Transitions and SPs in the same week

Whose brilliant idea is it to dump all the personal care transitions/revisions (80+ hours) plus all the sales planners (another 8 hours maybe) in the same week? Yes, I know I can start working on them two weeks ahead, but really, couldn't the SPs have waited until the following week?

Well that’s because HQ and most stores follow the typical DBO sets the revisions and SPs while a presentation expert or two will do the transitions.

my store has the presentation team do all of it because our DBOs simply don’t do anything to do with set.. or pricing.. they just push

not best practice but hey I guess that’s what works for our store

I've always thought it was a terrible idea to have them set the same week. They do it in almost every department. The only areas where it isn't a big deal is cosmetics & stationary because those areas have the clearance salvage the week of the set so you don't have to put on endcaps.

I've always thought it was a terrible idea to have them set the same week. They do it in almost every department. The only areas where it isn't a big deal is cosmetics & stationary because those areas have the clearance salvage the week of the set so you don't have to put on endcaps.
I wish they didn't do this. A good looking clearance endcap does wonders when people come in for the new merchandise that's almost always featured in the ad and then also buy up the clearance. Extra sales for both new and old stuff!

Well that’s because HQ and most stores follow the typical DBO sets the revisions and SPs while a presentation expert or two will do the transitions.

my store has the presentation team do all of it because our DBOs simply don’t do anything to do with set.. or pricing.. they just push

Lower volume stores don't have presentation teams. My store hasn't had one since modernization started. Our "true DBOs, of which there are currently 2 or 3 of us left in the store, do as much of their own set as possible. TLs do the set for the DFPs (dedicated freight pushers) with some help from those few TMs who can be trusted not to fuck it up. As a true DBO who is expected to do it all myself, it's a right pain in the ass that everything is due at once.

We recently reinstated our POG team. Before that we would just panic and call people in to set. The only set we scheduled out was rear seasonal. Our pog team has been mostly setting transition but helping out with revisions and salesplanners when possible. We've just been getting slammed with freight and working all truck, price change, pulls, visuals plus 8-12 hours of set workload is impossible for DBOs to keep up with. My poor seasonal/pets/luggage DBO has pets resetting this week and has been getting 4-5 pallets worth of mini seasonal candy on each truck that there's no space to backstock. We've started palletizing mini seasonal candy that we have in bulk. I also have a bunch of toys revisions and salesplans this week and I know I'm going to have to help over there too because my toy DBO hasn't even had a chance to do visuals recently. Plus I have a couple of overdue sporting goods salesplans that still have to be set from this past week; thankfully I was able to get all the transition and revisions done on time. And I have to help plan/execute the personal care transition even though it isn't my department because I know the team lead over that department won't since he's running doubles this week. Honestly half the time I end up doing the price change for my DBOs, especially if there is a lot.

Really I wish the company spread out transitions more between team leads areas even though I know ASANTS. They could at least split it up having one week hardlines/seasonal, one week home/storage & utility/stationery/domestics and one week essentials since I'm fairly certain that's the way most stores split up their GM team leads. Right now I'm drowning in workload, get a brief break the week personal care resets, then I have baby resetting, which is also one of my departments. And then after that I have to start thinking about prepping for BTS since we're an early set store, then super freaky BTC and then before you know it it's Q4 again. I just really need a break.

Lower volume stores don't have presentation teams. My store hasn't had one since modernization started. Our "true DBOs, of which there are currently 2 or 3 of us left in the store, do as much of their own set as possible. TLs do the set for the DFPs (dedicated freight pushers) with some help from those few TMs who can be trusted not to fuck it up. As a true DBO who is expected to do it all myself, it's a right pain in the ass that everything is due at once.
This sounds like my store - we are low volume (though more than pre-covid). I like that "true DBO" phrase.
Looked more closely at the hours listed per POG and some of them are really bonkers - over 20 hours for two 4-foot sections of electric toothbrushes? Even when new display hardware had to be installed, it didn't take that long. Over 7 hours for women's deodorant? I've done this POG a few times now and, while it's a lot of little things to get in the right places, that seems double what it'll likely take. So I'm not as panicky.
Other TMs are pushing my case packs this week (I'll still be doing the repacks), so I can work on transitions. Have to keep reminding myself that I appreciate the help ... had yesterday off and today found where gas relief tablets were put in a space for Lactaid, lots of overstock, back stock put in goofy places (even though I have my sections labeled well) ... but I appreciate the help!

Only high volume stores have a presentation team. The rest of the stores are still stuck setting everything as a dbo (or tl because dbos cant)

This sounds like my store - we are low volume (though more than pre-covid). I like that "true DBO" phrase.
Looked more closely at the hours listed per POG and some of them are really bonkers - over 20 hours for two 4-foot sections of electric toothbrushes? Even when new display hardware had to be installed, it didn't take that long. Over 7 hours for women's deodorant? I've done this POG a few times now and, while it's a lot of little things to get in the right places, that seems double what it'll likely take. So I'm not as panicky.
Other TMs are pushing my case packs this week (I'll still be doing the repacks), so I can work on transitions. Have to keep reminding myself that I appreciate the help ... had yesterday off and today found where gas relief tablets were put in a space for Lactaid, lots of overstock, back stock put in goofy places (even though I have my sections labeled well) ... but I appreciate the help!

You're like me with the "help." I've kicked the last 3 people they scheduled to work my area on my off days out. Just straight up told my ETL, don't schedule people that haven't been trained unless you want me to spend half a day cleaning up after them. A 4th person is scheduled this week. We'll see how that goes.

As for POG timing, you never know how long it's going to take until you actually set it. Whatever you don't rush. You'll likely need to change a lot of capacities on those pogs.

I'm just confused about why so many stores aren't allowed to have a plano team when the direction from HQ appears to consistently be that there's supposed to be one.

I honestly don't know if we're allowed to have a plano team or not. It's a moot point. I was just talking to my ETL about it today. If we have say, 20 hours of set, we don't have a single body we could schedule for those 20 hours who knows how to do it. We can't even schedule someone to push so the DBO can set because we don't have enough fill-ins who can not only keep up the pace but also be trusted to push things correctly so the new set doesn't get fucked up.

My store doesn't have a POG team anymore. They just pull experienced TMs from their areas as DBOs to set other areas. It's frustrating because my area suffers while I have to set a transition. I like to set. I don't like my area suffering so I can help an different area set their stuff.

As for Transitions and Salesplanners in the same week. That falls into the same camp as salvage should be the same week (or week before) as the transition. Without all the clearance around you would be able to set all the salesplanners without issue. I still have salesplanners from my last reset not set because I am waiting for enough to salvage to free up my endcaps. And I have a new round of salesplanners coming soon.

As for POG timing, you never know how long it's going to take until you actually set it. Whatever you don't rush. You'll likely need to change a lot of capacities on those pogs.
Oh my word, no kidding. Did electric toothbrushes today (the one that was supposed to take 20+ hours!) and of course it didn't. And then liquid hand soap said 2.5 hours ... but it was more like 4.0. Got it into shoppable condition, but pushing the new product is waiting until tomorrow.
As for changing capacities, this is such a pain in the neck. I tend to do mine as I go along, and change them before I back stock anything. It just takes too long to check and change them when I do the set.

Those are easy it’s revisions

Those are only going to be easy if the aisles are being zoned daily and not overstocked. If not, they will take time because you have to fix everything to complete the revision. Obviously, in an ideal world they would be easy, but most of us aren't dealing with easy right now.

Back