Archived Trying to move around, what are my options at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmptyCart

Cashier (2014-2016), Hardlines (2017-now)
I've been a cashier for almost 1 year and 9 months (end of March), and for the last 8-9 months of that I was trying to get moved to Guest Services, to no avail from my ETL-GE who refused to unless I got more red cards. Gave up on that idea after it was clear I would never meet his expectation for that. Tried moving to hardlines:
ETL-SF was in total agreement. ETL-GE basically alluded to not caring at this point, and that he wouldn't stop me. STL said he'd look into it and didn't see an issue with it. ETL-HR said no because we're too low on cashiers, and he can't hurt one workcenter to help another one which doesn't need the help as much. It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it. I very very very highly doubt we'll ever have "enough" cashiers to meet that goal, we never have in the almost-2 years I've been there.

So, I'm pretty much out of options outside of working at a different store, or just quitting altogether. Cashiering is a huge mental drain on me at this point and triggers further anxiety, stress, and the situation in general really gets at some minor-depression issues I've been having recently. Even a 4 hour shift is never anything I look forward to. The only reasons I have to look forward to cashier shifts is when one of the 2 GSTL's is in (she knows me really well and what I like to do such as covering her breaks, if I wasn't in college for computer science, GSTL would be a dream job for me at the moment), or because all of the cashier team is super fun to work with. Doing the cashiering itself however, is not.

That being said, although my next best bet is to apply to a different local Target store, I really don't want to give up the awesome team I have at this store. I doubt I'll ever have a better group of team members to work with ever again. It's a bit of a stretch, but is it possible to work at more than one Target store at a time? Hardlines in one, Cashiering/occasional Guest Service at the current one (assuming another store nearby even has a Hardlines position open to begin with). Or, even further (I would imagine this is very frowned upon and probably not ever a good idea) could I put my 2 weeks in as a "cashier" at my current store, wait a few weeks, and re-apply directly for Hardlines then? I'm not sure how people are flagged in the HR system when it comes to re-applying to the same location.

Don't quote me but I believe when you quit you have to wait 90 days to re apply maybe someone on here can give you the exact answer but I believe 90 days you'd have to wait. And I know how you feel. There have been plenty of times that I've wanted to leave my store do to etls or stls however the fact that I have such a great team always helped me stay

I've been a cashier for almost 1 year and 9 months (end of March), and for the last 8-9 months of that I was trying to get moved to Guest Services, to no avail from my ETL-GE who refused to unless I got more red cards. Gave up on that idea after it was clear I would never meet his expectation for that. Tried moving to hardlines:
ETL-SF was in total agreement. ETL-GE basically alluded to not caring at this point, and that he wouldn't stop me. STL said he'd look into it and didn't see an issue with it. ETL-HR said no because we're too low on cashiers, and he can't hurt one workcenter to help another one which doesn't need the help as much. It makes sense, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it. I very very very highly doubt we'll ever have "enough" cashiers to meet that goal, we never have in the almost-2 years I've been there.

So, I'm pretty much out of options outside of working at a different store, or just quitting altogether. Cashiering is a huge mental drain on me at this point and triggers further anxiety, stress, and the situation in general really gets at some minor-depression issues I've been having recently. Even a 4 hour shift is never anything I look forward to. The only reasons I have to look forward to cashier shifts is when one of the 2 GSTL's is in (she knows me really well and what I like to do such as covering her breaks, if I wasn't in college for computer science, GSTL would be a dream job for me at the moment), or because all of the cashier team is super fun to work with. Doing the cashiering itself however, is not.

