Tl has no boundaries. Want them to stop, don’t want them to get in trouble. Advice?

I have a TL who is very touchy feely. In the past month, they have done the following all on a near daily basis:

Swinging their arm around my shoulder, getting very close to my face. Grabbing my upper arm and wrists in nearly every interaction, shaking me by the shoulders, leaning on me and over me when I’m crouching down, biting me multiple times on my neck, raising her hands threatening to hit me, ACTUALLY hitting me, on the back, chest, shoulder, and backside. They have done this in front of customers and co-workers. It’s gotten to the point where I almost have anxiety attacks because of it. They’ve talked (jokingly) about how they’ve bitten other coworkers before ( and how it led to said coworkers quitting). I took this as a joke at first but now as the behavior escalates, I’m seeing it’s anything but. Asking politely does not work, they do not have boundaries.

I hold no ill will against this TL. I like working with them when they aren’t harassing me, I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m scared to bring it to my ETL because I don’t want to face retaliation, or get them in trouble. I just want them to stop. I’ve been thinking of even asking for a transfer because I don’t want to cause any trouble by reporting it. I’ve never had someone treat me like this at work and I don’t know how to navigate it. There’s so much uncertainty. Any info/advice is very appreciated.

I have a TL who is very touchy feely. In the past month, they have done the following all on a near daily basis:

Swinging their arm around my shoulder, getting very close to my face. Grabbing my upper arm and wrists in nearly every interaction, shaking me by the shoulders, leaning on me and over me when I’m crouching down, biting me multiple times on my neck, raising her hands threatening to hit me, ACTUALLY hitting me, on the back, chest, shoulder, and backside. They have done this in front of customers and co-workers. It’s gotten to the point where I almost have anxiety attacks because of it. They’ve talked (jokingly) about how they’ve bitten other coworkers before ( and how it led to said coworkers quitting). I took this as a joke at first but now as the behavior escalates, I’m seeing it’s anything but. Asking politely does not work, they do not have boundaries.

I hold no ill will against this TL. I like working with them when they aren’t harassing me, I just don’t know what to do anymore. I’m scared to bring it to my ETL because I don’t want to face retaliation, or get them in trouble. I just want them to stop. I’ve been thinking of even asking for a transfer because I don’t want to cause any trouble by reporting it. I’ve never had someone treat me like this at work and I don’t know how to navigate it. There’s so much uncertainty. Any info/advice is very appreciated.
Report the last event to your sd, etl, etl hr now.

Last edited:
HR NOW! GO TO HR!

That is not alright and your TL should be in trouble. If it were me, I wouldn't go to HR. I'd report it on Origami because biting is a TM safety issue. That will send an email to your SD, every ETL and AP because AP owns safety. It will also go to the APBP, which will help get around any store level politics.

But, let me repeat, This is not alright. Do not worry about getting the TL in trouble. No one, including you, should have to put up with harrassment at work. Please report this so you are the last TM who has to put up with this and not just another in a string of victims.

Back in the 80's, early 90's, when I ran brigades in big commercial kitchens everybody played grabass all the time.
Not when it was really busy of course but afterwards when everybody was letting all the pressure off or before when you were getting things stocked, it was so common as to be the norm.
If you felt uncomfortable people would just tell you that's just how it is and not to take it personally.

Kinds glad things don't work that way anymore.
It wasn't a good thing then and it's not a good thing now.
There was always one or two people who took advantage and would push things to a point where they would have to get smacked.
Though it was usually a guy.

The folks who have suggested that you go to HR have got it right but it sounds like you don't want to get them in trouble.
So ultimately you are going to have to smack them, figuratively at least.
The next time she does something that makes you uncomfortable, step away from her, raise your hand palm out and say in a loud, clear voice.
"I have asked you to stop doing that. Please do not do it again."
Then ask, "Do you understand me?"
It will be an uncomfortable situation but you will be making yourself clear and she will have no excuse for doing it ever again.
You will have set your boundaries.
And if she does do it again, reporting her will be really easy.

I had a team lead like that way back in the day. I went to my team lead who brought in HR and talked to him about it. After that he slapped me on the back and said "so I heard you don't like when I do that?" I smacked his hand away and said very bluntly "if you touch me again I'm going to beat your fucking ass." That stopped the behavior and he was let go shortly thereafter for doing the same thing to another team member.

Touch me one more time and I will break your wrist, do I make myself perfectly clear?
I’ve actually told this person to back off multiple times. Verbally, and non verbally. I will say “no” put my hands up, say “personal space please”, remove their arm (but they typically just go back to doing it in less than a second.) and when I walk back from them they get super close and in my personal space so I can’t avoid them. I’ve said “it makes me uncomfortable”, “please stop”, tried to distract them by suggesting we work instead, and it barely even keeps them away. They just do what they want when they want, regardless of what I say. My demeanor and body language is basically screaming “NO” even When I’m not verbally communicating it. I don’t want to be forward because I don’t want any conflict. As other users suggested though, I will be taking this to my ETL and seeing if maybe we don’t have to work the same schedule, or I can be transferred to a different department until she learns some manners.

Edit: a word

I’ve actually told this person to back off multiple times. Verbally, and non verbally. I will say “no” put my hands up, say “personal space please”, remove their arm (but they typically just go back to doing it in less than a second.) and when I walk back from them they get super close and in my personal space so I can’t avoid them. I’ve said “it makes me uncomfortable”, “please stop”, tried to distract them by suggesting we work instead, and it barely even keeps them away. They just do what they want when they want, regardless of what I say. My demeanor and body language is basically screaming “NO” even When I’m not verbally communicating it. I don’t want to be forward because I don’t want any conflict. As other users suggested though, I will be taking this to my ETL and seeing if maybe we don’t have to work the same schedule, or I can be transferred to a different department until she learns some manners.

At this point? Id put it into origami. The TL has repeatedly made his choice in this situation and that's to disrespect your clear non consent to their actions. If they want to fuck around , well you gotta provide the find out. This is no way at all for a leader to interact at all with their staff.

At this point? Id put it into origami. The TL has repeatedly made his choice in this situation and that's to disrespect your clear non consent to their actions. If they want to fuck around , well you gotta provide the find out. This is no way at all for a leader to interact at all with their staff.
What do you mean by origami?

I'm sorry, but transferring will not stop her behavior. She will either continue to seek you out, find some way to retaliate or move on to another target who might not be capable of asserting themselves like you can. I've known people like her. I grew up dealing with people like her. They will not respect anyone else's personal boundries no matter how clear you make them. Even if they know thatbwhat they are doing will result in serious consequences. Theu just don't care. The only way the harassment is going to stop is if she is fired and banned from the premises. You are not doing yourself, your teammates or even her any favors by covering for her. She. Needs. To. Go.

This is how I think about this. Your TL is doing this and you must bea strong person to let it roll off your back. Imagine these other girls or guys that aren’t and this is something really tragic but they are to weak to say something……. You have to say something.

You aren't going to have to worry about retaliation. If you go to your SD and HR about this, the TL will be fired right away. I literally can't believe they have bitten multiple people, I have never heard or imagined such a thing.

For all of Target's faults they take harassment of any kind very seriously.

If you are afraid to approach HR and/or the SD have someone else that doesn't work in that department talk to them for you.

A couple of years ago a Style TL was harassing the young kids enough that they would just quit which is why he got away for it so long.

A Style TM had me go and talk to the SD for them.

This Style TL was soon gone.

Back