TM taking a TL position temporarily

So my grocery TL is going on pregnancy leave so an Electronics TM is taking her job until she comes back in early August.

I asked him what happens when she comes back and said he wasn't worried about it (i.e. not be a "negative Nancy").

I think he is being naive because there are no other TL positions open in our store AND he doesn't have anything in writing stating what happens next.

Our store screwed over the last TM that tried to transition to TL which is why I brought it up.

Thoughts?

Weve had two temprary tls in my store in the past year or so and both got positions at another store.

I think your store is going to have an acting TL for a few months at TM pay, then they are going to screw him over like they did the last guy. Or they are going to performance out your grocery TL and have him waiting in the wings already semi-trained to take over. The fact that your store screwed over the last TM who tried to transition to TL doesn’t bode particularly well for the next candidate, or anyone else, really. Your leadership have already shown everyone who they are. Actions speak louder than words.

I got screwed over when I did the temporary TL it took me forever to get a TL position after that

When I took over a temporary TL position (many, many years ago), I was bumped up to starting TL pay during that time. After my stint, I went back to my regular pay and my regular position.

They did start repeatedly asking me if I wanted to get on the bench after that but I said no as it was too stressful for the little TL tasks I did do. With currently TL tasks, fuck no!

Good point but I think by demoting yourself you will never be offered to be a TL again. To me the fact is that there seems to be no plan after the other TL comes back is a big red flag.
I agree

Back