Archived Transferring to a different store, changing positions, etc....help a newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! So I've been working at Target since the end of February, and so far, for the most part, I like it. I'm a cashier, which I've never liked at any job; I always work much better away from the constant customer interaction and standing in one place for hours. I love to help customers but I can't handle the non-stop onslaught of them in a line. The reason why I took the job was because I was planning on moving the first week of June to a city 7 hours away and I really wanted a job I could transfer with to guarantee I had a job once I moved to my new home.

My questions are: When I transfer, is it okay to ask to work in a different department in the store? The time I'd be moving is right about when my 90 days would be up, so would that even be a possibility? Of course I'd rather keep my job as cashier and transfer instead of losing my job all together, but is it something I can ask for, or should I not even bother?

Second, I've known I was moving since last year, but after losing my previous job (half the team got laid off due to a terrible holiday season), I needed something ASAP. Thing is, I didn't tell Target I was moving, because I knew they wouldn't hire me if they knew I'd be transferring in a few months. I'll be flying out for a few days in May to the new city to look for places to live, and after that I should have a better idea of where exactly in the city I'm moving, but that only leaves half a month for me to give notice that I want to transfer. Should I let Target know earlier that I want to transfer, even if I'm unsure what store I want to transfer to yet? How does this whole process work?

If worse comes to worst I suppose I could just leave my job at this Target and apply at Targets in the new city, but that seems like it would only hurt. Any advice? Thanks so much!!

just tell your HR that some personal events are happening in your life currently and you may need to move like you said 7 hours away, and that if you could transfer to a store near where you will be living...and as for other positions, i think you can negotiate with your HR and their HR team about where to put you... i had a

friend transfer to another store and she was a market team member, but she was put in hardlines, which is the position she wanted. same with another friend, i had a buddy when i was on flow team move to a different state, and a different store and went to backroom their. i think if your certified in a certain area, then you

can be put there, but it also depends on their availability in certain departments.

and you quitting and re applying i think could ruin your chances, or at least make it alot harder in my opinion but it is possible... i know someone who did that so its definitely possible.

I'd partner with your HR and see about a transfer once you know the area you'll be in. It will take some time to get the transfer to go through. And while the store you're at can't keep you from leaving, keep in mind that the store you want to transfer to may not have any openings or hours for an extra tm. I hope it works out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back