TL self reviews!!!

Hey y’all! Well it’s that time of year and I just need help on what too include and what not too when doing this. It’s my first time doing this .. help

Don’t say anything negative about yourself, and don’t give them anything to use against you, if they want that, let them find it (or invent it) for themselves. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning negatives or weaknesses, instead use your self review to highlight your strengths and achievements. Make yourself sound as good as you possibly can, since your raise is riding on it. Good luck!

I worked for a Fortune 500 energy company for many years, technical support. We had annual reviews. They called them appraisals. Every single one in our dept, everyone, got overly criticized and very little praise or thanks yet never any firings. Fused with the managerial input was something called a "360" appraisal. The ones with the extremely brown noses, those who were protected species, the wierdos, the nutjobs were told, not asked, to write peer reviews. This evolved into one huge "fuck each other over royally" fest. The epitome of dysfunction was when someone got an exceptional shitty appraisal they got a bonus! A check, or addition to the paycheck usually around a grand. We had one 8-ball who called out usually twice x week and got away with for years. He was such a miserable fucker nobody including management wanted to be around him. They didn't get the measly 1.5%, they got cold cash. This being said, the Target dynamic is junior high compared to other big companies that are not retail.

Don’t say anything negative about yourself, and don’t give them anything to use against you, if they want that, let them find it (or invent it) for themselves. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by mentioning negatives or weaknesses, instead use your self review to highlight your strengths and achievements. Make yourself sound as good as you possibly can, since your raise is riding on it. Good luck!
The raise is pretty much decided if he says negative about himself or not .

The raise is pretty much decided if he says negative about himself or not .
That’s true, at my store the ratings and raises were often decided before the self reviews were even completed, but there’s no reason to give them any negative ideas that they haven’t already thought of to use as justification for their decisions.😁

That’s true, at my store the ratings and raises were often decided before the self reviews were even completed, but there’s no reason to give them any negative ideas that they haven’t already thought of to use as justification for their decisions.😁
I get what you are saying . When I was a team lead I would sell myself and reminded them of everything I have done and what I was capable of achieving . But I’ve never scored myself a 3 because you know the talk of “ no one can get a 3” . Instead they came back with the score of 3 and telling me what else I’ve done on top of it .
So sell yourself but when you score yourself think about it

I get what you are saying . When I was a team lead I would sell myself and reminded them of everything I have done and what I was capable of achieving . But I’ve never scored myself a 3 because you know the talk of “ no one can get a 3” . Instead they came back with the score of 3 and telling me what else I’ve done on top of it .
So sell yourself but when you score yourself think about it
Definitely. I never scored myself the highest rating either, just tried to highlight the positive and minimize the negative on my self reviews. No puffery, just trying to avoid being hoist with my own petard. 😁 Congrats on getting a 3!

Score what you feel you honestly deserve and why you deserve it. Also list your goals for the new year. When you go to write your review next year you can refer back to this years and see if you met those goals to help write that review.
Yes they already have those scores and raises determined but I’ve seen team member scores changed when given proper reasoning and it can happen with leads. Sure they don’t give many 3’s but they do give out a few.
If you are a new lead did you promote or new to the company? If you did promote you did something to deserve that promotion so use that. The review is based off of your entire year so use what you’ve got. Why not right?

Learning that performance reviews are not really anything like a performance review. The actual performance reviews are the private office conversations that ETLs have about TLs, and that TLs have about TMs (when there's even time to talk). In past jobs, I've given actual reviews that were prepared in advance and had a long sit-down and usually a nice talk with the person I supervise. They're great, imo. But my review at Target last year was literally a 30 second thing that I didn't understand. Soon I'll be giving these reviews to TMs, and will try to find a way to make them meaningful.

Also, the "self review" seems nearly worthless because there is no time to do it, and it doesn't change anything. The system of bunching everybody into one mediocre-sounding rating is also not a great idea.

Learning that performance reviews are not really anything like a performance review. The actual performance reviews are the private office conversations that ETLs have about TLs, and that TLs have about TMs (when there's even time to talk). In past jobs, I've given actual reviews that were prepared in advance and had a long sit-down and usually a nice talk with the person I supervise. They're great, imo. But my review at Target last year was literally a 30 second thing that I didn't understand. Soon I'll be giving these reviews to TMs, and will try to find a way to make them meaningful.

Also, the "self review" seems nearly worthless because there is no time to do it, and it doesn't change anything. The system of bunching everybody into one mediocre-sounding rating is also not a great idea.
I mean, it does give a chance to highlight your achievements.

If they don't give me a three this year I'm turning it into a long conversation about a lot of things. There's no reason any team lead who didn't take any sort of LOA during this whole fucking year is not a three lmao
I've already been told that I'm getting a '2' despite honestly kicking ass all year. Same for my new boss, who might be the most competent and helpful boss I've ever had. Silly stuff.

I don't miss writing self-reviews or writing team member reviews. They never seemed to give any time to do them. It is especially bad for team leaders that have more than a few team members under them. I know team leaders that took them home and did them off of the clock.

Just happy that I was able to fix this before I got promoted .

Attachments

• 544D3CC4-74AE-4962-BC39-996F5FC44B47.jpeg
    544D3CC4-74AE-4962-BC39-996F5FC44B47.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 202E48F9-1D3A-4408-8B16-64AD6390718F.jpeg
    202E48F9-1D3A-4408-8B16-64AD6390718F.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
Back