Archived Trophy Shirt Controversy

• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
The shirt says trophy, indicating that the woman wearing the shirt is a trophy to be won. To me, that looks like the woman would have high self esteem to consider herself a prize, something you have to fight for if you want her. If a woman wants to think that, then by all means let her.

That's what I thought too :/ lol

I completely get it, and I agree/understand the issue. Something easy to not think about, but I guess that's pretty much the issue at hand.

It's a SHIRT. This is the PC crowd going wild, yet again. The article called this "rape culture" like seriously? Sexist, you can make the argument for. Perpetuating rape culture? Oh piss off.

The shirt says trophy, indicating that the woman wearing the shirt is a trophy to be won. To me, that looks like the woman would have high self esteem to consider herself a prize, something you have to fight for if you want her. If a woman wants to think that, then by all means let her.

I'm so tired of feminists and the PC crowd trying to ban everything they don't like from the public market instead of letting the public decide whether it should be stocked or not.

Really of all the times you have seen me post you are accusing me of being PC?

Some of the responses in this thread have been downright pathetic. Everyone who has a problem with this is considered oversensitive or being insulted for daring to view something that implies women are objects as in bad taste. No one is advocating some sort of ban imposed by the government. The people who are against this just think it's poor form and that a huge corporation like Target shouldn't be promoting such a concept.

What if there was a shirt that said the stupid question "do you even lift"? What would happen if amputees were offended by it since they are missing arms? It cracks me up how easily people whine and cry over stupid shit that no one cares about. It's a poorly made shirt at Target that's a whopping 12.99. Ooooo scary. Just shut up wimps. If you don't want to wear it, don't buy it. If you don't want to look at it while at Target then don't buy clothes or close your eyes.

I think the major problem, is people are looking for a reason to get upset. Everyone is different and we need to accept it. That shirt isn't hurting anyone. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It could be used as a joke and it could be other things, but bottom line, it's just a shirt.

I have a friend on Facebook whose occupation is listed as "Trophy Wife." I can TOTALLY see her wearing this!

I used to have a shirt that said something like "embrace the crazy " and a lady came up to me out of the blue and started lecturing me on how it was offensive to make fun of people with mental health issues, I should go somewhere and turn it inside out, & how would I like it if I saw someone wearing. Shirt that made fun of something me or my kids suffered from. I basically told her to stfu because I could wear whatever the hell I wanted & she knew nothing about me or my family. My son & I BOTH "have mental health issues" and HE was the one who bought it for me for Christmas & I would CONTINUE to wear it because I thought it was important for people with issues to stop hiding them!

I saw this in an email and immediately went to Target.com to look for it. It's listed as not available. If you go into the plus sized they're out of stock. Now I really want one! Both Amazon and Ebay have shirts that say Trophy Wife and Ebay has one that says Trophy Husband. I personally think it's someone that reads something bad into everything. What is it I saw (I think) on FB? - the Perpetually Offended.

Free speech has nothing to do with private businesses and it also does not mean that one will face no repercussions from that speech. It only means that the US government can not restrict speech.

This so many times over.
If you are going to stand up for something stand up for the right thing.

And you don't get to weasel out of it by saying that it's your opinion so you shouldn't get called out, either.
http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-7611752

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back