Training New Employees

So I’ve been working at Target longer than anyone in my department, with the exception of one team leader. Because of this, I’m trusted by my manager and TLs to oversee the rest of our department and team members. I’m unfamiliar with the whole process of training employees but for the past two weeks I have had to train this new employee who is....a handful to say the least. The team leads barely had to spend time with him whereas I have to multitask my own work while training this new guy. And I have to continuously finish everyone else’s zone and I’m the only one who picks up calls from guest services. I don’t know if this is normal or not I just think I receive an abnormal amount of responsibilities compared to everyone else in my department ? My raise last year was $0.10 which I guess is typical, also I’m a minor. Is this kind of the same for everyone?

I think you need to sit down with the person that asked you to train the new TM and be up front with what you've dealt with. "I'd love to share an update as to how training is going with *new TM*. There are a few things I think he could use extra guidance on and I'd really love to get your input on how I could best direct him towards success." When you talk to the TL or ETL be straight with them but don't word anything like you're complaining. You won't want to come off like you're whining or ranting. Always start with the positives (if any). Have the TL feel like you NEED them to help YOU help HIM. You want the TL in your corner when it's all said and done. Write out everything you need to say to your TL beforehand and format it so you sound professional and don't forget anything. After 2 more weeks update the TL again to let them know if there are any improvements or if it's just not going to work out. This terrible TM will end up dragging you all down and if they need to get rid of him it's easier if he's still in his 90 days.

I think you need to sit down with the person that asked you to train the new TM and be up front with what you've dealt with. "I'd love to share an update as to how training is going with *new TM*. There are a few things I think he could use extra guidance on and I'd really love to get your input on how I could best direct him towards success." When you talk to the TL or ETL be straight with them but don't word anything like you're complaining. You won't want to come off like you're whining or ranting. Always start with the positives (if any). Have the TL feel like you NEED them to help YOU help HIM. You want the TL in your corner when it's all said and done. Write out everything you need to say to your TL beforehand and format it so you sound professional and don't forget anything. After 2 more weeks update the TL again to let them know if there are any improvements or if it's just not going to work out. This terrible TM will end up dragging you all down and if they need to get rid of him it's easier if he's still in his 90 days.

Ah this is something I need to work on. My new ETL would love your wording. I have a tendency to say, "he is a lazy, snotty rich kid who expects someone else to wipe his ass."

A 10 cent raise is typical for someone who has not been there for a full year, at the time of the review. Is the new TM seasonal? If so, make sure you let your TL know what is going on. It would be a shame to keep a lazy TM.

I don't have any good concrete advice, but the having to do everyone's zone and all the phone calls, yeah it sounds like you're being taken advantage of, probably because you are too young to know how to establish firm boundaries in an adult work environment. Does anyone have advise for establishing those boundaries?

Team members generally do all the training because they can go through step by step, where a team lead would be the one stepping up and coaching tms after there training is complete to make sure they are up to par. Imo your doing well and holding your team together well. If you do all these things they will keep relying on you to do them. You should talk with your tl and address your concerns not just about the team member but about having to answer all the phone calls and doing extra work. The wording is very important and lucid did an excellent job explaining i would follow their advice.

Ah this is something I need to work on. My new ETL would love your wording. I have a tendency to say, "he is a lazy, snotty rich kid who expects someone else to wipe his ass."

LOL Yeah I take what I want to say and reword it. Always type out your rant first, then replace 😂

Back