Archived TL Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice for team lead interviews? Mine are coming up and I'm pretty nervous about it. There is going to be a position opening up, and I am not the best at interviewing (at all). I get very anxious and my mind completely blanks out. From what I understand they have a few team members in mind for the position and they will be interviewing as well, so I need some tips to stand out.

What are the questions like? Are they mostly situational? How long should my answers be? I have done a little prep with a team lead but I still dont really know what to expect. I have searched in some of the threads here but I am interested to see if anyone has any additional input. I am extremely nervous so any information you can share would be great!

Thank you so much, I'm sure you all get tired of answering the same questions over and over again I'm just looking for all the help I can get!

Confidence, be yourself, focus on why you're perfect for the job. Don't get gummed up describing yourself personally (I'm x years old, I have 3 kids, my dog's name is Sparky) and if you've worked with your store long enough, they know enough about you.

Why do you deserve this job? Why are you better than the others? A few things to keep in mind. I'm not saying if you get the job this is how you'll act, but being too anxious might mean you won't be confident in any decisions you make as a team leader, but I know it's 100% natural to feel anxious before an interview, because let's face it, we all get nervous.

Sit up straight, don't mess with anything(hair, jewelry), try not to pick at your nails, shuffle too much, perhaps you can buy some new Target dress clothes to look nice at interview, be confident

You really just need to understand the scope of your actions and how they effect the whole process of the store. That's the difference between getting and not getting a team lead position. If you talk like a team member you will stay where you are so think of really good examples of processes you have aided and improved.

As someone who recently passed their TL interview make sure your answers loop back into how your action (or in some cases, inaction) affect both the guest and team. Target is really big on guest interaction so any really positive guest interactions that you’ve had, any times you’ve turned an interaction around (made the sale, calmed an angry guest, went above and beyond for a guest, etc) will be huge in your interview. For me also I really focused in on things that I do to inspire and motivate my team and how I tailor my approach for different team members. If you can answer the questions with keeping the business goals and guests in mind, you’ll do fine, if you answer the questions from a project foucused mindset (like a regular team member) you won’t.

They will ask tou situational questions. You have to give precise and relevant answers.
Q. Tell me about a process you helped improved. What was the process. How did you improve it. What was the outcome.
Q. Tell me about a time when you had to coach someone, or help explain something to them. How did you approach it. What was their response and action.
Q. Why do you want to be a team lead.

These questions must be answered with specifics. Names, process,actions and outcomes. Your answer needs to be multi-dimensional in nature. For example ,you helping a process led to improvement of another process etc.

Lastly, think about why you want the job. Is it financial? Is it to move up the ladder? Is to have more confidence? Is to learn new things and improve your self? The answer should be all of the above!
Tell your self you deserve this, tell yourself you will get this. Imagine yourself in the role. When you walk in that room, be as if you already are a leader!
Please do update us on the outcome.

I was just promoted from TM to TL, and the big thing I was advised when preparing for my interviews is that scope is key. They need to know that you understand how you can impact the entire business. How can you improve processes and implement routines that once in action will drive sales?

Update: I passed my interview but the other person who interviewed got the position and I am on the bench. They said I will be getting the next position that opens. My fear is I am going to look like a total idiot once I do get a position. The one I was going for was GSTL and I am a GSA. I only know the front end. I've asked to get trained in other areas but it hasn't happened because all of the other GSAs have limited availability and they need me scheduled at the front end for coverage. What do you suggest I do?

Update: I passed my interview but the other person who interviewed got the position and I am on the bench. They said I will be getting the next position that opens. My fear is I am going to look like a total idiot once I do get a position. The one I was going for was GSTL and I am a GSA. I only know the front end. I've asked to get trained in other areas but it hasn't happened because all of the other GSAs have limited availability and they need me scheduled at the front end for coverage. What do you suggest I do?

Remember the bench is generally district wide approval. There maybe a gstl position at another store that opens up.

Also know you can be picky. We have a beauty tm on the bench, when the apparel tl position opened up she had first dibs but she is waiting for something in hardlines.

In this case beggars can be choosers.

Trust me , you wont look like an idiot. Its a challenge to learn a new area, and then be in charge of implementing best practices. It gives you a fresh perspective on people, processes and your own abilities. Once you are over the learning curve. You become the best in that area, surpassing veterans and emerging as a true leader that you are. *twinkle*

To echo the others, it's easy to be comfortable in the front because that's where you have the most experience but don't limit yourself. Push yourself out of your comfort zone. You weren't an expert when you first started in the front but through your experiences and possibly failures you learned and grew. That's what makes you a well rounded leader. It's easy to think low scope but as a TL you most likely will be asked to support in other work centers as well.

I was only really comfortable with front end and food but for 4th quarter I was thrown into logistics (SFS TL), which I knew nothing about. I was given all the resources I needed and I made mistakes but I learned and grew from them. I think I did a pretty good job overall. Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back