Archived TM to TL questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisNG

Electronics Team Member
So I’ve been a electronics TM for 4 months as a minor. I plan on staying with target for a while since I’m going to community college for the next 4 years, and turn 18 in June. I really like target, yeah guests are annoying but, the environment in my store is great and I love my management. So I was wondering how would I be able to move up to TL? I know I have to be 18, but what else do they require and how do I bring up that sorta thing?

So I’ve been a electronics TM for 4 months as a minor. I plan on staying with target for a while since I’m going to community college for the next 4 years, and turn 18 in June. I really like target, yeah guests are annoying but, the environment in my store is great and I love my management. So I was wondering how would I be able to move up to TL? I know I have to be 18, but what else do they require and how do I bring up that sorta thing?
Talk to your ETL about development. They will tell you what they want to see. You will take ownership of a project. Be the go to person.

As hardlinesmaster said and I agree with-- the guest is basically the one putting money in your bank. They are your paycheck. Treat it like that and if someone is impossible to take care of call a manager and tell them you'll be stepping off site (in the backroom would be best or a restroom) to cope with the issue. Your boss will side with you 99% of the time AFTER the guest has been taken care of. Let them undermine you and go around policy to help the guest and ignore how stupid it is. Take every half hour or hour as a time schedule on doing things right. Be the best at what you do and ask what it takes from every TL. I know two TLs who are around my age and always encourage me to become TL and I hate the idea of the responsiblity of key holding, perimeter checks, keeping TMs accountable and answering LOD calls but if you want all that, by all means GO GET IT. Good luck and if you have any questions I am almost versed in target shit as a SrTL or maybe even moreso. I don't come to this site EVERY day but I do check it often.

As hardlinesmaster said and I agree with-- the guest is basically the one putting money in your bank. They are your paycheck. Treat it like that and if someone is impossible to take care of call a manager and tell them you'll be stepping off site (in the backroom would be best or a restroom) to cope with the issue. Your boss will side with you 99% of the time AFTER the guest has been taken care of. Let them undermine you and go around policy to help the guest and ignore how stupid it is. Take every half hour or hour as a time schedule on doing things right. Be the best at what you do and ask what it takes from every TL. I know two TLs who are around my age and always encourage me to become TL and I hate the idea of the responsiblity of key holding, perimeter checks, keeping TMs accountable and answering LOD calls but if you want all that, by all means GO GET IT. Good luck and if you have any questions I am almost versed in target shit as a SrTL or maybe even moreso. I don't come to this site EVERY day but I do check it often.
No thanks, we are all set.

Master the basics before anything else, and take an active interest in learning more. Research more about your workcenter on Workbench, learn best practices, crosstrain other areas, and be guest pleasing. While yes, guests can be annoying, it’s the main reason we show up to work. To serve the guests. I’m not an expert at EVERYTHING but I managed to go from Hardlines TM to AP TL in less than three years. Reach out some time and I’ll do my best to help out. Best of luck.

I tend to disagree with the "what guests buy fuels our paychecks"
while in a very, very, very big picture, they are, but we're not paid salespeople who get incentives or a commission for every single thing guests buy, we just get paid hourly. So, when we look at guests, don't look at them as a paycheck, but as an opportunity to say hi, help them find something. Just say good morning, hello, how are you? etc

You need to begin talking to the appropriate hardlines leaders and ETL-Salesfloor. Let HR know as well, even your ETL-HR. If nothing happens right away, constantly asking every few days for updates on possible development will do the trick.

That being said, if there isn't a position open, you won't be made one any time soon. My leadership won't even put me "on the bench" for Team Lead right now, because they don't know what's going to happen with the TL number with the leadership restructuring that's happening in January/February.

You probably don’t have to be everyone’s “favorite,” but you do need at least someone in your corner: someone to vouch for you, give advice to, help you, and help get others on board with you. I feel like a lot of times it starts with just that one person believing in you and their belief gets others on board with you.

Very true. Not in my case but for a lot of individuals.
I’ve seen unqualified asskissers promoted over truly qualified individuals, and the leadership involved were the laughing stock of the workcenter for doing it. Depends on the integrity of the leadership. Some want to be worshipped and others want to build a solid team to get the job done. I promoted myself to guest before I would kiss my ETLs ass, but anyone who doesn’t gets on her hit list.🙄

I’ve seen way too many people promoted because they were the new favorite over people who have been there 2-3 times as long, do a better job, and trained the person that got promoted. It happens and it sucks and that’s part of why people leave. That and the fact that retail workers don’t make enough to support themselves without government assistance for food...

^ Sorry for the mini rant. My department is a mess! but aside from all that...

If you are interested in a promotion that’s awesome! I’d say ideally the best way to move up is to learn your area. Become an expert in what you do. Talk to your leaders let them know you are interested in development. Ask what to work on and do it! Sure some department heads prefer those who “pucker up” but some just want workers who are reliable, that they can trust to answer questions, resolve problems, and get things done when they aren’t around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back