Promoting at Target

Nauzhror

Service Advocate, Formerly GSA
And if you’re female your screwed.
My SD is female, 3 of the store's 4 ETL's are female. 7 of 10 TL's are female, VM is female, PML is male, that's 12/17 females in total with positions that are above TM pay. Yeah, Target clearly doesn't promote women.

As for leadership being unacceptable if all white/straight, I disagree. At least insofar as a specific store is concerned. I'm not saying it'd be fine if the entire company was purely white/straight leadership and minorities were explicitly excluded, but with a sample size as small as individual stores I don't think it's a huge deal. To the best of my knowledge that describes 16/17 of the PG45+ employees at my store, but I don't believe it is due to any sort of discriminatory behavior, it's due to demographics, the city I live in has a population that is 88.2% white. .882 * 17 = 15 expected white employees, actual number of 16 isn't much of a deviation. I'm not sure they're all straight, but to the best of my knowledge they are, but it's not a question I'd ever go around asking people - it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
Honestly, it’s a delicate issue. Going by demographics will see no representation in many areas, but purposefully promoting people to overrepresent means both not having qualified people in role and alienating those who are qualified, but didn’t get the role. There’s no “right” way to do it, or at least no “one size fits all” answer. Someone will always be offended or overlooked.

Honestly, it’s a delicate issue. Going by demographics will see no representation in many areas, but purposefully promoting people to overrepresent means both not having qualified people in role and alienating those who are qualified, but didn’t get the role. There’s no “right” way to do it, or at least no “one size fits all” answer. Someone will always be offended or overlooked.
Important point. I guess the way I've tried to reconcile this is to see that racism/sexism/etc actually create situations that cannot be resolved fairly, which should really drive home how destructive these things are.