Archived "Tuck Your Shirt In"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The month before our store opened our etl-hr sat down with us at the front lanes and explained about the shirt tucking. She said that guys had to have their shirts tucked in but for girls it depended upon the style. There were some styles that just didn't look right tucked in. Then one time we had a special promotional t-shirt to promote one of the race car drivers and she said that shirt was not to be tucked in. And the way the design was on it it wouldn't have looked right tucked in.

Tucking in a shirt is not an unreasonable request.
When they ask just tell start to walk away if they ask say you have to go to the bathroom to do it. Unless they want people/guests to see me undo my belt and stick my hands down my pants.

Anyways t-shirts aren't designed to be tucked in especially shirts that are properly fitted. Most shirts aren't meant to be tucked in, generally only button downs. Properly fitted polos aren't really meant to be tucked in and t-shirts especially, you'd have to buy them long to even consider so. If you buy them long it tends to also be wide, if you're not wide you have to use a military tuck or bring it in for it to look right.

Plus if girls are exempt for style you should just point out flat bottom hem shirts aren't meant to be tucked in, although some can be. Generally only button downs have tails for tucking in. Granted some styles of flat bottom hem shirts "work" tucked but the rule always is that if you tuck your shirt in you need a belt. Without a belt you really should never tuck it in.

Last edited:
Even as a TL I never had to tuck my shirt in. The only one's that did were the ETL's and the STL. He sounds like he may be on some kind of power trip. If enough people complain to HR I bet he will let the tucking your shirt in idea go. Also yeah I hate the "girls are the exception" thing myself. If he said that to me I'd probably say "Sorry I was born with a dick. My parents didn't give me a choice."

Even as a TL I never had to tuck my shirt in. The only one's that did were the ETL's and the STL. He sounds like he may be on some kind of power trip. If enough people complain to HR I bet he will let the tucking your shirt in idea go. Also yeah I hate the "girls are the exception" thing myself. If he said that to me I'd probably say "Sorry I was born with a dick. My parents didn't give me a choice."
Loki, dont ever leave us!

It might be amusing to see how many people you can get together to do 'shirt tuckings' every 10 minutes or so.
Everybody would stop working at the same time and conspicuously adjust their shirt making sure it was properly tucked in.
Do that for a week or so and I think that the new TL might suddenly find there are much more important subjects to worry about.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is you're backroom...how often are guests going to see you? I can understand if you're on the floor all day, but it's called backroom for a reason.

See, I am super skinny, so I wear smalls / mediums w/ skinny khakis'. I'd love to see them try to tell me to tuck my shirt in... there's literally nothing to tuck in.

There's so much more shit to worry about as a backroom TM than tucking your damn shirt in. As much as I disliked my TL when I was in the backroom I'm glad they didn't try to enforce dumb shit like that while ignoring the fact that the place was going up in flames with 50 vehicles of backstock, 2 hour CAFs and 10 flexible fulfillments in the gun.

I started tucking my shirt in, but only because I like being able to put my walkie/holster on my belt instead of sagging from my pockets...

But demanding one or the other be silly yo

My store... so many different STLs, ETLs over the past 6 years... none have EVER asked for anyone to tuck in their shirt. Now, if you are an ETL, you have to... apparently. But I've seen SrTLs never tuck in either.

Id be a little uncomfortable not because of a gut just because I do not wear my shirts tucked in. But I would just do it. Although your deal with him was a good idea but you should have taken that road before you said write me up.

It's ridiculous, but by the same token probably not worth getting upset over. Just do it when you're told to and move on with your life, right?

I am grown unless you are buying my clothes you don't get a say in how I fucking wear them.. :)

Learn to see a bad manager on a power trip when you see it..

I tuck my shirt in anyway but it's really not too ridiculous of a request. I'd just do it and wait for something that you could beat him on later. Eventually they'll be something that comes up that ur gonna want to take to HR or the STL and be in the right but this ain't it

If it's comfortable for you to tuck - do so. It actually does look better.

If not, untuck away and rock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back