Truck unloaders - back pain

Anyone out ther a thrower for unloading a truck? I seem to get through smaller trucks just fine, but recently I've started to get pain in my upper and lower back as I reach the last panel of a larger truck. Have any of you expierenced this, and if so, what have you done to make it better? I try lifting with my knees but sometimes you just can't when you're rushing. The pain also starts slowing me down, especially with heavier items

I used to throw and had the same issue. Back was always hurting, sometimes so bad that I’d have to call out the next day. I went to the doctor and found out I had a bulging disc in my back and got documentation saying I can’t throw a truck. Go to the doctor and see if you can get excused from it if it’s that bad.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've gotten a back brace and I think I'm gonna ask my TL if it's possible to rotate out after the third panel. Usually I only unload once a week unless there is a call out or something. I'm already in my 20s, and although that's still young, my body is not in the same condition it was 5 years ago. I only recently started throwing

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've gotten a back brace and I think I'm gonna ask my TL if it's possible to rotate out after the third panel. Usually I only unload once a week unless there is a call out or something. I'm already in my 20s, and although that's still young, my body is not in the same condition it was 5 years ago. I only recently started throwing

If your new to throwing you going to have some pain but it should go away once you build the right muscles. Now if you do it to much then you well develop issues.
That being said only do as much as your comfortable.
I suggest tylenol/caffeine mix before your shift to help numb the pain while at work if you have a oh god my back kinda day

Do not mess up your back. Once it's in trouble, it can be difficult to fix. Even if you love your job, it's not worth it.
That said, and you already know about lifting with your legs, avoid twisting and lifting at the same time like the plague. It's way easier to injure yourself if your back is twisted to the side while you're lifting even a smallish weight. And if you can increase the strength of your abs (all around, not just the front belly ones), that'll help support your back.

When you're lifting, try standing at a slight stance, utilizing a comfortable mixture of both knees and back, so that you're not using TOO much of one body area.
Also, definitely wear a snug athletic knee compress on both knees so that you can use your knees more so than your back.
I'm in my 50's and both my knees are blown, but i can still comfortably lift thanks to actual knee braces that i wear under my pants when lifting.

When talking to your doctor specifically a chiropractor ask about certain exercises for your back. My sister has problems with her feet and she went specific doctor about it and she gave her specific exercises for her feet plus telling her ice packs it made her feel better until she stopped doing them. So ask your doctor. Also the advice about the shoes is 100% a good idea. I recently changed my shoes and it's a life saver. I go out on walks more and more because of the shoe change and the blister on my foot is no more.

You stop unloading.

Tell your TL you need to do something else for a week or so. Then make sure you let HR know that you've requested to be taken off unload as a precaution. If you don't feel any better or still are experiencing some issued see a doctor.

As others have said your back is nothing to fool around with as it will cause you a lifetime of dibilitating problems if you don't address it immediately.

I used to be Flow TL and threw the truck every day for a year and a half. It took me months to recover after I stopped doing it. The chemicals and cat litter were the worst.

What's up with bumping the year old thread?

You stop unloading.

Tell your TL you need to do something else for a week or so. Then make sure you let HR know that you've requested to be taken off unload as a precaution. If you don't feel any better or still are experiencing some issued see a doctor.

As others have said your back is nothing to fool around with as it will cause you a lifetime of dibilitating problems if you don't address it immediately.
Unfortunately the spot would ask for medical documentation before taking the person off. Even then they might say we can't take you off because there is no one to replace you. That's bullshit they me all the time.

Unfortunately the spot would ask for medical documentation before taking the person off. Even then they might say we can't take you off because there is no one to replace you. That's bullshit they me all the time.
Actually best practice is to switch unloaded every 30 minutes for that reason to give them breaks

Back