Archived "Training" is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguyattarget

SFS/OPU Master
I just finished my second shift (third technically, if you count orientation) and the HR TM said I was done training. I was like... WTF? I'm not scheduled at all next week but the following week, they have me down for 34 hours (yay), but still. That's crazy to call it "training". My trainer today was surprised, he said he got 3 days of training. It was hectic today, every ETL was there and so was my elusive STL and 20 interviewees and 10 people going in for orientation. Both the HR TM and HR ETL said they "may" call me next week, I'm not holding my breath though.

Exactly what Noiinteam said. I also had like two days of training and then quite a few days scheduled off. I was worried I'd come back and not remember anything. Luckily they did end up calling me in and or asking me to stay, so I got pretty good hours. They'll probably call you in on those days you have off.
I will agree that the training does suck. But, with that said, it really is about learning by doing. Ask as many questions as you can, get people to help you, and let someone know if you have a problem or don't understand a task. They have a lot of people running around doing different things so I imagine it's tough for management to know who needs extra training on what, and so on.
I've been at Target a little over a month and I finally now feel very confident running my work center as well as cashiering. I also just finally learned how to open the DVD security devices!!!! So I don't have to run over to another cashier to do it for me:)
Anyhow, just go with the flow, do your best, and try to learn as much as you can. In a few weeks you'll think this job is a breeze. Well, maybe....sometimes.

Exactly what Noiinteam said. I also had like two days of training and then quite a few days scheduled off. I was worried I'd come back and not remember anything. Luckily they did end up calling me in and or asking me to stay, so I got pretty good hours. They'll probably call you in on those days you have off.
I will agree that the training does suck. But, with that said, it really is about learning by doing. Ask as many questions as you can, get people to help you, and let someone know if you have a problem or don't understand a task. They have a lot of people running around doing different things so I imagine it's tough for management to know who needs extra training on what, and so on.
I've been at Target a little over a month and I finally now feel very confident running my work center as well as cashiering. I also just finally learned how to open the DVD security devices!!!! So I don't have to run over to another cashier to do it for me:)
Anyhow, just go with the flow, do your best, and try to learn as much as you can. In a few weeks you'll think this job is a breeze. Well, maybe....sometimes.

Thanks. I thought it was just my Target.

Yeah, my first training day, I was cashiering and man... those DVD/Bluray/etc things were hard to open! I mean I was SHOWED how to open them and they seemed easy, but when I was by myself, it was so difficult, I had to call my trainer back. She said I was trying too hard, the device does most of it--we simply have to pull back the thing on the case. I don't know, I still have to practice. I dread when a guest comes when I do back-up cashier (I'm HL) and they bring that.

I didn't even have two days of training. I don't even have my pin number (which I've asked for several times already) for the register, and the lady in HR gave me the wrong TM #, so I've basically been clocking in as someone else for the past three days. We were shadowing another cashier yesterday but we didn't get to actually use it. I work the closing shift in Electronics tomorrow and have zero experience on the register. That should be fun. But, yeah, I've had similar things happen at previous jobs, so it's not just Target.

Think that is bad. When I started in Deli in Walmart, my 'training' (eh hem) was basically 'hey, we have to start rotisserie chickens and start deep frying this/that/and the other thing'. Well, what are you waiting for? That was my training. You either jumped in and swam or you drowned. Welcome to retail/food services/slavery. Be ready to improvise, ask pertinent questions asap, and learn from expected mistakes. If you do all of this with some modicum of reticence you will survive. Best of luck and simply do it the best you can do. The worst case is that you aren't cut out for it. The best case is that you cut it and fit in. (most people fit in!!!!!)

I have a feeling I know the answer to this... I pretty much have everything checked off on my "Learning Plan" except Softlines. My first day of training, I was suppose to have 1 hour of cashier and 2 hours of soft lines but ETL-GE, GSTL, HRTL decided I should stay because I was "doing so well" as cashier. Second day of training (and last) was all hardlines. And according to my training plan, I should have that check off. This week, I'm "on call" - next week, I'm scheduled 5 days for 34 hours - all HL, should I let my ETL (HL) or some other ETL or TL know that I don't know anything about SL? My learning plan is "due" 11/1. Or should I just fake it? I mean how hard can SL be? I figure there's always a TM I can ask and play the new TM card. And I highly doubt they'll schedule me for that work center.

