TLs focusing too much on truck?

I dont work at a dc but i was under the impression that if you cancel a truck it would then change what would be loaded into your next trailer not that anything would be unloaded.
It’s going to affect it yes. But the system is far from perfect. You’re going to end up receiving freight you don’t need on the next truck. Canceling trucks feels like it helps but it just hurts the store in a different way and it’s a major annoyance on our end

Everything is equally important, but frieght is more important. I'll explain. Target's overall process has a weird efficiency to it such that the individual tasks often seem painfully inefficient, but when everything is done correctly the system is faster overall. In other words, it's best to slow down and not cut corners on individual tasks so that the overall process goes faster.

The foundation of this system is getting truck pushed quickly and correctly. When freight falls behind your SFQs get jacked to all hell, so not only do pulls take longer they also become less productive. Good luck with price change when the 12 sheet sets you need to ticket are in random repacks in the back. You can set salesplans but it's kind of pointless if you can't fill them because the items are somehere in all the rolled freight. (And setting salesplans without product in hand typically leads to having to make adjustments later when you do get the product.) How are you going to do suspect task audits when you have no idea how much of something you have because you're way behind on frieght? Perhaps most terrifyingly, the replenishment system doesn't always count unlocated product in its' calculations. So you might have 50 cases of tuna floating around the back because no one has time to deal with it, but it's not on the floor and it's not located in the back so maybe the system thinks you don't have it or have lied about you capacity for it so SURPRISE: here's 30 more. (This is apparently how my store ended up with 15 pallets of unneeded G&G water.)

Thus frieght is most important. It's the foundation of the house. But, everything else are the walls, roof, electrical system, etc. and they are equally important. No matter how solid your foundation is, it's pointless without a roof. But, you can't build a roof unless you have the walls to support it and you can't build the walls without a foundation to build them on.

Customers don't buy price changes. They don't buy salesplanners and they don't buy pogs.

They buy product. Product comes on the truck, and if you don't stock it then your high margin fast movers become zero margin out of stocks, and your profitability plummets.

Not to say the other aspects are unimportant, they are just objectively less important than stocking freight.
Reshop is merchandise that should be restocked ASAP. It's just as relevant as new stock. There are times when there are three or four of the same dress/pants/whatever hanging on a reshop rack at the fitting room, which means they aren't on the salesfloor where guests can see them. Sometimes it looks like half our Infants/Kids stock is languishing in carts for days and days... I will never understand how this is acceptable. Not to mention how bad the fitting room area and floor look with all these carts full of merchandise hanging around.

Reshop is merchandise that should be restocked ASAP. It's just as relevant as new stock. There are times when there are three or four of the same dress/pants/whatever hanging on a reshop rack at the fitting room, which means they aren't on the salesfloor where guests can see them. Sometimes it looks like half our Infants/Kids stock is languishing in carts for days and days... I will never understand how this is acceptable. Not to mention how bad the fitting room area and floor look with all these carts full of merchandise hanging around.
I agree with this too. Softlines in general is a huge profit driver for most retail chains, so leaving it to languish in my opinion is bad form in general.

I've been experiencing this first hand for the last so many years. As of right now my 1 for 1s stand at over 1200 eaches with no sign of stopping.

No such thing as a cancel truck unless the DC cancels it. It’s technically just delaying a truck lol.

As someone said earlier. Cancel a truck and expect that to come back as a double or triple. We all seen those RDC Communication emails “added truck”.

Truck cancels comes with a lot of consequences so it’s best to try not to do that.

Rolling freight affects fulfillment, SFQ, OHs, Pricing, SPLs, Transitions, Revisions, Backroom safety, pulls, guest experience, and more.

Last edited:
Back