Archived Trying To Become A TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently a "flow team" member. I joined Target for this position just over 90 days ago since then, I've worked with Planogram building shelves, resetting sections, ect.. I've also worked in electronics and at this point spend as much time in the Backroom as I do on the floor.

I pull POG's, Research pulls and and every other thing that comes my way. I also backstock, zone and again, anything else.

I was looking on the jobs site a few nights ago and noticed and opening in another one of our area stores titled "Executive Team Leader". I've spoken to a couple of my TL's about it and they both told me to speak with our HR who has been out for the last couple of days.

I know I'm still pretty new, but I wanted to know if you guys thought I had a chance and what I can expect to happen once I speak with out HR.

Thanks.

An Executive Team leader (assistant store manager) is a salaried FLSA-exempt position for college grads (bachelors degree is a minimum requirement.) Do you have this?

If yes, you should definitely speak with your ETL-HR and STL, they can send you in the right direction if they choose to support you.

If no, you could consider going for a Team Leader (supervisor) position if there are any open. That also requires talking to your assigned TL and ETL about developing and becoming a leader in the building. You'll do an interview with your ETL-HR, STL, and DTL. Once you pass these interviews, you're considered a "bench team leader" which means you're a team member waiting for a TL job to open up.

Hint: if your leadership supports you, the ETL-HR and STL interviews will just be a formality; mine never actually happened, my only formal interview was with the district team lead. The interview with the district team lead is what your superiors should help you prep for. Your assigned team leader, ETL, ETL-HR, or STL can help you prep for that. Along with all of us here on the forum. (My ETL-Guest Experience, Store Team Leader, and Assets Protection Leader helped me prep for my various target interviews.)

The biggest thing you need to know, besides being able to interview well, is that since you're internal you need your store leaderships support for any type of advancement. Your team leads, executive team leads, and store team lead need to be behind you or it's not going to happen. Basically, your STL is god and he/she can put you wherever he/she wants, should you pass your team lead interviews.

Last edited:
No, I don't have a degree. I am currently in school though. Which leads me to my next question.

I was supposed to start my next class about a month from now, but yesterday I got a call from my college and it turns out the evening class has been pushed back until September. There is however; and daytime one starting in about two weeks. But I work days, I have never worked evenings, but that would make it easier for me.

I know I might sound scatter brained now, but I'm not, it's just that I would like to begin classes as soon as possible, but I need my job. I know that no team leads are available at my store now.

So, do you guys think my store would move me to evening to accommodate my classes, or would I end up looking like I wanted too much. I mean, I like my TL's and they have never been anything but great to me. I'm just afraid to rock the boat. What should I do?

Likely, no. Target culture isn't the best nowadays.

No, I don't have a degree. I am currently in school though. Which leads me to my next question.

I was supposed to start my next class about a month from now, but yesterday I got a call from my college and it turns out the evening class has been pushed back until September. There is however; and daytime one starting in about two weeks. But I work days, I have never worked evenings, but that would make it easier for me.

I know I might sound scatter brained now, but I'm not, it's just that I would like to begin classes as soon as possible, but I need my job. I know that no team leads are available at my store now.

So, do you guys think my store would move me to evening to accommodate my classes, or would I end up looking like I wanted too much. I mean, I like my TL's and they have never been anything but great to me. I'm just afraid to rock the boat. What should I do?

If your leaders have even half of a soul, they'll understand that your education is important. They should let you switch your availability to evenings. You would likely get closing shifts in the backroom, electronics, and/or sales floor (based on what you've posted).

Hopefully so mrknownothing. I'm going to talk to my HR tomorrow if I can catch her, if not I know I'll see her on Thursday.

I looked again and the other store I spoke about originally also has openings for backroom and presentation. So if evenings are for some reason, simply out of the question at my store, maybe I can transfer.

Even if you had your bachelors degree, you still (most likely) would not get an ETL position after 90 days of being a TM. Target almost always looks for people fresh out of college with no Target experience. Those who are internal would be pushed to go through the full process of TM -> TL -> ETL.

My store people don't get promoted unless they approach you.. and good luck tranfers and availability changes under 90 days is near impossible.. and finally corp just restructured ETL system(cut a few ETL positions) so most stores have too many ETLs and TL.. also like what was also said.. if you already work for spot.. you'll have to slowly go up ladder

I keep hear for years how they thinking of getting rid of food ave. And with the trouble they had this past year I bet they will cut it in next year so needless to say promotions in the next couple of years will be slim pickins

DUDE, IM SERIOUS HERE, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. WORK THE TERRIBLE JOB YOU HAVE NOW WHILE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BETTER.

I know a few ETL's (including my own, who is by far the best ETL I've ever worked with ) who was a team member through college and applied to be an ETL after getting her diploma. I feel like it's easier to make Team Member positions look more like external hires if you apply through a college job fair

I know a few ETL's (including my own, who is by far the best ETL I've ever worked with ) who was a team member through college and applied to be an ETL after getting her diploma. I feel like it's easier to make Team Member positions look more like external hires if you apply through a college job fair
They likely did the internship program, that's the biggest "loophole" to get past the TL/ETL glass ceiling.

They likely did the internship program, that's the biggest "loophole" to get past the TL/ETL glass ceiling.

Correct! She did!

Correct! She did!
I'm in this same predicament have my TL interview Monday.. but grad soon... considering pushing back graduating just so I can try to apply for the internship for next summer... (just missed the deadline to apply this summer).... my STL says she sees me as an ETL now though.. however I may not get a TL position in my store bc we just reached the correct headcount with our most recent transfer out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back