To all new and of course "vets" so to speak...

I was sitting here thinking how ASANTS and such. Thinking about how this site is supposed to be a place where we connect but everyone feels alienated. How each year is new for us as much as it is for newbies but this time of year is such a hassle. This time around though I have to teach people a process (end to end as we use to say ... ) that is barely a year old for me and they literally won't have an actual area to cover after seasonal and will be let go for sure....according to what I hear. So is this the case or am I crazy? Also to the new hires, hang in there and don't take anything personal. You deserve a job and if you do the work you deserve your wages. Enjoy the holiday season and ignore anything that isn't your problem. As my leaders have said to me and I hold to this day...if you can't handle a guest or an issue- contact a leader and/or move off stage to the backroom or the office. Everyone has their limit and you should not be berated or treated unfairly by any guest or any team member.

It’s like having newbies and temps handle guaranteed sales via SFS and OPU vs zoning and reshop. #YoureDoingItWrong
I dont understand having ANY newbies on ship from store when they barely can find toothpaste if I asked them which aisle it's in...or lightbulbs...or curtain rods...this is all general knowledge to our long time TMs yet we get screwed when our knowledge is needed and we are sitting at home after our measly 6 hour shift with less hours than a McDonalds worker. I finally got two of my TLs to agree to asking some of us before we do new things. Quiet veterans arent gonna change anything if we don't speak up. I got a whole change on the unload and line set...changed a few custom fill groups and asked the people who push them what they think before suggesting it and im not even a leader...real talk. Step up for your team, guys. We got this.

Last edited:
IMO seasonals should be zoning, pushing reshop, and responding to backup calls. If they are halfway decent, they can help push truck. Show them the zebra basics and send them out into the wild. They don't need to know anything else unless they become permanent.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!!!

I'm so over new seasonals picking OPUs. I emphasize in training that when they are done with training and on their own they are not going to know everything therefore they need to communicate and ask before INFing anything. That's how they will eventually learn. I introduce them to every salesfloor ETL and TL. I introduce them to every primary and secondary style DBO so they know who can best help them in different sections. I even go out of my way to check in with a lead before INFing myself just to show them that no one is going to bite their heads off for it. Leadership wants to be asked.

What happens when they are sent off into the wild on their own? They don't communicate with anyone! Their INF% are impossibly high. Like higher than if I just followed the prompts in epick and never looked for anything that wasn't exactly where it was supposed to be. It's maddening. Send them to go help out the toys or seasonal DBOs with their reshop and zones. They shouldn't be picking. It's not fair to them to have them picking because they are set up to fail. And, it's not fair to the rest of fulfillment who gets pressured to make up for the terrible INF%.

If Spot expects to compete in the online sales world, they need to leave picking orders to the experts, not the seasonals, whose high INF percentages reflect lost sales and pissed off guests. Honestly, Spot, what are you thinking? Try thinking past cutting costs and screwing over the regulars to actually getting the job done. Efficiently. 🙄

To be fair, picks are very easy to lean and fulfill. Maybe that’s just because I’ve been with spot for 6 years though. But as long as they’re trained properly and can prove they can get it done, I don’t have a problem with it.

To be fair, picks are very easy to lean and fulfill. Maybe that’s just because I’ve been with spot for 6 years though. But as long as they’re trained properly and can prove they can get it done, I don’t have a problem with it.

In a world where your backrooms are organized and process is working. We have such a shit show teaching the laundry list of places to look and where people hide things is ridiculous, you simply can't remember them all. And trying to stuff all that and the salesfloor into a green newbie is pretty big ask. Why I think all newbies should have to work the floor for a bit so they can learn the bigger process so they understand why you don't just INF stuff when the shelf is empty.

Picking is simultaneously easy and exceedingly challenging. Give me 15 minutes with any veteran (as in been there for a couple of months) GM TM and I can teach them how to pick adequately enough to provide backup and cover breaks/meals. However, once they get enough units under their belt to provide a somewhat decent sample size what the numbers show is a higher INF% and lower productivity than what we'd like to see. It's adequate for their role though and being adequate at picking is easy.

