Archived TL is on missed punch report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Sr. TL at my store that is constantly on the missed punch report. They're not AP. They seem to come in early and work past their scheduled time often. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure Sr. TL's are not salaried positions. They work PP.

It's very often they're on the punch report.

They're not salaried.

At my store most of them clock in early and clock out late and then end up having to leave early the last day of the week to cut OT.

I don't understand why TL can't work OT. I'm not saying work 12 hours every day or work 7 days a week. Some days an extra hour of work can do alot even going home and coming back for 4 hours.

SrTLs get a lot of leeway with punches, especially when they're LOD. Having to take turns on LOD rotation means less time for your own workcenter, which means they may need to come in early or stay late other days to make up for the time that they lost while they were LOD. There's no issue unless they're hitting OT.

I was on the punch correction sheet like every other day. I didn't care to wait around 8 more minutes for my lunch to be done or if I had to cut I'd just figure out some time to leave early. There's too much going on to stick to a strict schedule and my ETL was usually aware of stuff like that.

There is a Sr. TL at my store that is constantly on the missed punch report. They're not AP. They seem to come in early and work past their scheduled time often. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure Sr. TL's are not salaried positions. They work PP.

Honestly, most of the people who frequently appear on the missed punch report are skipping the time clock on purpose. There is no way that they "forget" to use the time clock a hundred million times. There may be a legit reason like having ETLs who are lazy af so they won't override someone who is starting earlier. There may be less legit reasons like being late to work, avoiding meal compliance, or taking longer lunches.

SrTLs are non-exempt which means that they are hourly employees. They have the same rights (breaks) and responsibilities (to record punches using the time clock) as other hourly employees so they should not be treated like salaried employees. As long as their leaders approved it, they can work a different shift than scheduled. There isn't really a good excuse for not using the time clock though. If you start earlier, a leader can override the time clock for the "start work" punch. All other types of punches don't need an override so you can just enter it. Most likely, the SrTL is being worked like a salaried employee and skipping the time clock to skate around compliance rules. Smh.

Last edited:
There comes a point in managment where you have to skirt compliance to stay ahead. Sr.’s know when they’re being taken advantage of and when they need some extra time.

SrTLs are non-exempt which means that they are hourly employees. They have the same rights (breaks) and responsibilities (to record punches using the time clock) as other hourly employees so they should not be treated like salaried employees. As long as their leaders approved it, they can work a different shift than scheduled. There isn't really a good excuse for not using the time clock though. If you start earlier, a leader can override the time clock for the "start work" punch. All other types of punches don't need an override so you can just enter it. Most likely, the SrTL is being worked like a salaried employee and skipping the time clock to skate around compliance rules. Smh.

Pretty much all of the Seniors, when LOD, work off the clock, be it on their 15 or 30. Especially if they're already nearing overtime (which you really can't cut [officially] if you're closing LOD)

Pretty much all of the Seniors, when LOD, work off the clock, be it on their 15 or 30. Especially if they're already nearing overtime (which you really can't cut [officially] if you're closing LOD)

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's a problem with Target. They have all of these expectations but don't offer the necessary time and resources to achieve all of it. They want to be compliant with compliance laws because it is unethical and illegal to not compensate employees for their time worked. Yet, they limit hours and OT so that people feel pressured to work off-the-clock. Like, WTH do you want, Target?

Last edited:
I have a few TM that will just punch an end meal to skirt compliance. They are all SFS and I tell them they have to take their break, but if they shift it they could have a coaching for the shift, the meal compliance, or the missed goal, but I'm not going to be the one to write them up for shifting their meal, but it will still be timed.

No good options sometimes in SFS.

Two of the TLs are always on the punch correction sheet, because expectation doesn't match reality.

people feel pressured to work off-the-clock.

While yes, this is a real thing in some stores, it’s not in every store. There are a lot of SrTLs (yes including PMT) where the behind-the-scenes agreement is “handle your business if you feel it’s appropriate”. Realistically the rational is “I’m already here, checking fb can wait”. Or you can just be of the mindset of “when I’m off, I’m off.”

Sr. TLs at my store acted like ETLs. They’d be able to stay late, come in early, work past schedule and all that as long as they’d stay under 40 hours. They’d also be called to come in sometimes to cover an ETL if they had to leave early or call out, so their punches were always messed up.

While yes, this is a real thing in some stores, it’s not in every store. There are a lot of SrTLs (yes including PMT) where the behind-the-scenes agreement is “handle your business if you feel it’s appropriate”. Realistically the rational is “I’m already here, checking fb can wait”. Or you can just be of the mindset of “when I’m off, I’m off.”
This for PMTs
I'm hourly, but you wouldn't know it. My punches are all over the place.

Normal shift followed by an overnight followed by a 4 AM at another store followed by a normal shift with a lunch after 3 hours to avoid compliance on a visit, or as I call it, a typical week

I walked the last major visit my store got while on lunch 🤷‍♂️

Does it really matter if a TL is on the missed punch report? It only affects that TL and no one else...

Yes, it matters. Anyone (TM or TL) having missed punches affects the accuracy of tracking how much payroll hours is actually being used (the hours that people physically worked at the store).

These missed punches may cause the store to overspend and miss payroll. Then, you have the STL contacting other STLs and frantically telling HR to charge off hours to other stores so that the store doesn't miss payroll. Management may also reduce shift hours and send people home early to balance things.

These missed punches may also cause the store to underspend instead. This means that TMs missed out on hours that they could have worked because the store will usually add more shifts if there were hours leftover.

Missed punches are not as harmless as you would think.

Last edited:
Normal shift followed by an overnight followed by a 4 AM at another store followed by a normal shift with a lunch after 3 hours to avoid compliance on a visit, or as I call it, a typical week

Right. A couple ETLs I have are surprised when I show up for normal shifts.

Yes, it matters. Anyone (TM or TL) having missed punches affects the accuracy of tracking how much payroll hours is actually being used (the hours that people physically worked at the store).

These missed punches may cause the store to overspend and miss payroll. Then, you have the STL contacting other STLs and frantically telling HR to charge off hours to other stores so that the store doesn't miss payroll. Management may also reduce shift hours and send people home early to balance things.

These missed punches may also cause the store to underspend instead. This means that TMs missed out on hours that they could have worked because the store will usually add more shifts if there were hours leftover.

Missed punches are not as harmless as you would think.
It matters to hr but no one else. Anyone other than hr keeping an eye on the missing punch report is a nosey Nancy and needs to worry bout themselves.

It matters to hr but no one else. Anyone other than hr keeping an eye on the missing punch report is a nosey Nancy and needs to worry bout themselves.
It’s really just a curious thing. The missed punch report is the list of people names to see HR? The missed punch report is right above the time clock with said people names, so it’s kinda in your face. I’ve been curious to wonder why this person is on the list again and again.
Personally I haven’t seen TL or SrTL stay longer for a shift without the OT given (Maybe once or twice), but I’m in California the strict state for labor laws so results may vary. I’ve rarely seen OT for TMs, only to TL unless we had a store disaster (backroom coolers turned off and we gotta QMOS our inventory).

I work through lunch in a CA store and still have to do a 31 minute lunch punch. The fuck lol

It does matter to people other than HR since we ( any leader) are also responsible for helping ensure that we make payroll. Too many people on the missing punch report negatively impacts the ability to manage payroll effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back