Promoting at Target

And if you’re female your screwed.
My SD is female, 3 of the store's 4 ETL's are female. 7 of 10 TL's are female, VM is female, PML is male, that's 12/17 females in total with positions that are above TM pay. Yeah, Target clearly doesn't promote women.

As for leadership being unacceptable if all white/straight, I disagree. At least insofar as a specific store is concerned. I'm not saying it'd be fine if the entire company was purely white/straight leadership and minorities were explicitly excluded, but with a sample size as small as individual stores I don't think it's a huge deal. To the best of my knowledge that describes 16/17 of the PG45+ employees at my store, but I don't believe it is due to any sort of discriminatory behavior, it's due to demographics, the city I live in has a population that is 88.2% white. .882 * 17 = 15 expected white employees, actual number of 16 isn't much of a deviation. I'm not sure they're all straight, but to the best of my knowledge they are, but it's not a question I'd ever go around asking people - it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
Honestly, it’s a delicate issue. Going by demographics will see no representation in many areas, but purposefully promoting people to overrepresent means both not having qualified people in role and alienating those who are qualified, but didn’t get the role. There’s no “right” way to do it, or at least no “one size fits all” answer. Someone will always be offended or overlooked.

Honestly, it’s a delicate issue. Going by demographics will see no representation in many areas, but purposefully promoting people to overrepresent means both not having qualified people in role and alienating those who are qualified, but didn’t get the role. There’s no “right” way to do it, or at least no “one size fits all” answer. Someone will always be offended or overlooked.
Important point. I guess the way I've tried to reconcile this is to see that racism/sexism/etc actually create situations that cannot be resolved fairly, which should really drive home how destructive these things are.

It all depends on who your SD and/or ETL are.
Right now the SD/ETL combo at mine is threading into stupid territory after months of progress with the decision of hiring four new EXTERNAL hires as team leads, despite having two really competent candidates in the store who I and other TL’s have coached and recommended for months. Four new external TL’s going into Q4. And one is for inbound, who we have a fantastic candidate for. Kid might end up quitting too now. We are fucked.

We had 3 team members promoted to team lead this month. Two stayed in our store and the 3rd went to the store he wanted.

It all depends on who your SD and/or ETL are.
Right now the SD/ETL combo at mine is threading into stupid territory after months of progress with the decision of hiring four new EXTERNAL hires as team leads, despite having two really competent candidates in the store who I and other TL’s have coached and recommended for months. Four new external TL’s going into Q4. And one is for inbound, who we have a fantastic candidate for. Kid might end up quitting too now. We are fucked.
I couldn't imagine hiring external for inbound. It's such an overwhelming job if you don't know what you are doing. Especially with internal candidates. As a former tm who was overlooked for promotion it feels like such a kick in the teeth.

I couldn't imagine hiring external for inbound. It's such an overwhelming job if you don't know what you are doing. Especially with internal candidates. As a former tm who was overlooked for promotion it feels like such a kick in the teeth.
I agree if you are not an internal inbound is just not a walk in the park. I’ve had Tl and tm from Walmart and they all said it was harder and of course they quit as well

Bro I had a rough time trying to keep the kid who wanted it from breaking down in the breakroom. Took him off stage into the HR office and sat there with him for 20 minutes or so. Offered to at least bring him to my work center and that Id do what i can to maybe get him transferred to a better location. It sucks cause he’s been busting his ass the past year and really taken charge in some of our most chaotic unloads and has owned them, really organized line and the team respects him and listens to him. Looks up truck details in his own and knows how to plan based on that.

They’re saying his to inexperienced which is bullshit. He knows what he’s doing and just needs support to be successful.

There are people who gain more experience in a year than some people do in 3. It's not just about the number of hours you've had in the job. I've been there. It feels bad, and hopefully this kid can get somewhere that appreciates him.

Back