Archived Transfering from store to D.C. advice welcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm transferring from the store to the D.C. in a few weeks. I like to be as prepared as possible. Any and all help and advice from seasoned veterans is welcome. I worked at a store for few years and find the 8 hour shifts pretty easy but am concerned about the 12 hour shifts I'm getting into. Young and in decent shape considering being pretty husky dude. What should I wear? shoes, clothes? What's the breaks like? What is the outbound process and what exactly will I be doing all day. I'm pretty positive I will be in outbound.

The transfer process is pretty easy. You first apply online through Target's site and notify your HRETL.From there they'll do a phone and/or in-person interview. If your going to IB or OB, you'll have to do a physical abilities test at the DC. Then your in. A word of caution though, it can be difficult to get into some DCs that don't hire very often. However, right around now-Sept is usually the best time to start applying, as we're usually looking for bodies to prep for Q4.

And no, you shouldn't have to repeat the drug test. A caveat though, whatever your off-the-clock activities may be, if you hit something with a vehicle or cause 500$+ in damages, they'll make you piss in a cup, so keep that in mind.
From another thread. Thanks @dabeastfromtheeast .

Ok, cool. I've actually already had a phone interview and been invited to orientation the 24th... They didn't do they physical ability or drug test nor have they said anything to me or the store about it... Maybe because I've been working at the store for awhile. Do they usually do they physical ability test at orientation? I'm not worried about drug test these days and not too worried about the physical abilities test.

I'm more curious about the little things I need to know to succeed and be the best I can be from day 1. Im a young dude in decent shape but pretty husky as well so Im wondering what to expect. What will I be doing all day in Outbound, whats the best clothing/shoes to wear, whats the day/ breaks like and so on..

I've got the job. they've told me my starting pay and when to show up for orientation. this last week and a half is going to drag on at the store though. #tiredof guestservice

So based on what your saying, you'll be starting Outbound A2 shift?

A2 is a pretty rough shift in my opinion, but that's where a lot of people start at. Store seniority carries over to the DC, so after 6 months you can sign up for a better shift if you don't like A2.

Dress comfortably. Most people in Outbound at my DC usually wear gym shorts, sleeveless shirts and tennis shoes. Also invest in some good insoles for your shoes.

Dabeastfromtheeast can give you better details on what to expect as far as Outbound training.

A2 breaks every 4 hours. First is about 25min and second is about 30min. And third is 12hrs lol

Overtime is hit/miss right now. I put in 2 days of overtime last week, but this week wasn't available. I'm sure there will be plenty to go around soon enough.

Lol, I've seen that shirt but for the store version instead... I think I will like the warehouse more. guest service gets old quick fast and in a hurry..

When does the physical ability test usually occur? orientation? because they told me when to show up for orientation but nothing about this test

A2 OB, it's rough, I can give you that. The guts of what you're gonna be doing in your first 90 days is loading trucks. You'll be assigned a set of trailer bay doors which can be anywhere from 3-20+ doors, depending on forecasted volumes (don't worry too much though, they'll ramp you up to get used to the speed and best practices). Once you master doors, they'll train you on equipment (Crown RC, PE and possibly TR) to learn how to do non-con sort. Around this time they'll also train you in depal, which is basically throwing boxes onto conveyors for 12 hrs straight.

I won't lie, doors can be very hard to master and very physically taxing, and are what most people quit/get walked out over. My recommendations are that you learn what doors are your fastest (highest volumes stores), and hit them more often than your other doors. Keep your yellow lights out. Always knock your door down to below your extendo's belt before going to another door.

Does the belt go into the trailors or stop at the dock.. Just wondering if you carry the boxes down to the end of trailor. I'm assuming you start filling from the back

They'll explain it all in detail on your 1st day. Yellow light means the chute is filled and cartons are riding around the sorter waiting to drop. Too much of these recirculating carton can back up the mezz and even shut the building down if it gets bad enough.

The extendoveyor is a conveyor on wheels, with a belt that helps move freight from the chute into the trailer

I think Trowa might have more specific info on the UDCs. As far as I know, the UDC is used to house products that are really hard to guess sales trends with. When a store has a need for one these items, it then sends them to the RDC (or possibly directly to the store?).

><

The UDC/IW word is very small and i'm maybe a little paranoid but... lets just say as far I "know" the UDC deals with slow moving product mostly soft-lines atm. However, things are rapidly changing in the old IW/UDC world right now so all that old info I know is (*hopefully*) going out the window.

Isitonlyme

All you really need to know if your trying to get a job is work hard just keep your headup and your self out of sight. If your hitting prod and your not a problem.. you got a job..

Last edited:
I think Trowa might have more specific info on the UDCs. As far as I know, the UDC is used to house products that are really hard to guess sales trends with. When a store has a need for one these items, it then sends them to the RDC (or possibly directly to the store?).
I may be wrong but I think that they ship directly to guests from there as well from online sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back