Also, I worked clothes retail once and this b**** kept unfolding clothes after I folded them and I was ready to smack her and drop-kick her. This is how I know I can't work SL exclusively.

Last edited:
I am new to Target as well and didn't get any training. They showed me how to log in at a register and than I was on my own.

A lot of your training will be 'on the job' because many situations happen so infrequently, that your trainer won't even think of training you for it. Plus, your trainer still has a job to complete, so they are probably just giving the basics for you to survive.

The best advice I can give is to ask lots of questions, especially if it's something new you're encountering.

SL is more than 'folding clothes', although that is a lot of it. There's a specific method for sorting them at the Fitting Room and zoning in SL has more headaches than HL (imo). You'll learn how hard it is when SL needs help at the end of the night and the HLTMs find every reason to not go over there, lol.

A lot of stores just kinda throw you into the deep end without any kind of substantial training. My store is a bit better about this, but if you don't have any prior experience with the work then you very well may drown. I'm fortunate that I have been a cashier/service desk TM for so long that the transition to GSA wasn't a huge task as I already knew most of the responsibilities, but if I had been an external hire... Every GSA external hire I've seen has drowned miserably. The only exception was as GSA who transferred from another store.

My store didn't train me well either. On my second day they didn't even have the GSTL train me how to use the cash registier they just gave me a book and told me to read it. It didn't prepare me at all. My GSTL one day asked me who trained me on the registiers and I said no one they just gave me the book. I've heard my coworkers complain that they don't feel like they know what they're doing because of lack of training.

I always hear about this book cashiers are given when they are first hired but I never saw it, much less read it. On my first day I did a few quizzes on workbench on how to bag and on alcohol sales. From there I shadowed a cashier for about an hour, then I was on my own.

Last edited:
I always hear about this book cashiers are given when they are first hired but I never saw it, much less read it. On my first day I did a few quizzes on workbench on how to bad and on alcohol sales. From there I shadowed a cashier for about an hour, then I was on my own.
sounds like you're trained to me.

sounds like you're trained to me.

Hell no I wasn't. My first couple shifts were pretty brutal because I had no idea how to navigate the POS. I voided two large transactions trying to void a line, double scanned items a couple times, threw away promo gift cards, it was a complete mess. In an hour of shadowing a cashier you see so little relative to what you actually encounter while cashiering yourself.

I always hear about this book cashiers are given when they are first hired but I never saw it, much less read it. On my first day I did a few quizzes on workbench on how to bag and on alcohol sales. From there I shadowed a cashier for about an hour, then I was on my own.

My GSTL gave it to me when I was first given "access" to the registers, granted I'm only back-up cashier. Most of it was self-explanatory from what my trainer taught me in 15 minutes, the only take-away was the red cards.

I do check & make sure that new sftm's have good understanding of register at electronics. I don't want to be running to electronics on stupid stuff.

My BFF has a PHD and is a smart mofo. He works at home for the military turning data that they give him into training material for the troops. He knows all sorts of crazy shit.

docteeshirt.JPG

Spot needs to attempt to hire him.

Further proof that training is a joke... On my 5th day, I was HELPING out this girl that had been FOUR weeks. She didn't know what a MyDevice was and how to read it and other stuff; how is that possible? She only knew I was new because I didn't have a "real" name tag yet.

i have a short shift and a long shift this week and then 36 hours next week and then 30-40 from there as a starting cashier.
Training is a great introduction but it doesn't hurt to take the initiative to learn it on your own time. I am naturally curious and like to figure out new things

Last edited:
My register training consisted of being handed fake credit/debit cards and checks, put on a lane, and being told to grab a few items and practice checking myself out until I felt comfortable. Easy enough.

It wasn't until my first time on the register "for real" that I realized I was never shown how to sign people up for a RedCard, so I just stopped asking people if they wanted one. Given the obsession with getting RedCards you would think that would've been lesson number 1!

I eventually got one RedCard when a woman asked for one...it was terrible and I'm not even sure it went through. I tried to call people over for help but everyone was busy and didn't really help. So...I think I got a RedCard? maybe?

Someone should ALWAYS be available to help new cashiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back