'm friends with a couple TLs and other TMs on facebook. The TLs rarely post anything. If I ever post anything about work it's usually some random observation or comment like "holy crap frozen was selling like crazy today". Never any drama that I've seen.

As hr, I don't recommend it. At my store there was an incident, where a tm was venting on facebook and her tl tried to have performance conversation with her. Anyone who was friends with her on Facebook knew the entire situation and rumors and gossip followed in the store. If your a tl, you cannot try to hold tms accountable for what they post on their social media, instead call the integrity hotline.

As long as you post smart on your Facebook wall. Don't post nasty things not just about target, but about anything. Just be more professional. You're a leader to your peers now. I am friends with many of my team leads and a few of my executives on there including my store team lead on linked in.

I would not recommend being friends with any of your team members on any social networking site. One day you a coach them, and then they can and will try to dig something up on you on your social networking site and bring it to leadership's attention to place you in a negative light, even if it was something harmless. I have not had a personal experience with this, however I have seen it happen many times in my store. Be careful.

Listen to all of the posts here that are telling you to be cautious. Ultimately, it's your decision to make, but do know that these actions have consequences. I've seen at least 5 instances where corrective actions were issued, including termination, as a result of team members' (this includes leaders) interaction on social media.

Yesterday, a SrTL who I am friends with on Facebook put a status up disparaging another TM about a comment she made being excited about a new album coming out. A lot of other people who know this TM saw it and liked it or made some comment laughing.

I ignored it, and feel bad for the TM (who isn't friends with her so may or may not know about it) but clearly there are a lot of people out there who don't get that you probably shouldn't be vague-booking about your coworkers. If you feel you might ever be that person, don't friend any coworkers on social media.

I don't friend anyone I work with directly at Target or any Team leader. I want to avoid all problems it could cause. now I am friends with people on the Flow team because we have no interactions at work but that is just my opinion on the subject.

im friends with tons of tm's and even some etl's on fb. just dont post anything you wouldnt say out loud is my motto.

I wont add any TLs or etls on Fb...I don't say anything on there about Target anyways...However, as a Tm, I don't want to feel as though they are looking over my shoulder. So, its a two way street. I wouldn't add them...and would advise them not to add you.

Yesterday, a SrTL who I am friends with on Facebook put a status up disparaging another TM about a comment she made being excited about a new album coming out. A lot of other people who know this TM saw it and liked it or made some comment laughing.

I ignored it, and feel bad for the TM (who isn't friends with her so may or may not know about it) but clearly there are a lot of people out there who don't get that you probably shouldn't be vague-booking about your coworkers. If you feel you might ever be that person, don't friend any coworkers on social media.

what album was it??

I had a guy that was friends with his etl on Facebook and he would rant a lot about work. One day he said he was gonna kill that bitch that got him in trouble at work. We all knew who he was referring to. He was fired and assured aressted. Be careful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back