Unfairly Terminated

hi I worked at target store 2326 and I was fired yesterday for cussing in the opu room. Here’s what happened, one of my coworkers (the sweetest person on the planet) was trying to work with an awful guest. The guest had been very rude towards my coworker and I went to the opu room so I wouldn’t get angry at the guest. When I got to the opu room I let out some anger by muttering a few not so nice words(I know I shouldn’t have but I didn’t want to be rude to the guest and I needed to get it out of my system) unfortunately my boss heard me (I didn’t know she was in the room or else I would’ve kept my mouth shut) and I got fired. I believe I was terminated unfairly because I have heard/seen other team members swear at and around my boss, yet they weren’t fired. There also is not a rule about cussing and I wasn’t being rude to a guest. I am a good worker and all of my I guess now ex coworkers agree that I shouldn’t have been fired. I really needed this job and I had almost gotten out of the probation period (I was literally 2 days away) my team members would agree that I was a good team member and a valuable member of the target workforce. Is there any way for me to get my job back??

Thanks

hi I worked at target store 2326 and I was fired yesterday for cussing in the opu room. Here’s what happened, one of my coworkers (the sweetest person on the planet) was trying to work with an awful guest. The guest had been very rude towards my coworker and I went to the opu room so I wouldn’t get angry at the guest. When I got to the opu room I let out some anger by muttering a few not so nice words(I know I shouldn’t have but I didn’t want to be rude to the guest and I needed to get it out of my system) unfortunately my boss heard me (I didn’t know she was in the room or else I would’ve kept my mouth shut) and I got fired. I believe I was terminated unfairly because I have heard/seen other team members swear at and around my boss, yet they weren’t fired. There also is not a rule about cussing and I wasn’t being rude to a guest. I am a good worker and all of my I guess now ex coworkers agree that I shouldn’t have been fired. I really needed this job and I had almost gotten out of the probation period (I was literally 2 days away) my team members would agree that I was a good team member and a valuable member of the target workforce. Is there any way for me to get my job back??

Thanks

No offense, but the whole "it's not in the rule book" so it must be fine is a lame excuse. If a team member intentionally drove a wave into a gondola and says well it's not in a rule book, does that make it ok? Your creating a hostile work environment and SD have the right to terminate you unfortunately. Doesn't matter if your a good employee or not, even the hardest worker get fired. I don't think it's just the cussing in general that got you fired, but the fact that it was regarding a guest.

Last edited:
If there was one thing I learned from jobs like these...
It's better to keep cool and try to defuse the situation only when it's needed, otherwise just let your shift leaders know that an unruly customer is giving a coworker a hard time.
They'll take care of it, it's part of there job. Don't step in if you feel like your emotions will get the best of you

Not for nothing but it sounds like they did you a favor. And from my experience, and I know asants, HR and SD don't let people come back when they have "said derogatory things" regardless of the situation they were said.
I hope you find better employment.

Sounds like leadership wanted you gone. Not saying they were right or wrong, but that's what is done when they want you out during probation. Was your attendance perfect? Any reasons or coachings you can think of?

Hard pill to swallow and it's tough finding good work for decent pay. Good luck.

Probably not a way to get your job back, but you could possibly think about what you did, come up with a good apology, and call your leader and ask.

But before I did that I would really think about the last few months. Do you call out frequently, show up late or leave early? Argue with coworkers or leaders? Are your metrics excellent? Do you truly believe you are an excellent (not just good) employee? Because to get fired like this either means you made a major judgement mistake, or the leaders had several other issues with your performance and this was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Also a thought, if your choice words included any slurs that could be unlawful discrimination, that would be enough for most leaders to give you the boot. Examples like using the n word or homophobic slurs.

Back