Archived Tried a return today...nothing worked...felt about the guy...so gave him money out of my own pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would NEVER give the guest my own money. I would find a way to do the return or not depending on the situation.

I used my ID to return an item for a fellow TM once because she has no drivers license (she's rode her bike to work for as long as I've worked here, I assume she lost her license to a DUI). She had a passport ID, but the system doesn't accept that to do a return off of it.
K1 - Enter ID --> K1 - Hand Key --> choose passport and type the number

Asking others for help means swallowing your pride, but if you don't learn to ask, you'll live life limited to what you happen to know... like where your wallet is located.

When training my Front End, I specifically say, "EVERYTHING is fixable, do-able, solvable on the register or with the guest... do not hesitate to call." :)

That said, I once charged a guest on their credit card, but accidentally voided the payment. (partials won't be available balance if voided)
No work-arounds I could come up with for my mistake, felt really bad. Did offer to pay for their stuff out of pocket, and just the offer went a long way toward helping the sweet guests not break down with their kids there and all.

(Off the clock) I gave a Christmas gift to a regular guest in our ulv store, sweetest stay-at-home father with the cutest little, well-behaved kids I've ever seen! Totally rocked :)

Again, generosity is not the problem. generosity will always be in our power to do. Sometimes, it is also in our power to find better solutions and find better problem-solvers who can help. More training on how to ask for help was needed. I love this site for this though, always many generous, outgoing people ready to help someone in their emotional or professional time of need. You guys rock, i appreciate all this so much :)

What you do with your money is your prerogative (and it sure as hell isn't mine), but this is the kind of situation that apology coupons or 979'd gift cards are for. Always partner with a supervisor. Really, my biggest issue here is that this guest may expect the same treatment later on down the road with you or a different team member. The guests in my store are self-entitled enough; I don't need them thinking that they're going to get the money out of my pocket, too.

What you do with your money is your prerogative (and it sure as hell isn't mine), but this is the kind of situation that apology coupons or 979'd gift cards are for. Always partner with a supervisor. Really, my biggest issue here is that this guest may expect the same treatment later on down the road with you or a different team member. The guests in my store are self-entitled enough; I don't need them thinking that they're going to get the money out of my pocket, too.
This.
If this guest comes to my store asking to get cash for gift cards or returning something without a receipt and asks for me to pay him out of my pocket I'll know who to blame. Situations like this make people expect things that are not normal. I hope OP made it clear to the guy that this would NEVER happen again.

Now if a guest is paying and is a few pennies short, I usually toss in a few cents. Guest get happy, and I have less weight in my pocket

Since they don't count the change in our cash drawers I'll tell the guest not to worry about the change. They're happy and I'm happy.....and no money is lost.

Many, many moons ago when I was about seven or eight years old I went, with my friend and her mom, to a local chain drugstore. I bought something (can't tell you what it was) and when I went to pay for it I was two cents short. The cashier was nasty and told me that I couldn't buy the item because I didn't have enough money. I was devastated. After that experience I decided that, if I ever worked at a store, I would NEVER do to a person what was done to me.

As long as the person is less than 10 to 15 cents short (and I've seen them get their change out) I'll tell them not to worry about it. No harm....no foul. They're happy and any time it happens I feel very spiteful towards the cashier at that store......all those years ago.

601 and 619. Our store distinguishes between requisitions for the floor and the office... and everything in between pretty much.

No, people with less do not tend to do more. Video is irrelevant, counterexample does not invalidate the rule. It may be true that those with less give a larger percentage of their total wealth, but that's not at all the same thing. Giving 50% of my $100 is not more than someone else giving 5% of their $1,000,000.​

Of course not, the video is just merely one example of a homeless man giving something. For all I know it is a staged video, but from the video itself I don't necessarily think this is the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back