That being said, although my next best bet is to apply to a different local Target store, I really don't want to give up the awesome team I have at this store. I doubt I'll ever have a better group of team members to work with ever again. It's a bit of a stretch, but is it possible to work at more than one Target store at a time? Hardlines in one, Cashiering/occasional Guest Service at the current one (assuming another store nearby even has a Hardlines position open to begin with). Or, even further (I would imagine this is very frowned upon and probably not ever a good idea) could I put my 2 weeks in as a "cashier" at my current store, wait a few weeks, and re-apply directly for Hardlines then? I'm not sure how people are flagged in the HR system when it comes to re-applying to the same location.
If quitting to reapply as something else is what it has come too tell hr that and if they say no then immediately request a transfer to somewhere that does have something open and if they still say no then they don't even care about you at that point and you should just put your two weeks in. Target isn't super flexible with work centers unless it is beneficial to them

Don't quote me but I believe when you quit you have to wait 90 days to re apply maybe someone on here can give you the exact answer but I believe 90 days you'd have to wait. And I know how you feel. There have been plenty of times that I've wanted to leave my store do to etls or stls however the fact that I have such a great team always helped me stay

One of my store's longest lasting sales floor team members told me last year "good luck but they're going to 'yes you to death' " in reference to me moving around. I didn't listen to her :/

If quitting to reapply as something else is what it has come too tell hr that and if they say no then immediately request a transfer to somewhere that does have something open and if they still say no then they don't even care about you at that point and you should just put your two weeks in. Target isn't super flexible with work centers unless it is beneficial to them

If I do have to resort to going to another store for this I'm gonna aim to do it on good (or, at least neutral) terms, so we'll see if I have to resort to that. I fear that I'm not speaking for myself as much as I should here, and I could be sticking up for myself a bit more. But, I really don't want to mess relations with anyone over that unless it's my last option.

Transfer to another store. Look on ehr for jobs at the store. Ck out, the other store to see how things are done.
That way, you won't lose your pay. Don't tell them why you are transferring.

Talked to my GSTL, and she agrees it's pretty stupid that they led me up for a month saying yes just to deny it in the end...
If I transferred, wouldn't it be still a cashier-to-cashier transfer, though? Or would I be able to jump into another position? Perhaps if it was cashier-to-cashier and they were already satisfied with their cashier #'s at the new store, they'd let me move then. Really either way I go about doing this I'm going to be stuck on an "if" and probably more empty promises, outside of just completely looking for a non-Target job. Not like I don't have almost 2 years of experience now to help with that.

For now, I think I'm gonna just lower my hours (I'm currently taking 3 college classes as well as one day a week of tutoring while there as a mini-side-job) from 30 to 20, and see how it helps my stress levels. I'll wait it out for summer to see if HR actually follows up or not (doubtful) and go from there. Thanks for the input.

The only problem with a transfer is your store has to approve it. If they're upset they can deny your request.

It's more of a personal thing with my ETL-GE than anything else - he likes to just hang around the lanes and wait for us to slip up and not ask a guest, then pull us aside to talk about it. Doing his job I know but after almost 2 years of trying to get cards, I've found 0 ways to get them consistently, and even when I DO, it's never enough for ETL-GE. He's gone on multiple occasions in the last 2 or 3 months of pulling me into his office with 0 warning beforehand (even to my GSTL) just to give me a huge long speech about how I'm consistently one of the lowest card-getters up front. The way he phrased certain things in his last speech in late February was really harsh for no reason (GSTL was also there and she later said she was surprised I didn't say anything back to him, apparently I looked that upset), and if he thinks that's any way to run a team and motivate us to do his bidding, he's mistaken...almost no one likes him in the store, even non-cashiers hate when he's LOD.

I decided after that, that I was done trying to please him and his ridiculous standards, and started trying to move to the floor instead. All of our salesfloor TL's and ETL-SF are awesome and I get along much better with them, and whenever I pick up a shift there, their expectations are much more clear and doable, and I challenge myself to do better than that because I actually respect them as TL's. Hardlines keeps me much more energized and the always-moving aspect of it is perfect for me, not standing in one place for 8 hours asking for people's money. And, at least if I'm doing zoning every night, I can actually control how much I get done (to a certain degree, guest interruptions and whatnot) instead of having it be a game of chance hoping for someone to say "yes" to a red card.

With how unlikely it is at this point that the switch will happen, I'm starting to get more "ok" with the idea of just leaving Target for another job, but I'm not quite at the point to actually act on that yet.

It'd be difficult, at my store at least, to transfer work centers if you're not performing well in your current one. A lot of people have asked to switch to my
team, especially from the front because they say they think it's easy but it's a lot of work for me if the other people aren't self motivated and sufficient.

It's going to depend on how your store looks at stuff like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back