Answered Unloading Truck in 2 hours?!

I’m sure this is a topic that has been posted several times, but I need to ask anyway...
how is it possible to unload a 2,000 piece + truck with 6 people in two hours? Yes, our team could go a bit faster. The repacks seem to slow us down, as I’m sure they do for anyone. But can everyone please give me some suggestions and ideas to help “fine tune” our team? Thanks in advance!

We have some team members from over 4 years ago. One is on the truck team, which he did back then too. He said that they had twice as many people, used flats more, not many repacks. So, the new rules since then have changed that.

I’m sure this is a topic that has been posted several times, but I need to ask anyway...
how is it possible to unload a 2,000 piece + truck with 6 people in two hours? Yes, our team could go a bit faster. The repacks seem to slow us down, as I’m sure they do for anyone. But can everyone please give me some suggestions and ideas to help “fine tune” our team? Thanks in advance!
First of all you already have more tm on the line then you supposed too: I just did a 2400 and a 2300 and finished before we went to lunch ( I’m in a 5th state) . In what way does the repacks slows you down ? All you supposed to sort is combos stock zone 4 and cosmetics . I always print the A&A sort time and if it’s less than 16h I take one of the a&a person and have it do cosmetics breakout as it comes of the truck .Everything else should go straight on the vehicle . I have 2 people on the back , 3 on the front . The one on the back of the line sorts combos , the second person on the back sorts 4. And the person in market on the line takes the Softlines off the skate .

We have some team members from over 4 years ago. One is on the truck team, which he did back then too. He said that they had twice as many people, used flats more, not many repacks. So, the new rules since then have changed that.
But back then you could use pallets . Now not anymore . However I do use pallets for plastics and roll it out to the floor since is the only custom block that you don’t separate by aisle .

Last edited:
So I've only been with Target for about a month now, but I've been in 3 different stores for training.
I had to train on truck in all 3, and the most efficient set up was as follows:
1 thrower in the truck, 2 sorters front of line, 2 sorters back of line, 2 people sorting repacks, one on each side.
The two sorters on each side basically cut their sides in half, so say front of line was 1-55, sorter #1 would only pull boxes located on carts 1-30 and send the rest down the line. This minimized movement and kept everyone out of each other's way.
The two repack sorters had setups just outside the truck and pulled boxes before they even touched the line, so all sorters saw were boxes ready to be stacked. Once a box was full, call it out and send it down.
This store started unloading at about 4:30am on an average day, and usually had people in the store available to pull uboats and flats away from the line and replace them once they were at capacity so sorters didn't have to leave the line. This store was also the only one I have been in so far that utilized a staging area near the line instead of sending full vehicles into light duty or right out on the floor. Again, just minimizing movement made a huge difference.
Also, I feel like this should go without saying, but the most efficient way (in my opinion) is to follow custom blocks to a T. Had a sorter that had been with Target for 20 something years tell me that she ignored the numbered system, and the set up was "all in her head", which made my 1st truck in a new store hell. Utilizing custom blocks also helps less experienced sorters (like myself) quickly adapt to Target's system and pull their weight, as long as they can read, immediately.
Again, I'm pretty much brand new to all this, but I worked three trucks at this store, all around 2000 pieces, and this was by far the most efficient set up in any of the stores I've been to. Starting unload at 4:30 had us consistently done by 6:30-6:45. The other stores had been clocking closer to 3-3.5 hours for unload on that size truck.
Let me know if you have any more questions about that set up, hope this helps!

So I've only been with Target for about a month now, but I've been in 3 different stores for training.
1 thrower in the truck, 2 sorters front of line, 2 sorters back of line, 2 people sorting repacks, one on each side.
The two sorters on each side basically cut their sides in half, so say front of line was 1-55, sorter #1 would only pull boxes located on carts 1-30 and send the rest down the line. This minimized movement and kept everyone out of each other's way.
The two repack sorters had setups just outside the truck and pulled boxes before they even touched the line, so all sorters saw were boxes ready to be stacked. Once a box was full, call it out and send it down.
This store started unloading at about 4:30am on an average day, and usually had people in the store available to pull uboats and flats away from the line and replace them once they were at capacity so sorters didn't have to leave the line. This store was also the only one I have been in so far that utilized a staging area near the line instead of sending full vehicles into light duty or right out on the floor. Again, just minimizing movement made a huge difference.
Also, I feel like this should go without saying, but the most efficient way (in my opinion) is to follow custom blocks to a T. Had a sorter that had been with Target for 20 something years tell me that she ignored the numbered system, and the set up was "all in her head", which made my 1st truck in a new store hell. Utilizing custom blocks also helps less experienced sorters (like myself) quickly adapt to Target's system and pull their weight, as long as they can read, immediately.
Again, I'm pretty much brand new to all this, but I worked three trucks at this store, all around 2000 pieces, and this was by far the most efficient set up in any of the stores I've been to. Starting unload at 4:30 had us consistently done by 6:30-6:45. The other stores had been clocking closer to 3-3.5 hours for unload on that size truck.
You are not fallowing the guide . To many sorters to begin with . And custom blocks should always be fallowed . My first person on th back of the line takes care of 2 bays on her own that’s 8 custom blocks herself , she takes the stock zone 3 repacks ( goes on the assign custom block)and zone 4 which she sorts as it moves on the line and we never get backed up . The second person again has 8 custom blocks on her side and sorts combos . That’s all you have to sort .