It's going from adequate to where we need fulfillment to be that's challenging. If you do enough OPUs, you're going to run into something like a single order for 4 pairs of UT jeans, 2 pairs of non-RFID enabled C9 yoga pants, an Auden bra, 3 pairs of earrings, 3 eyeliners, and 2 packages of coffee you haven't sold in 73 days but you have 6 on hand so a casepack is likely unlocated in the back that you need to find. And, because you're busy picking batch after batch you have 21 minutes left to find that and put it to hold, but we really need you to only take 15 minutes or thereabouts so you have time to handle what else is in the queue. That's not easy and I can't teach a GM TM to do it in a few minutes even if they have excellent general knowledge of the store.

It takes experience to get to the point where fulfilling that order is possible. Getting a brand new seasonal up to the point where they can do it is extremely unlikely, especially considering the increasing time constraints that Q4 brings.

I tell the newbie pickers stop apologizing for bothering me, we were all new at one time, I'm here to help.
This all day. I literally will pull new hires to the side when I see them struggling and tell them to come to me personally if they need help. You don't need to feel bad or worried about not knowing everything. Im 4 years in and I still sometimes ask a leader or a fellow Tm about stuff I either forget or is new. It's never ending.

This all day. I literally will pull new hires to the side when I see them struggling and tell them to come to me personally if they need help. You don't need to feel bad or worried about not knowing everything. Im 4 years in and I still sometimes ask a leader or a fellow Tm about stuff I either forget or is new. It's never ending.

Yep. I teach to walk the area from different angles, look for a different aspect of the item each pass. One for shirts that fit the shape you need, not found? Ok? check every section of black/dark you see when the item you are looking for is black/dark. Run the RFID if you can. Still not found? Don't be shy to call for help.

Newbies should not be picking. Have veterans pick and newbies pack. At the least, have the newbies sprint through picking all in location items, then have them start packing. I had a newbies walking down the baby food aisle with an rfid gun looking for cloud island towels. Huh? I asked her what she was looking for. She said, "You can't help me, you're doing tags " I was doing my 45th side cap. But hey, I've been at Target 16 years, I can't help you. Lol

If Spot expects to compete in the online sales world, they need to leave picking orders to the experts, not the seasonals, whose high INF percentages reflect lost sales and pissed off guests. Honestly, Spot, what are you thinking? Try thinking past cutting costs and screwing over the regulars to actually getting the job done. Efficiently. 🙄
Don't forget, too much INFing will shut you down!

Newbies should not be picking. Have veterans pick and newbies pack. At the least, have the newbies sprint through picking all in location items, then have them start packing. I had a newbies walking down the baby food aisle with an rfid gun looking for cloud island towels. Huh? I asked her what she was looking for. She said, "You can't help me, you're doing tags " I was doing my 45th side cap. But hey, I've been at Target 16 years, I can't help you. Lol

I get newbies throwing cleaners like bleach in boxes without bagging it when newbies pack. I can't even get them to get all the of the damn orders in the box. Air speed or bubble wrap? They don't know what that is. From the shattered glass we get in our Ship to Store boxes. They don't get it cause they don't get training. Cause ETL's just shove shit in boxes so they believe we spend to much time packing. We have been told that isn't really needed. Like bagging liquids and folding up clothes and bagging them properly. So no way in hell I am letting them be the last step out the door and the first experience for the guest.. We have to be better than out damn leadership. Which sucks when you get idiots who tell you that they don't have to do it correctly when their boss tells them to do it shitty.

We are taking the first two days cause we have a lot of minors so 4hr shifts in my state, so they spend 8hrs picking with us, we give them some line and see what we get in the finished batches. Then work on what we need to improve. If those batches look good we show them more. If they pick up on the details we give them more to do.

Back