Archived Training a TM for instocks in a day or so..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorback

Instocks/Flow TM
I've never trained anyone for this position before and so I'm not sure how to go about doing so.. I know there are a lot of details, and there is no way anyone could learn it all in a day.

How much information should I give this person on the first day?

I was thinking about just explaining the main tasks (outs/research/RIGs as well as anything else that may come up) and leaving PTMs/Rainchecks/Subs/drastic count report for the next day. My store seems to not care about rainchecks and subs much these days anyway and PTMs/Drastic Count can be handled by one of us other instocks TMs.

I would like to hear what some of you have to say though.. Tips/advice?

Day one - do the online training and answer any questions. Explain the PDA functions and do OUTs and RIGs. Save the research for another day. Drastic counts are supposed to be completed by the TL. EVERY tm on the floor should know how to set up a raincheck and sub. PTM's should be saved for later when you make sure that they are backroom and wave certified. (I am a very thorough trainer and always explain the why along with the how. I work beside the tm for at least one shift for outs/rigs and at least 2 for research. Not only does it help with the training, but it is good for team building.)

Day one - do the online training and answer any questions. Explain the PDA functions and do OUTs and RIGs. Save the research for another day. Drastic counts are supposed to be completed by the TL. EVERY tm on the floor should know how to set up a raincheck and sub. PTM's should be saved for later when you make sure that they are backroom and wave certified. (I am a very thorough trainer and always explain the why along with the how. I work beside the tm for at least one shift for outs/rigs and at least 2 for research. Not only does it help with the training, but it is good for team building.)

My store doesn't really have a Instocks TL, so I guess thats why the drastic count report gets worked by us TMs.
I've never even heard of online training..

I suppose I should have mentioned my store is either a B or C volume store.

I would definitely go over the Maintaining InStocks page on workbench. Make sure they really understand the smart schematic, and that front endcaps are odd etc etc. Sales Floor pathing seems to confuse people easily. Outs, RIGS, Research, Rainchecks and Subs the first day otherwise they might get confused. Let them take notes and carry them around once they start. Let them shoot an area in outs. Show them how it generates a pull for the backroom and then push it. Yellow clips etc.

PTM should really have it's own day since it's a really important concept that a lot of stores don't seem to understand. I don't know if there is one for hardlines but there is a specific article for PTM remerchandising for softlines.
Explain what Drastic Counts are and when to partner with AP / Log - TL (esp PIPO items). Show them the Shortage Indicator, have the LOG-TL / ETL explain how Backroom Location Accuracy / backstock effects research. I don't know, if you have any specific questions you can send me a PM. I just trained my replacement before I was promoted.

I don't know if there is one for hardlines but there is a specific article for PTM remerchandising for softlines.

There is just a big packet on PTM best practices for all areas last I saw... Hardlines and Softlines included and it goes over nearly every fixture and what you should do to remerch it...

There is just a big packet on PTM best practices for all areas last I saw... Hardlines and Softlines included and it goes over nearly every fixture and what you should do to remerch it...

Shrug. I have a packet just for Softlines that I printed since I only did InStocks for Softlines when I first started. PTM Remerchandising for Apparel and Accessories or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back