Archived ugh...another guest told on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to my locker, get pants, go to bathroom change, drop clothes back off in locker (or take them with me), find my items, wait in line, pay, go to locker to put away stuff and grab my work pants, go to bathroom to change, drop clothes back off in locker...all in 15 minutes or less? No.

i mean to wear the pants as part of the uniform , officially pants cant be any solid color

Officially they can be any solid color. But at my store, they will let new people get away with wearing non-khaki pants once (as in they won't be sent home). But that day, they are told that this is a khaki only store.

Depends on the state, they can't get away with that in California.

you mean it is ok in california ?

i mean to wear the pants as part of the uniform , officially pants cant be any solid color

Officially they can be any solid color. But at my store, they will let new people get away with wearing non-khaki pants once (as in they won't be sent home). But that day, they are told that this is a khaki only store.

Depends on the state, they can't get away with that in California.

you mean it is ok in california ?
As I understand it, if they force you to wear a uniform in California they have to pay for it as well.

http://www.callaborlaw.com/entry/employee-uniforms

EDIT: Under FLSA an employer can make you pay for uniforms only if you still earn more than minimum wage. It's kinda confusing, but basically if you earn minimum wage they can't force you to pay for a uniform, if you make more than that they can dock your pay to minimum wage to pay for the uniform if they provide it. This is less strict than in California where if the uniform is a condition of employment they must provide and maintain it.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

Last edited:
State law in California says any color other than black or navy blue can't be required (strongly suggested is okay) by a company unless they want to pay for it.

Years ago, 2004 or 2005 I worked at a target in California. The back room team and I were required to wear black pants as part of our uniform. Now that I live in a different state, I still wear black pants. Especially on the busy days like Black Thursday and Black Friday

I had that happen to me the other day an I got yanked into the office. I was on the way to my break ( you know how you have to go at certain times when you are the operator) so I said sorry sir I am on my way to lunch but if you push that call button and walked away came back from my break and the TL said can I see you in my office ( I knew it wasn't good) he said a guest said you were rude to him and wouldn't help him seriously it would of taken you two minutes to help the guest and I said I was on my way to lunch and didn't want to go into violation and he said I am sure you wouldn't of gone into violation and again it would of taken you two minutes to help the guest this looks really bad we have to vibe with the guests ( I am so tired of that word) he told me he was have me sign something before I left ( he never did) so thank god it didn't go into my file but still it was a verbal coaching which wasn't the greatest. I guess I should of helped the guest but I was worried about getting a a meal violation....

When I worked at best buy (ha, in CA) walmart was in our same plaza.... I'd stop there after work to pick up a few things. I'd get asked for help because I had a blue shirt on.

I'd look at them, look at the best buy patch on my shirt and point. Then tell them where to find it because they didn't seem to notice it said best buy instead of Walmart.

And ya, I get asked for help wherever I go.

And I had a major issue with a guest once on my way to clock out. Even got coached about it, and still want to know which TM lied about what happened (because they could not have heard me talking to the guest in question, and the tapes would have backed it up, so don't go saying you heard me tell someone I was a manager - why the hell would anyone pretend to be one of those?!?!?!)

What you did was 50/50 correct. You request another TM to help them. But you can't say I am not working right now.

Yes you can get coached for telling a guest you are on your break. If you can easily point them to an area, you need to do that. But if its an specific question or search for an item. Then you need to say let me get someone that can help you.

Holiday times...always take your name tag off and wear a non-red shirt/jacket.

Guests don't know what Target's policies are... they just see a TM. If you don't want to help a guest because you are "on break," then don't be out there shopping (in uniform) and take your breaks in the Break Room.

Problem solved!

dance-gif-snoopy-happy-animated-image-49277.gif

This person doesn't read previous posts.

What you did was 50/50 correct. You request another TM to help them. But you can't say I am not working right now.

Yes you can get coached for telling a guest you are on your break. If you can easily point them to an area, you need to do that. But if its an specific question or search for an item. Then you need to say let me get someone that can help you.

Holiday times...always take your name tag off and wear a non-red shirt/jacket.

Against state law to work on your break/lunch and telling a guest where something is working. Bring me that coaching and see how far you get. The one ETL that pulled what you are pulling had to come to each one of us and apologize for saying exactly what you said. Cause he was and you are flat wrong.

I always bring an oversized sweater that is bright and not red. I leave my target gear in the fitting room and swap things there before I go on break or lunch.

Thus guest wanted a specific item and she would have been shown it. She saw another team member right near me and heard me ask her to assist the guest. When I'm on the clock, I'll bend over backwards for guests, but not entitled ones on my personal time.

I used my biking, blue thermal shirt with a picture of the president and MLK on it when I was shopping but still got stopped.

Like I said if they wanted me to point to something I would, otherwise I would tell them I was not working and see if there was someone around who could help.
After a while I put my headphones in and did my best to just ignore them.

I always bring an oversized sweater that is bright and not red. I leave my target gear in the fitting room and swap things there before I go on break or lunch.

Thus guest wanted a specific item and she would have been shown it. She saw another team member right near me and heard me ask her to assist the guest. When I'm on the clock, I'll bend over backwards for guests, but not entitled ones on my personal time.
Then you did what was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back