Archived Uplifting spirits at front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAhole

Former GSA
I'M a GSA, and I know being a cashier sucks. It's the same redundant crap all day, plus the stress of pushing redcards, dealing with rude guests, couponers, getting a crap wage and shorted on hours, and the list goes on. I have THE UTMOST respect for my cashiers who come in and give it their best on every shift. They definitely deserve to be rewarded for going above and beyond consistently...except I can never figure out a great way to do it. Generally we requisition them a drink or something stupid for redcards, and I've tried asking them what they would like but they always say a drink will be fine but they don't seem so enthusiastic about it. I'd like to do something better for them, because they really deserve it, yet I don't have any ideas, and when I try to ask them I think they're afraid to tell me what they'd really like or they really just cant think of anything reasonable either. What kinds of things do you do to reward your cashiers, and also, what do you do to motivate the ones who aren't so motivated?

I'M a GSA, and I know being a cashier sucks. It's the same redundant crap all day, plus the stress of pushing redcards, dealing with rude guests, couponers, getting a crap wage and shorted on hours, and the list goes on. I have THE UTMOST respect for my cashiers who come in and give it their best on every shift. They definitely deserve to be rewarded for going above and beyond consistently...except I can never figure out a great way to do it. Generally we requisition them a drink or something stupid for REDcards, and I've tried asking them what they would like but they always say a drink will be fine but they don't seem so enthusiastic about it. I'd like to do something better for them, because they really deserve it, yet I don't have any ideas, and when I try to ask them I think they're afraid to tell me what they'd really like or they really just cant think of anything reasonable either. What kinds of things do you do to reward your cashiers, and also, what do you do to motivate the ones who aren't so motivated?
This is something that I struggle with also. I want to do more for them but at the same time I want them to understand that promoting REDcards is apart of their job and that they shouldn't expect something EVERYTIME they get one. Sometimes we will req a DVD/CD for them or even get their lunch. On Tune in Tuesday the TM with the most REDcards for the day gets one of the New Releases. I guess you really just have to get to know your team. I have a few that have small children and whatever they get they are just gonna take home to them...so I tailor the recognition gift to each TM. That seems to work for some of them. One thing that I have noticed that really gets them motivated is recognition. But not the insincere hooting and hollering over the walkie...that irritate the guests and most of the cashiers don't even hear. I explained to the STL and the ETL-GE that the team likes genuine recognition. So I said he when you guys head into or out of TSC or whatever...stop by the cashiers register make a point of thanking them and recognizing them for their efforts. You'd be amazed at how far a little bit of appreciation from the leadership goes. I know that is not gonna work for everyone...

I don't think being a cashier sucks at all. No responsibility except getting redcards. If a guest annoys you - flip on a light. Coupons you aren't sure of - flip on a light.
Want to annoy gstl/GSA, flip on a light to ask when your break is - buy make sure they are on the other side of the front end when you do it.
Out of bags, flip on a light. Want to go to the bathroom, wander away and go without telling anyone.

There is no enthusiasm because it is a low paying job where you really don't have to do much of anything if you don't want to, except get redcards. If you are good at anything else, then 9 times out of 10 then other departments will scoop you up, unless you are way to good at getting redcards, then you will be stuck on the front end forever.
As far as enthusiasm, most don't care. They are there for the pay check, as small as that check may be. Well some are also there for the social aspect too.

I have no problem praising cashiers who do their jobs. I don't care for a reward system on a consistant basis because when we are told that we have to stop giving out rewards for a job that a cashier is supposed to be doing, then lack of trying starts to take over.
I hate the dangling carrot routine that target does.
A cashier should be expected to ask every guest if they want to save 5% by opening up a redcard. Each cashier Should try to set themself a daily goal and stick to it. The reward should show up monetarily in their review, but unfortunately target doesn't see it that way.

What do your cashiers do that goes above and beyond their job, because I have yet to see that as a whole. There are one or two at my store who do their job to the fullest everyday without being told, I give them more responsibilities. The others I usually have to beg to stay on their registers, keep their registers neat and engage with each guest.

I don't think being a cashier sucks at all. No responsibility except getting redcards. If a guest annoys you - flip on a light. Coupons you aren't sure of - flip on a light.
Want to annoy gstl/GSA, flip on a light to ask when your break is - buy make sure they are on the other side of the front end when you do it.
Out of bags, flip on a light. Want to go to the bathroom, wander away and go without telling anyone.

There is no enthusiasm because it is a low paying job where you really don't have to do much of anything if you don't want to, except get redcards. If you are good at anything else, then 9 times out of 10 then other departments will scoop you up, unless you are way to good at getting redcards, then you will be stuck on the front end forever.
As far as enthusiasm, most don't care. They are there for the pay check, as small as that check may be. Well some are also there for the social aspect too.

I have no problem praising cashiers who do their jobs. I don't care for a reward system on a consistant basis because when we are told that we have to stop giving out rewards for a job that a cashier is supposed to be doing, then lack of trying starts to take over.
I hate the dangling carrot routine that target does.
A cashier should be expected to ask every guest if they want to save 5% by opening up a redcard. Each cashier Should try to set themself a daily goal and stick to it. The reward should show up monetarily in their review, but unfortunately target doesn't see it that way.

