Archived Training a New TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured it wouldn't go well because TLs that are not resilient and adaptable are usually the most difficult to deal with! It is good for your development to deliver this difficult message and you are already seeing improvements from her! This is a good situation for you because you can use this situation in interviews if they ask how you pulled a peer along who was struggling and no matter the outcome at this point you did what was best for the company.

Just thought i'd give a little update to this thread.

This TL actually walked out yesterday. I'm pretty surprised because i thought this second week went much better than last week. We were super busy yesterday though and running around and i guess she couldn't handle it. This is probably the busiest we've been since christmas. She literally said "F this. I'm out" and threw her keys on a lane and left.

This TL actually walked out yesterday. I'm pretty surprised because i thought this second week went much better than last week. We were super busy yesterday though and running around and i guess she couldn't handle it. This is probably the busiest we've been since christmas. She literally said "F this. I'm out" and threw her keys on a lane and left.

Why am I not surprised?

Yea for you!

Just as well that she wasn't around during Q4.
She'd have run screaming into the.....um.....parking lot.

If she couldn't handle a normal-ish Saturday (depending on if you had any upswing for the Super Bowl), then it's probably just as well she saved her store the hassle and quit then. And anyone else you train after this should be cake.

I am so sorry to hear about this GSTL you are training. It definitely is important to have proper training like the others have said. Also, document document document. We as leader's main job is to manage talent. Bluntly, we must weed out the bad ones if necessary. This sounds necessary. I would sit down with her and talk to her about her actions, the impact they have on the store, team members and guests, and expectations going forward. Partner with your ETL-GE and STL if you need additional support. :) If they understand how serious this is they will be more than willing to help you and back you up. Good Luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

I am so sorry to hear about this GSTL you are training. It definitely is important to have proper training like the others have said. Also, document document document. We as leader's main job is to manage talent. Bluntly, we must weed out the bad ones if necessary. This sounds necessary. I would sit down with her and talk to her about her actions, the impact they have on the store, team members and guests, and expectations going forward. Partner with your ETL-GE and STL if you need additional support. :) If they understand how serious this is they will be more than willing to help you and back you up. Good Luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Oops, I didn't see the above responses. I'm glad that she is no longer with Target not adding value.

For the next two weeks I am training a new GSTL. I met her on saturday and we started. I cannot stand the girl. She is rude, unfair, and lazy. I don't know how she is bothering me so much since i am training her but she's driving me crazy! Tonight we close together and i'm just dreading it. Yesterday I was showing her how to do a schedule and she doesn't like one of MY cashiers (she's not from this store) and she tried to tell me that that cashier didn't deserve any hours so i should only give her one day a week and was very angry with me when I didn't do it. I don't really understand what her problem is but i feel sorry for the store that she's going to!
On monday she refused to follow me around and just stood in front of the registers. When i told her she needed to be speedweaving and helping the cashiers as much as possible she ran to my ETL and said that I was being bossy. My ETL tried explaining to her that she needed to do what i was saying because she was being trained but she just rolled her eyes. My STL asked her how the training was going and she actually told him in front of me that she didn't know how i became a TL.
I know it's only two weeks and i will survive but any advice on how to knock some sense into this girl and get her to realize by her acting this way she's only going to make her team mad? I want to send her back to her store with the best training and to be the best TL but that's not working so far!

Good god... what a mess you have on your hands! Be glad she's moving on to another store! I don't put up with any type of immaturity... so that lack of leadership she carries wouldn't be accepted. I'm sure you're being stern. Retail isn't for everyone. I don't see her lasting long at the store she will be placed in with an attitude like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back