Archived "Unfortunate" conversation with my ETL, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
The other night I was confronted by my ETL in regards to my job performance. After four months she comes to me and says that I am not meeting expectations. I told her that I felt that I don't have the same amount of time to complete my area as others do. It also seemed like she was not as concerned as I was about things being set correctly *the first time*.

Example:

Me: The shirts on this table were not correctly set last week.
ETL: Blah blah blah flexed blah blah blah.
Me: No, it was an entire stack in size order on the wrong side of the table.
ETL: Blah blah guest blah blah.
Me: I don't think it was a guest who moved an entire stack of new DPCI shirts and put them in the wrong spot on a recently set table.
ETL: Grumble....

Or....

Me: I reset these Denizen tables a couple of weeks ago and it looks like nobody else cares about it.
ETL: Blah blah part of the zone blah blah
Me: No, when whoever set *THAT* table (points to Wrangler table behind us) just threw the Denizen product that was on it on the remaining tables.
ETL: Blah blah guests did it blah blah
Me: I know what guests do, and this is not their work.

Or...

*While working in Baby Basics/Infant Hardlines/Whatever you call it... the Diaper aisle and waiting about 15 minutes for a new PDA battery

Me: These are NOP.
ETL: Blah blah *scans with PDA* they aren't discontinued.
Me: Yes, that's why I needed the battery... so I could scan them and figure out where they go. All I know is they don't go here.
ETL: Flex them in.
Me: You want me to flex in a higher price point item, unsigned, into an already crowded aisle? (My state can get real *****y about price accuracy).
ETL: Blah blah you need to finish your zone.
Me: This aisle has not been zoned at night during any shift I've worked in the past month. In fact, it looks like the only people that have been in here are guests, backroom, and flow.
ETL: Yes, blah blah blah you're taking too long.
Me: I'm sorry that I'm trying to do a good job but if you want it done right things have to go in the right spot.

Anyway, here is the "unfortunate" part:

I was a seasonal hire who didn't find out he was working in softlines until his first day. I needed the job, so I couldn't turn it down. I was also told that I would be trained in hardlines by the ETL that hired me. He has since moved away and transferred. I suck at folding, so it takes me longer to do it. There are days where I bring stuff back to the fitting room at the end of the night because I didn't have a chance to re-hang the 50+ clearance items that were thrown on the floor throughout the day.

To paraphrase my ETL to the idea of me changing workcenters:

You aren't doing a good job in the workcenter that you don't want to work in/don't have the experience working in/are not goot at the task. Unfortunately, we can't move you to a new workcenter that you might actually want to work in/have the experience working in/good at the tasks until you show improvement in the job that you're probably not going to get any better at.

And before you say "talk to your ETL-HR or STL", I have tried that already. They are not helpful.

Welcome to Target. Apply elsewhere in this time, you'll probably get a better (and better paying) job.

I was faced with your same dilemma, I wanted to transfer but they made excuses on why i couldn't.

Don't maintain loyalty to a company who shows no proper regard for your hard work.

It sounds like you have to give up caring about doing the job right and only do the job they tell you to do.
Which sucks because it will come back to bite everybody in the long run but they don't really care as long as they are green right now.

Wish I had some better advice.

Last edited:
Caring if things are done right is no longer important at Target. Just fake it like everybody else. So sad how far this company has fallen.

If you haven't had a CA there's no reason why you can't leave your workcenter if there are hours elsewhere. Again, I can see your ETL's point. You're not performing because you don't want to be there. I can tell this because you explained why you were not happy there. What if you don't like the expectations if hardlines? Why would they move you if you have poor performance because you don't like your workcenter?

Half ass it to get by. All they care about now is speed and saying it's done. Until there's a new focus and then go with that and make it your top priority.

If you haven't had a CA there's no reason why you can't leave your workcenter if there are hours elsewhere. Again, I can see your ETL's point. You're not performing because you don't want to be there. I can tell this because you explained why you were not happy there. What if you don't like the expectations if hardlines? Why would they move you if you have poor performance because you don't like your workcenter?

Actually the etls of both workcenters need to approve the transfer regardless. Even if there is no cca. Give the guy some slack, i dont know any guys who like softlines lol.

Give the guy some slack, i dont know any guys who like softlines lol.

THAAAAAANK YOU......... Luckily I don't have friends that will come into Target and laugh at me when I do infants. :dash3:

Actually the etls of both workcenters need to approve the transfer regardless. Even if there is no cca. Give the guy some slack, i dont know any guys who like softlines lol.

Our new SrTL for softlines is a guy. We'll see how this goes.

One of our New-in-role Softlines TLs was a guy too, don't think he was too enthused about it, but he makes the most out of it i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back