What do your cashiers do that goes above and beyond their job, because I have yet to see that as a whole. There are one or two at my store who do their job to the fullest everyday without being told, I give them more responsibilities. The others I usually have to beg to stay on their registers, keep their registers neat and engage with each guest.

You reward those one or two with MORE responsibilities? Um, that's not a reward. That's more work. An odd way to reward someone when you say yourself that Target won't reward them monetarily in their review.

If my tl said, you do a great job, but I can't give you a raise and you probably won't get one at review time, but here are more responsibilities, I'd be like ... No thanks.

And that's why the cashiers who don't do anything but the bare minimum are stuck with the bare minimums and don't get extra hours or get to leave their registers to do anything else. Who wants them around if they can't even pull their own weight.

It would be nice to be recognized for the rest of the aspects of our jobs instead of only redcards. I can be fast, fun and friendly all day long and work my butt off for no recognition, but less motivated Suzy Q at the next register gets high fives, called out on the walkie, a free pop and the chance to get off the lanes because she was lucky and got a walk-up redcard. Part of the reason I cherish my service desk shifts and dread my cashier ones.

Last edited:
My spirits would be uplifted if gstls or gsas did something about cashiers that stand around and talk instead of their job while I'm busting my ass and getting red cards along with other team members

I think the best changes to raise spirits can only be made by corporate, all retail companies are in dire need for major overhauls concerning employees in their stores which are positive for the employees. Waiting for pigs to fly :)

It would be nice to be recognized for the rest of the aspects of our jobs instead of only redcards. I can be fast, fun and friendly all day long and work my butt off for no recognition, but less motivated Suzy Q at the next register gets high fives, called out on the walkie, a free pop and the chance to get off the lanes because she was lucky and got a walk-up redcard. Part of the reason I cherish my service desk shifts and dread my cashier ones.
That actually helps a lot. I think we put so much focus on REDcards and completely ignore every other great moment our cashiers have...I think recognizing all the other awesome things cashiers do that go ignored is such a crucial thing we are missing...Thank you so much for your input! I will be working very hard on this tomorrow!

Not sure if this is really allowed, but my old GSA used to give me $10 giftcards when I was doing a good job.

Not sure if this is really allowed, but my old GSA used to give me $10 giftcards when I was doing a good job.

Not allowed at my store but it used to be. I disagree with it, because getting REDcards is your job and you don't get compensated any extra for doing your job.

One problem I have with giving prizes awards whatever you wanna call it to cashiers for red cards....

Is that those prizes usually only go to the front end. I know they have to deal with a lot, but lets be honest, it's their job. The backroom guy who has been by himself all day doesn't get a prize for getting the cafs pulled on time. The guys throwing the truck don't get prizes for beating their timeline.

They are just doing their job like everyone else. But they will be lucky to even get a "nice job".

One problem I have with giving prizes awards whatever you wanna call it to cashiers for red cards....

Is that those prizes usually only go to the front end. I know they have to deal with a lot, but lets be honest, it's their job. The backroom guy who has been by himself all day doesn't get a prize for getting the cafs pulled on time. The guys throwing the truck don't get prizes for beating their timeline.

They are just doing their job like everyone else. But they will be lucky to even get a "nice job".
I agree with you and I'm a cashier. I feel happy for the person getting a red card but all the attention does is make me feel like crap the rest of my shift and however nice or quick I am doesn't matter because I'm not making Target money by signing up a red card as well. You don't get a prize for working on the salesfloor, talking with a guest and suggesting a few extra items that could go with their new bedspread which makes Target money too, the list could go on and on. Red card focus by Corp is too high and a big pressure on the front end TLs to keep goals, however to be fair Target isn't the only store like this.

Last edited:
So, I've always sucked at getting redcards, and the $10 giftcards would usually happen because I was just good at my job. As an IGS person, I'd keep the desk clean, deal with all the people, do defectives, volunteer to get carts at the end of the night, zone the lanes and one spot, etc. That kind of bonus money is more in line with how it should work in other work centers, because I just worked hard and did well.

Still, redcards are an easy quantifiable goal that should be rewarded, because that aspect of the job sucks.

Having said all that, I'd much rather make $1 more an hour with stable hours like I do now in my signing job.

Not allowed at my store but it used to be. I disagree with it, because getting REDcards is your job and you don't get compensated any extra for doing your job.

Tell that to the execs who earn yearly bonuses...

Morale on flow team was so shitty this time last year because of that. All kinds of prizes, giveaways, and lunches for front-end and sometimes salesfloor...Meanwhile we were working our asses off with a short handed team and no TL and got zero recognition.

Luckily things have turned around and the STL will do things like give a free Starbucks item to whoever can guess the truck size, or pizzas at 11am for perfect attendance.

If not store-level bonuses, surely HQ execs get them.

STL may not get bonus' for red card. But I know they do if their store is "golden". Meaning they basically make payroll and sales the entire year, every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back