Archived TL Softlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. While I enjoyed my time in softlines, HR looks better on my resume, I received a raise, and I get more hours. The hours are the big thing, when hours got tight I was getting 28 hours in softlines around, which is high for a lot of TMs, but I had come to expect 30-38 hours in softlines as they liked to give me day shifts since they liked my quality of work, not to toot my own horn, I don't like to do that. It has been an enjoyable experience at Target for me, despite the fact it can be stressful at times. Having a positive attitude at work goes a long way.

Hi! New forum member here :)
I worked as a Softlines Team Lead for about 6 of my 7 years at the Bullseye (left in November of last year). Here is what I recall my daily routine as being (keep in mind though that every store does things a little different:

Monday-
-Check email
-Check out transition workload and online planogram to see what's setting soon or is due this week. We typically tried to set all tables two weeks early depending upon instocks level.
-Check mail box for new adjacencies
-complete break schedule for the day.
-Rack alignment while doing brand walk and shooting missing signs.
-check infants endcaps and diaper aisles to see if they need to be filled/flexed.
-walk backroom to see if any hanging backstock can be worked out or if there is any clearance to be pushed.
-check fitting room for go backs left from closers that need to be worked out before pricing team gets to those departments.
-check in with flow team to see if new merch came in, if they have questions or encountered any issues with the push, and just to see how they are doing. (it pays to have a good repoire with your flow team because they can make or break you if they push things incorrectly.)
-set pogs or adjacencies as needed.
-flex and fill anything that may have sold down or broken over the weekend.
-walk area w/ etl to discuss workload for that week and plans to finish it as well as any projects or goals that may be on your agenda that week.
-check in with brand team members, instocks, pricing, and plano teams to make sure things are on task in your areas and find out if there are any issues/concerns to be addressed.
Tuesday & Thursday-same as Monday's workload
Wed-same as previous days, but add the task of writing the schedule for softlines and fitting room.
Friday- same as Monday and,
-freshness Friday date checks in infant formula and baby food
-ad walk and ad prep, you can save yourself a lot of time Sunday morning if you map everything out, shoot any extra signs you need, and sleeve (put in the various 7x11 holders softlines uses) everything on Friday.
-Saturday
-focus on zone and customer service as its usually to busy for any tasks.
Sunday
-same as Saturday, just add in ad setup

Also, once a week I liked to print up the assortment item inventory list and see what boxes had been erroneously backstocked and pull them. You'd be surprised how many boxes of hanging product (which should never be backstocked) get sent straight to backstock off of the truck.
You will also probably want to find time at least once a week (if not daily) to do a good power zone through intimates and any basics area you are in charge of as they can become disaster zones very quickly if you don't stay on them.

Last edited:
Thanks Raz! I hope you don't mind I copied it I think I am going to use this! Tweak it here and there of course. I was told Biggest opp for Softlines TL is routines. They never stay on top of it. Now if I create a routine checklist and follow it daily I think I'll get it done.

What are your sections? The old Tl that I took over from (she got promoted to etl right before I got promoted) made me a klerk adj and task calendar I'll take a picture and post it after work tomorrow it's been super useful but anyway we split up Softlines in such a way that I have RTW boys intimates activewear and I over see jewelry/accessories and sometimes shoes because the other Tl sometimes forgets. SL team leads at my store do all the Plano work as well in our areas so sometimes it can be hard to stay on top of everything. My biggest tip would be train as many tm's to also do adj and pogs because then you can figure out who your a team go to peoe are and having them help with big transitions
Also at my store everyone forgets signing...don't forget the lovely signing

P-fresh is my store. My areas are furniture, seasonal with mini, small appliances & kitchen. The srtl has the other side. We are shorthanded & almost going off the deep end on some days. We have issues at my store.

P-fresh is my store. My areas are furniture, seasonal with mini, small appliances & kitchen. The srtl has the other side. We are shorthanded & almost going off the deep end on some days. We have issues at my store.

So every target store is the same go target. We had twice as many tl's and tm's on the floor before I started working and now we have next to no one around hl has 3 tl's softlines has 2 and were a high volume store its great

Well finally after 3 months of "problems" my interview with my DTL is next Monday.
I was told I would be in charge of Boys/Girls, Mens, Ling/Intimates. but now we have lost our ETL-GE and are down a GSTL, there is talk that I will be a SLTL but might possibly wait till a GE comes in. Frankly I don't care what happens. As long as I get the pay promotion, I'll do whatever. I'm not a baby about. I've been here for 5.5 years, 21 years old, unlike a lot of ppl who expect different we all know we have a job to do, so I'm here to do it and go home.

But any who I was told "Zone, Fill and Sign" is the opp.
Because there is only one TL right now accountability on Zone is lacking, no one cares.
Planos and adjacency aren't set on time and because of zoning issues, in stocks is have trouble researching.
Signing was a huge issue! and now we've lost a signing TM.

We are just all over at my store lol.

What are your sections? The old Tl that I took over from (she got promoted to etl right before I got promoted) made me a klerk adj and task calendar I'll take a picture and post it after work tomorrow it's been super useful but anyway we split up Softlines in such a way that I have RTW boys intimates activewear and I over see jewelry/accessories and sometimes shoes because the other Tl sometimes forgets. SL team leads at my store do all the Plano work as well in our areas so sometimes it can be hard to stay on top of everything. My biggest tip would be train as many tm's to also do adj and pogs because then you can figure out who your a team go to peoe are and having them help with big transitions
Also at my store everyone forgets signing...don't forget the lovely signing

Wow after reading that I realized
1 I'm glad I don't work at your store I'm so sorry that's not a fun situation and
2 I should really read my posts before posting because when I type to fast on my phone I leave letters out..or maybe I should turn autocorrect back on haha blonde

That's ok. I am worse than you on spelling. Superman, go for it. Your etl's may put you at front end or hl instead. Learn everything you can!

lol As usual Hardlinesmaster, thanks for the encouragement! :)

That's ok. I am worse than you on spelling. Superman, go for it. Your etl's may put you at front end or hl instead. Learn everything you can!

I was told its called Sales Floor (Softlines) lol but yes Softlines. I guess they wanted me to get the idea of being in charge of the Sales Floor processes as well.

Yowch! I guess they figure that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Kinda makes ya wish you weren't seen as so strong.

I was told its called Sales Floor (Softlines) lol but yes Softlines. I guess they wanted me to get the idea of being in charge of the Sales Floor processes as well.

I'm so excited for you! What's your areas? When I was going for my interviews they told me I was going to be a food team lead. Lies. I got Softlines Tl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back