Last edited:
You are not fallowing the guide . To many sorters to begin with . And custom blocks should always be fallowed . My first person on th back of the line takes care of 2 bays on her own that’s 8 custom blocks herself , she takes the stock zone 3 repacks ( is high goes on the assign custom block)and zone 4 which she sorts as it moves on the line and we never get backed up . The second person again has 8 custom blocks on her side and sorts combos . That’s all you have to sort .
Unfortunately, none of the three stores I've been in have seemed to follow the exact way Target wants to run the unload. That sounds super efficient as well, and I hope I can learn the ACTUAL way in my store.
My home store, to my disappointment, is the one that doesn't properly utilize the custom blocks because of a senior sorter claiming to know better, and today took close to four hours to unload a 1,900 piece truck.
Coming from another big box store that was an absolute mess with their freight process, it was a breath of fresh air seeing Target's system, and then a swift punch in the gut when I finally get to my home store and find that the entire freight team is against the system and takes almost twice the time they should take, lol.
But thank you for the info!

Unfortunately, none of the three stores I've been in have seemed to follow the exact way Target wants to run the unload. That sounds super efficient as well, and I hope I can learn the ACTUAL way in my store.
My home store, to my disappointment, is the one that doesn't properly utilize the custom blocks because of a senior sorter claiming to know better, and today took close to four hours to unload a 1,900 piece truck.
Coming from another big box store that was an absolute mess with their freight process, it was a breath of fresh air seeing Target's system, and then a swift punch in the gut when I finally get to my home store and find that the entire freight team is against the system and takes almost twice the time they should take, lol.
But thank you for the info!
Change it . And let them know this is how things needs to be you gonna have push back some might quit but it is what it is . And if people quit you start fresh the right way with the new team members . I’m sure that the guide for unload is the same for small format or a Tiple A store . I take anywhere between 12-14 trucks a week , always done in 4 and half hours top. All my unloaders need to fallow suit after my main unloader which he is a beast I’m not gonna lie . I do pump him with monster drinks right before lol.

we have 2 tm's each side of the line and 1 tm on the corner and 1 thrower for a total of 6 tm's on truck unload. Our TL helps where needed either on the line or in truck. The repacks come in presorted so we no longer have to sort just throw on correct uboat. A 2000 piece truck takes about 2 hours. We work on the theory of 500 cases every 1/2 hour. Our etl is pleased with the results.

Change it . And let them know this is how things needs to be you gonna have push back some might quit but it is what it is . And if people quit you start fresh the right way with the new team members . I’m sure that the guide for unload is the same for small format or a Tiple A store . I take anywhere between 12-14 trucks a week , always done in 4 and half hours top. All my unloaders need to fallow suit after my main unloader which he is a beast I’m not gonna lie . I do pump him with monster drinks right before lol.
Lmao good idea😂
But yeah, I'm gonna be the secondary TL to do truck, so only the 2 days a week our TL primarily responsible for truck has off, so I'll definitely be teaming with him to fix the process that's in place. This is my first week in my home store so I'm trying not to come in too hot, but after the last two days, I don't think I can deal with that level of productivity and not say something.
Thanks again!

we have 2 tm's each side of the line and 1 tm on the corner and 1 thrower for a total of 6 tm's on truck unload. Our TL helps where needed either on the line or in truck. The repacks come in presorted so we no longer have to sort just throw on correct uboat. A 2000 piece truck takes about 2 hours. We work on the theory of 500 cases every 1/2 hour. Our etl is pleased with the results.
What state you live in that you get all your repacks pre-sorted ?

so I'm trying not to come in too hot, but after the last two days, I don't think I can deal with that level of productivity and not say something.
I was in the store for 1 day only and the unload took almost 8 hours 3000 and 2800 and I was like hell no . Next day I said huddle up we are not milking the payroll today we will be done by 8. I have to say tho all the feedback from my team during review time was “ I was about to say fuck it because you ( me) were snapping fingers and hurrying everyone up , however we like that everyone gets to work more on the line. It takes time and like I said you will lose team members , I did but the new ones I got I trained them the right way and they are keepers.

