Archived Truck unloaders venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a small vent.
You have a list of how many team members come in for truck each morning. You also have a list of the truck contents and how long it should take to push.
Let's ignore all that and bowl as much product to the floor and give the team 45 minutes to clean it up, even though HBA is 80 hours (or so it seems) and you have STAT, HOME, and MARKET bowled out.

Total sense is made.

Here's a small vent.
You have a list of how many team members come in for truck each morning. You also have a list of the truck contents and how long it should take to push.
Let's ignore all that and bowl as much product to the floor and give the team 45 minutes to clean it up, even though HBA is 80 hours (or so it seems) and you have STAT, HOME, and MARKET bowled out.

Total sense is made.

If you are a 4am unload not so much. We would probably stage an area or two. 6am process this is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE IDEA!!!!

We bowl chems and market out for 6AM. It's about the only thing we'll get done before 8AM. Our trucks are very small, so I imagine you'd get way less done if you were larger volume.

I don't do flow for Spot, but I was a Support Manager (Sr. TL) for the overnight team at Wally for a while. I had transferred from a Sam's Club where I was a front-end supervisor and on my first day at Wally the Support I was working with thought it would be good for me to learn how to throw the truck. We unloaded at 4:00. Not 4AM, 4PM in the HOT JULY VIRGINIA SUN! I was shocked to discover that nothing got scanned coming off of the truck. The unloaders were scheduled from 4-12mid and anything left on the trucks was overnight's responsibility. Their productivity was snail's pace compared to Spot. Usually someone inside the truck just starts overloading the line if the sorters are slacking off and yelling for them to speed up because they want to get out of the truck. The 4PM truck would get pushed to the floor at 9PM for overnight to start at 10. God forbid there was more than one truck!

I love the FDC pallets that are 9 feet tall. What did they do at the FDC to stack the pallet that high, boost each other up?

well if tour receiving pallets from one of the newest FDC's either Denton of the other one(I can't remember where off the top of my head, but it's in Ohio) the pallets of food are stacked up by Kuka robots. They are stacked that high just so Target can get the most product in a trailer, after all refrigerated transport is expensive and there is notoriously very little margin on food.

I love the FDC pallets that are 9 feet tall. What did they do at the FDC to stack the pallet that high, boost each other up?

well if tour receiving pallets from one of the newest FDC's either Denton of the other one(I can't remember where off the top of my head, but it's in Ohio) the pallets of food are stacked up by Kuka robots. They are stacked that high just so Target can get the most product in a trailer, after all refrigerated transport is expensive and there is notoriously very little margin on food.

Nope, my store's FDC is in Phoenix.

I understand about the low margin on food, which is why we hope they buy other stuff with higher margin in the store.

We've had some awful double pallets as well. Just last week there was a pallet of charcoal on top of a pallet of paper. It was half hanging off and ended up falling over when it just got out of the truck.

There is always furniture, cases of detergent, cat litter, etc all the way at the top as well. It's a miracle no one has gotten very seriously hurt. It's unbelievable what he loaders get away with.

Does one of your unloaders also work the bulk pallets after unload is finished? Is your store allowed to use the electric pallet jack out on the floor?

A pallet of charcoal stacked on top of paper? You need to tell your ETL-LOG to call the DC and make sure they correct it on any future trucks. That is a MAJOR safety hazard. I unloaded trucks for the first few years of working at Target, I definitely don't miss it.

I've had a pallet worth of dog food, flour, sugar stacked on the floor without a pallet. And let's not forget two pallets next to each other sideways with small boxes wedged in so it's nearly impossible to pull them out.

Mine is the new Denton FDC, love the DCI labels on everything, makes some things a lot easier. Kind of concerned when it comes time to start scanning the FDC truck. The mixing of the pallets has been awful lately but they say their working on it. One can only hope.

Mine is the new Denton FDC, love the DCI labels on everything, makes some things a lot easier. Kind of concerned when it comes time to start scanning the FDC truck. The mixing of the pallets has been awful lately but they say their working on it. One can only hope.

Denton FDC here too. The pallets aren't always stacked well. Frozen is fine, but everything else is mixed up all the time. We've gotten produce stacked with fresh meat. Poultry on top of other meat. And pick labels that don't scan. Other than the ones that don't scan or have expiration dates for undated fresh product. HQ is working on a fix so produce doesn't print with an expiration date. Hopefully they get that fixed soon. I'm interested to see how the unload will go once we start that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back