Archived Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAhole

Former GSA
So, as a lot of you know I was fired almost a month ago. You guys have all been so supportive of me, and I wish I could tell you in words how much it has meant to me. I couldn't eat, I didn't want to leave my bed...but literally the only thing that kept me going was this place and the care and support I got, and I am forever grateful. I said I would keep you guys updated, so here it is.

I've been to several job interviews. The first was Petsmart, and they offered me a part-time cashier/pet care position at only 25 cents less than what I was getting paid at Target. The manager who interviewed me had also worked at Target as a TL for 15 years, some of that as a GSTL. He was great and he kept sympathizing with me for having to work at Target. However, after I got hired, I was never given a start date. To be totally honest, I think I failed the drug test because I had indulged in some ganja a couple weeks prior.

Then, I interviewed for an assistant manager position at Firehouse Subs. The manager wanted me to come in for a "test run" and paid me in a sandwich. Honestly, I think that has to be illegal as fuck on their part but I did it anyway (and it was so worth the sandwich). I've been in management in fast food before, so I thought this would be alright...but all it did was remind me how much I hate the fuck out of food service and I'd rather get screamed at by raging psychopath couponers any day than spend my days making sandwiches. It was just so unfulfilling. Also, they were only offering 8.00-8.50 per hour. I was told I would be contacted on Monday and they'd let me know if I got the job or not, since I was in the running with two other people. They never contacted me and I'm glad.

Then, I had an interview at Gymboree, a kids' clothing store in the mall. It went super well. The manager is an amazing woman and wants to hire me as a Sales Lead, which is a keyholder position. I agreed and was totally excited, and she is setting me up with a second interview with the district manager. The downsides though are that it is only a part time job and although we didn't discuss pay, I looked on Glassdoor and the pay for that position in my area only averages 8-something.

But yesterday, I got a call from Dollar General, and they wanted me to come in and interview for an Assistant Manager position. I went in today and was hired on the spot. I just have to complete my paperwork and do a drug test (I think I'm in the clear now). They are not offering much, it's a dollar less than what I got paid as a GSA at Target (got 10.50 there, they are offering 9.50 here), but I think it'll look good on a resume and I can move on to something greater a little later. It's also a full time position, unlike the others that were offering part time. Oh, and it's walking distance from my house.

So, that's that, hoping nothing goes wrong!

Congratulations for landing on your feet.
I was pretty sure you'd be okay.

Kick some ass and take names.
Drop by and let us know how things are going.

Congrats on DG. A word of advice:

Corporate there can be a pain in the ass, just like spots. Had some family in management at DG and you wouldn't believe some of the ridicule they had to go through..Though ASANTS.

Wow $10.50 as a GSA? I was only Making $8.70ish o_O That's not half bad.

I think I failed the drug test because I had indulged in some ganja a couple weeks prior.
Happens.

I just have to complete my paperwork and do a drug test (I think I'm in the clear now).
Go to the Sauna and stay in there a good 10 minutes and take a cold shower after, will help get the THC out of your system if you still have any.

Thank you guys. All of your support really means a lot to me. TBH, I couldn't have gotten through this and come out where I wanted to be without you guys.

Wow $10.50 as a GSA? I was only Making $8.70ish o_O That's not half bad.

Happens.

Go to the Sauna and stay in there a good 10 minutes and take a cold shower after, will help get the THC out of your system if you still have any.

Man, and I thought 10.50 wasn't worth it. Kudos to you for dealing with that for only 8 and some change. That's pretty amazing.

And if at the very least, if I can't go to the sauna, I'll take a super hot shower. Normally drinking a lot of water and then taking a B-vitamin or drinking an energy drink (for color so it doesn't look diluted) has worked for me in the past, but I guess it didn't work this time (assuming I did fail...I was never actually told I did but that's just the conclusion I came to). But I'll definitely try to take that extra measure, because I know this job is what I want right now.

Congrats on DG. A word of advice:

Corporate there can be a pain in the ass, just like spots. Had some family in management at DG and you wouldn't believe some of the ridicule they had to go through..Though ASANTS.
Thanks. I have actually been reading a lot of the reviews on Glassdoor and that kinda seems like a theme. However, I don't expect anything great as far as corporate goes in a retail job. I'm prepared for a shitstorm...I mean I did work at Target :p but honestly Target was not the worst corporation I've ever worked for. There was another one that was just all kinds of corrupt and fucked up, but I was able to handle it...barely sometimes, but I did.

So, I started the Assistant Store Manager job at Dollar General today...

Holy fuck it was a lot of info. My brain literally hurts. The best part is I have Thursday and Friday left to train, and then I'M ON MY OWN. Closing the store, by myself, after 3 days of training. If that's not some Target shit right there...

I remember when I went to do my paperwork, the GM said that there were "5 of us." I thought she meant 5 assistant managers. No, she didn't. She meant 5 ASSOCIATES TOTAL o_O. It's just me flying solo. I think I can do it, but it's just so much to learn in so little time.

I hope I don't mess up too bad. I definitely screwed some things up today, but it's nothing I can't learn with a little time. I'm just concerned about how short of a timespan I have...I hope I actually absorbed some of the shit I was taught today.

I definitely had a panic attack today too...it's been a while since I've had one, but I pushed through it. I wasn't back to normal until several hours later though. I thought I was going to pass out at one point, but I didn't...it was just my nerves. It made me realize why I stayed at Target so long (until I was forced out) even though I hated it. I was just in my element there, and used to everything...it was the same old thing day after day and as stressful as it was, I was comfortable with it. Also, I've never walked into a job in a management role from day 1...any job I've had in a management/supervisory role I've always started from the very bottom and worked my way up, so I feel a lot of extra pressure right now.

With all that said, I enjoy a challenge and I know I can do this...first days are always the worst.

I go back on Thursday, I'll update again then.

Congrats on the new job! It's the first day, so don't feel to bad if you're a bit overwhelmed. Sleep on it, and you'll feel better tomorrow. Make sure to ask plenty of questions during your next shift and kind of give yourself a dry run on your third shift. I am sure your time at Target has prepared you for this morw than you know! You got this! :)

Thank you :) that's good advice. I think I'll write a list of things I don't understand and bring that in next time so I can make sure I get straight answers. If I can even remember all the stuff I didn't get lol

Congratulations.
If you can handle Spot, you can knock this out of the park.
Kick ass and take names.

Remember your first day at Target? You survived that & more.
You'll catch your stride soon enough but don't be afraid to take advice from your associates; it shows you respect their experience & you want to be part of their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.