Archived TL Or TM....you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with modernization TL will now “lead” their team. “If you’re still doing tasks, then you’re not leading and making your team responsible”.
Ok, fine. So what happens, when the TL is still scheduled to do all task? Getting scheduled to be in pfresh 5 days, push FDC freight, sans frozen, how much time should be left to lead your team?

So with modernization TL will now “lead” their team. “If you’re still doing tasks, then you’re not leading and making your team responsible”.
Ok, fine. So what happens, when the TL is still scheduled to do all task? Getting scheduled to be in pfresh 5 days, push FDC freight, sans frozen, how much time should be left to lead your team?

If you have trained your team well enough you shouldn't be touching your truck. I have a fairly new team so the days of me just doing whatever I want is not realistic. This also prevents me from ever doing LOD shifts.

Is not just with modernization . It’s always been that way . I trained my team well to manage less. I don’t need to be there for the inbound team unload the truck as if i was there , just like i don’t need to be in at 7 am to make sure my opener does the bqa or 13 steps or flex fill . Everyone knows the priorities it’s for me to fallow up to make sure it got done and if not to seek and understand what happened and what can I do to improve . That doesn’t mean I’m never helping however I’m there to drive the team

My dry team handles their truck very well, I have a girl in pfresh that can, they just cut her to 2 days that I’m off and put me doing truck 5 days. When I ask why, hours is all I get. There are days all of dairy doesn’t get done and closer isn’t allowed to finish.

There are a few TLs in my store I had no idea were TLs until I looked at the breakout one day. They seem to have no team, and are always doing tasks.

Wow, so glad to see my store isn't an anomaly when it comes to team leaders being practically team members in the FDC truck push. I was trying to become a PA or a TL and I had zero time to ever sit down with my leader and ETL, to ever do anything "leadership" like because we're all working to get this fuckin truck pushed out before 2pm. We use to get trucks done before 11am, last year and going into 2019 we never finished before noon. Our Dry Grocery is better off but has been struggling lately, too, but their leaders are actually present as leaders.

As far as delegating tasks and taking control of a situation, I could do, but I was missing the crucial leadership development checks because of this all. I would suggest myself to leave the department to further any potential development but I'm too needed in this department, my ETL would never allow it. It's already under-staffed as is and I do a lot of tasks that no one else can do because A.) They're old and B.) They're gone by 12pm.

I break down our milk pallets, unload the truck, occasionally do the FDC paperwork for the driver, I pull all of the man cafs and autos, I do 7-10 uboats of backstock daily, QMOS our bins weekly when I get the chance, etc, etc, etc... I've just had a job role assumed for me with the hind-thought of "Wow, I can do all of these things alone, efficiently, and effectively, maybe it'll pay off." and then when I go to ask my TL/ETL to sit down with me to talk about it it's always "Ah, maybe later man, we gotta get this truck out."

As a backroom TL I don't do much physical labor. I only backstock or do pulls when there's nothing else to do. Otherwise I'm doing BRLA, AIS, or PDA Audit.... Covering flexes, moving pallets etc. My team is trained well enough that I only need to check in with them occasionally and otherwise the contact is minimal. That's how a team should be ran.

As far as delegating tasks and taking control of a situation, I could do, but I was missing the crucial leadership development checks because of this all. I would suggest myself to leave the department to further any potential development but I'm too needed in this department, my ETL would never allow it. It's already under-staffed as is and I do a lot of tasks that no one else can do because A.) They're old and B.) They're gone by 12pm.

I break down our milk pallets, unload the truck, occasionally do the FDC paperwork for the driver, I pull all of the man cafs and autos, I do 7-10 uboats of backstock daily, QMOS our bins weekly when I get the chance, etc, etc, etc... I've just had a job role assumed for me with the hind-thought of "Wow, I can do all of these things alone, efficiently, and effectively, maybe it'll pay off." and then when I go to ask my TL/ETL to sit down with me to talk about it it's always "Ah, maybe later man, we gotta get this truck out."