First of all you already have more tm on the line then you supposed too: I just did a 2400 and a 2300 and finished before we went to lunch ( I’m in a 5th state) . In what way does the repacks slows you down ? All you supposed to sort is combos stock zone 4 and cosmetics . I always print the A&A sort time and if it’s less than 16h I take one of the a&a person and have it do cosmetics breakout as it comes of the truck .Everything else should go straight on the vehicle . I have 2 people on the back , 3 on the front . The one on the back of the line sorts combos , the second person on the back sorts 4. And the person in market on the line takes the Softlines off the skate .

We have one in the truck, one pushing, pulling paper and plastics. Then two in front (paper, pets, chem and the other housewares, furniture, etc) They sort #4 repacks.
Then two in the back, (I do personal care, grocery, and the other person does sport, seasonal, bullseye, cosmetic repacks, etc). Both he and I sort the #31(?) repacks.
So there’s four of us on the line. You have five on the line? What area do you have an extra person in? Your time is very impressive. Any thoughts on maybe something we could do differently? Today we had a 2,100 piece truck that took us three hours without a break.

I was in the store for 1 day only and the unload took almost 8 hours 3000 and 2800 and I was like hell no . Next day I said huddle up we are not milking the payroll today we will be done by 8. I have to say tho all the feedback from my team during review time was “ I was about to say fuck it because you ( me) were snapping fingers and hurrying everyone up , however we like that everyone gets to work more on the line. It takes time and like I said you will lose team members , I did but the new ones I got I trained them the right way and they are keepers.
Well done! But, what is “the right way”? Personally, my training hasn’t been very “detailed”. It’s a lot of “hurry up” but not as much instruction in how to shave time off, streamline or make things run smoother. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Lmao good idea😂
But yeah, I'm gonna be the secondary TL to do truck, so only the 2 days a week our TL primarily responsible for truck has off, so I'll definitely be teaming with him to fix the process that's in place. This is my first week in my home store so I'm trying not to come in too hot, but after the last two days, I don't think I can deal with that level of productivity and not say something.
Thanks again!

We are a bit frustrated. And we want to know how to do this better.I’m not a TL,and have only been on the truck the past four months or so. I started in September but was put in A&A breakdown for a few months. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

one pushing, pulling paper and plastics.
That’s your 5th right there . How big is your line meaning how many bays? The first person on the back of the line does transition, cosm, baby furniture , furniture, home decor , h&h , beds, bath , small appliances and kitchen as well as she is the one sorting the stock zone 4 . The next person on the back of the line has , stat, office, seasonal, mini sea, dólar spot, sprt and all toys and she is the one sorting all the combos. Front of the line first person has electronics, plastic , paper , diaper , baby food , baby repacks ( he sorts the 16) , next person on the front litter , pet food , chem 1 chem2 chem 3 , otc, the third person has hbo1 , hbo2 and all market .
And all the Pipo is usually the unloader or myself that gets them out and the we call it to come get it. It’s all about your line to have your speed . Your unloader can only go as fast as your line goes . Look at your custom blocks see how you can break it down more to make it easier for the sorter and also for the dbo.

We are a bit frustrated. And we want to know how to do this better.I’m not a TL,and have only been on the truck the past four months or so. I started in September but was put in A&A breakdown for a few months. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Are you still on breakout ?

I LOVE THIS!! Thank you, this info just might help us out! 👏👏👏

Thank you for this. We have four people on the line, one pushing and one in the truck throwing. We feel that there are a lot of combo repacks to sort and that they slow us down. But it sounds like we have the same amount that you do. I just want to try to figure out what we can do to help speed things up and make it flow better. Today we had a 2100 piece truck that took us three hours without a break. Hearing your responses is making me realize that a two hour truck IS possible,... so we just need to figure out how to make that possible. Your responses are very helpful, thank you and please keep them coming.

That’s your 5th right there . How big is your line meaning how many bays? The first person on the back of the line does transition, cosm, baby furniture , furniture, home decor , h&h , beds, bath , small appliances and kitchen as well as she is the one sorting the stock zone 4 . The next person on the back of the line has , stat, office, seasonal, mini sea, dólar spot, sprt and all toys and she is the one sorting all the combos. Front of the line first person has electronics, plastic , paper , diaper , baby food , baby repacks ( he sorts the 16) , next person on the front litter , pet food , chem 1 chem2 chem 3 , otc, the third person has hbo1 , hbo2 and all market .
And all the Pipo is usually the unloader or myself that gets them out and the we call it to come get it. It’s all about your line to have your speed . Your unloader can only go as fast as your line goes . Look at your custom blocks see how you can break it down more to make it easier for the sorter and also for the dbo.
Our bays sound about the same size as yours, eight bays total (four on each side). The setup between your store and ours seems a bit different though.

... 12 to 14 trucks a week?! Yikes, you must be at a Super Target! Could I possibly pick your brain on your method a bit more? I really wish I could see a video of how your truck team is run and you briefly explaining the setup and what each person’s responsibilities are. It might be helpful!

Back