Truck unloaders - back pain

Anyone out ther a thrower for unloading a truck? I seem to get through smaller trucks just fine, but recently I've started to get pain in my upper and lower back as I reach the last panel of a larger truck. Have any of you expierenced this, and if so, what have you done to make it better? I try lifting with my knees but sometimes you just can't when you're rushing. The pain also starts slowing me down, especially with heavier items

Definitely bend with your knees. Ask for help. Back brace. Stretching. Can't blame Target on this one.

Anyone out ther a thrower for unloading a truck? I seem to get through smaller trucks just fine, but recently I've started to get pain in my upper and lower back as I reach the last panel of a larger truck. Have any of you expierenced this, and if so, what have you done to make it better? I try lifting with my knees but sometimes you just can't when you're rushing. The pain also starts slowing me down, especially with heavier items
Can you ask your TL if you can rotate out partways through the bigger trucks? I wouldn't push it when it comes to back pain...I've known too many twenty-somethings with bad backs already from throwing 5+ days a week with this company. And let's not pretend "team lift" is anything besides a joke when you're inside the truck. Take care of yourself, this job will chew you up, spit you out, and replace you in a heartbeat.

I agree im one of those twenty somethings with a fucked up body from throwing 6 whole trucks a week by myself including doubles for the last few years.
My advice is dont do it
Its hell on your body
I would strongly suggest having rotating days with another thrower so you both get off days every other day to recover .
And yes you well probably get shit from managment if your there go to thrower but remember its not there body thats slowly getting destroyed and $12 is not worth the medical bills your going to get when you get older from your time at target

Try switching out days...even athletes have rest days and rotate their training to help rest different muscle groups.

And yes, you can blame Target for this one. Repetitive motion injuries is a legitimate thing.

You could see your doctor to develop a plan of how to heal your current pain as well as prevent further injuries. Possibly consider a FMLA letter. With all of that said, expect push back from Spot.

Please give consideration to the thought that what you do now will likely affect you when you're in your 50's, 60's and older.

Good luck!

I agree im one of those twenty somethings with a fucked up body from throwing 6 whole trucks a week by myself including doubles for the last few years.
My advice is dont do it
Its hell on your body
I would strongly suggest having rotating days with another thrower so you both get off days every other day to recover .
And yes you well probably get shit from managment if your there go to thrower but remember its not there body thats slowly getting destroyed and $12 is not worth the medical bills your going to get when you get older from your time at target

Yep, in my mid 40's and have a back that is destroyed. Yeah I can haul that 40lb bag of dog food in the house but there will be hell to pay later. Or after a day at work, by the time I get home I am lucky I can crawl out of the car to get in the house muscles tighten up so bad.

Take care of yourself, this job will chew you up, spit you out, and replace you in a heartbeat.
Please give consideration to the thought that what you do now will likely affect you when you're in your 50's, 60's and older.
Yep, in my mid 40's and have a back that is destroyed. Yeah I can haul that 40lb bag of dog food in the house but there will be hell to pay later. Or after a day at work, by the time I get home I am lucky I can crawl out of the car to get in the house muscles tighten up so bad.
Sad but true. Can’t tell you how many of my friends had retail job injuries/repetitive motion injuries and are now retired with bad backs, damaged necks, bad knees, carpal tunnel, and arthritis. Won’t even go into what happens to feet that walk on concrete all day for 30 or 40 years, but it’s not pretty. We all just pushed on and got the job done but are paying for it now, and speaking of paying for it, the now defunct retailer that we worked for was really good at avoiding paying for surgery for on the job injuries, so it’s not like anyone’s sacrifices were appreciated tbh. I would see a doctor about your back pain and take his advice.

I Feel your pain, been throwing trucks at Target since 2013 and it definitely takes its toll on the back. I've tried using proper lifting techniques but it slows things down and I like to unload as fast as possible. I'm in my mid 20's and I have to take it easy sometimes too. The only thing you can do is rotate out with other team members and let your team lead know that you are dealing with back pain. A big problem we have at our store is our team is mostly made up of older team members so its only a few that I can rotate out with. This is the last year that I plan on throwing the trucks though, getting tired of the hot summers in there and the back pain.

Percocet works pretty well, don't ask me how I know

This is only a half serious post by the way...when I have the rare opportunity to score some percs from a non-junkie normal person who I trust, I pick up a few and hang onto them for days when I anticipate an enormous truck. One single dose and I could crush a whole ass 2400 trailer by myself. I actually got a scrip for them a couple months back which is lit. Only downside is when I'm taking them I have to Uber to work and take lots of Miralax so I don't give birth to a rock

This is only a half serious post by the way...when I have the rare opportunity to score some percs from a non-junkie normal person who I trust, I pick up a few and hang onto them for days when I anticipate an enormous truck. One single dose and I could crush a whole ass 2400 trailer by myself. I actually got a scrip for them a couple months back which is lit. Only downside is when I'm taking them I have to Uber to work and take lots of Miralax so I don't give birth to a rock

I know painkillers tend to block you up, but sh*ts being that bad? I'm constipated normally, the idea of it being any worse is horrifying

my more health conscious advice would be to 1) make sure you get enough shleep every night and 2) don't be afraid to pay as much as you have to for some extra supportive shoes. Thou shalt not cheap out on shoes ever.

I mention shleep because I know that a lot of other people who do this job like to stay up all night playing video games and then crashing for a couple hours before work, and repeating every night. If I did that I would wake up in a coffin pretty quick because that shit would shave 20 years per day off my life. Yikes.

My best advice is stretching. I always get pain in my upper back and shoulders, so I do a ton of shoulder stretches. Yes I have to wake up 20 minutes earlier, but if I don't get my 20 minutes of stretching in before work I feel it after about 30 minutes unloading. Stretching isn't going to solve everything though, I still have bad pain, more and more recently, but without stretching I would feel so much worse everyday.

I've tried coffee, and it all tastes burnt to me except for the lightest of light roasts, and even then I have to mix it with cocoa powder or instant hot chocolate. Got any blend suggestions?

I'm afraid I like dark roast, black coffee myself. I think lighter roasts can be really nice though. I get my coffee locally (despite my role, I'm not a fan of Sbux brewed coffee). Some people prefer iced coffee or cold brew too. But really, if you dont like coffee, no need to drink it.

I'm afraid I like dark roast, black coffee myself. I think lighter roasts can be really nice though. I get my coffee locally (despite my role, I'm not a fan of Sbux brewed coffee). Some people prefer iced coffee or cold brew too. But really, if you dont like coffee, no need to drink it.

I want to like coffee because soda is so bad for me (and I consume it near constantly due to caffeine dependence), and I could use the GI stimulation that coffee provides. Thanks for at least chiming in though

Back