Leaders have to lead! Yes there will be times when payroll is tight and TLs will have to do task after task. However tasks should not be used as an excuse as to why a TL has not fulfilled TL duties. How can you plan days, weeks ahead, performance manage, blah blah if your head is buried in a u boat? Right now it sucks because there are days when I, the Food TL, am the only TM in market for a few hours at a time. But guess what? I knew that was going to be the case so I planned for that. Took care of what I need to as a TL before my team left, then took on the tasks that still needed to be done. Oh a vendor needs to meet with me? Come to aisle B22, I can talk and push.

@TTGOz as for your TL/ETL no giving you the time to discuss your development? That’s an example of what I was just talking about. Part of TL duties is to develop. There will always be a truck. TL pushing all the time is only a temporary solution. The least TL/ETL can do is push WITH you. Then maybe there can be some developmentmental convos as you guys work side by side.

I know ASANTS and that none of this is easy. Just wanted to give my input as a former, and still at times, task-orientated TL.

Leaders have to lead! Yes there will be times when payroll is tight and TLs will have to do task after task. However tasks should not be used as an excuse as to why a TL has not fulfilled TL duties. How can you plan days, weeks ahead, performance manage, blah blah if your head is buried in a u boat? Right now it sucks because there are days when I, the Food TL, am the only TM in market for a few hours at a time. But guess what? I knew that was going to be the case so I planned for that. Took care of what I need to as a TL before my team left, then took on the tasks that still needed to be done. Oh a vendor needs to meet with me? Come to aisle B22, I can talk and push.

@TTGOz as for your TL/ETL no giving you the time to discuss your development? That’s an example of what I was just talking about. Part of TL duties is to develop. There will always be a truck. TL pushing all the time is only a temporary solution. The least TL/ETL can do is push WITH you. Then maybe there can be some developmentmental convos as you guys work side by side.

I know ASANTS and that none of this is easy. Just wanted to give my input as a former, and still at times, task-orientated TL.

Yup, I figure I'm on the right track at least.

The TLs at my store don't have time to lead, they need to jump right in with their teams to keep the store afloat. It wouldn't work any other way.
This is how it works at my store. TLs are just glorified TMs who have their own duties that they have to complete, but if they weren’t completing tasks right alongside their teams in addition to TL duties, the store would never make it.🙄

Today, I was told that pfresh should be completely done by 2 every day...with 1 person...that includes dairy and frozen.

I'm doing that 5 days a week...but supposed to lead my dry team also. Price changes POGS pulls ect. Dry does their own pulls, they have just been handed their POGS and REV.

@Pfreshnewbie I am very curious about your situation. One person pushing p fresh is unrealistic, for any team. What volume is your store? How many TMs on your food team? And are you the TL? Hope you don’t mind me asking all of this

I am the TL. I have 3 in dry and a closer, who zones..though we all know that isn't the modernization way. The days I get frozen I sometimes have 1 to.come in and just do frozen. Our average FDC truck is 300...with frozen. Without frozen it's 200.

I am a GSTL and I delegate most task. When it’s really slow I sometimes cover for sco and have them task (grab reshop and sort it, push bullseye/candy, super zone) because I know I can do them all with ease, and I’d rather have them do all the “tasky” stuff so I can focus on the guests and my front end without being caught up in where x and x candy goes and how much more vendor card wall stuff we have to push.

I am the TL. I have 3 in dry and a closer, who zones..though we all know that isn't the modernization way. The days I get frozen I sometimes have 1 to.come in and just do frozen. Our average FDC truck is 300...with frozen. Without frozen it's 200.

How many pallets do you guys usually get? 300 sounds tiny, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by that. And yes your closer should be doing a lot more than zoning...
I really want to dissect your whole process lol. Maybe I can help??

And they're doubling down on it. The TLs at my store don't have time to lead, they need to jump right in with their teams to keep the store afloat. It wouldn't work any other way. It's the same for the ETLs. They're unloading, pushing, purging backroom, helping backstock -- whatever needs the most help.

This week has had 2 of my store's ETLs running around the store doing SFS orders.
So yes, it's all hands on deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back