Archived Use it or lose it - vacation hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
A volume store, top in the district.
I was in an area (SB) where we lost a TL & several other long-time TMs.
We were sharing a TL from another area.
I had mainly youngsters on my team & I was the last old-timer so I was tasked with teaching these kids how to put in work-orders, how to mark/scan the weekly order, forecasting supply needs, grooming a TM as a trainer, teaching another how to set promos & focals while gearing up for Q4.
We had a SBTL set up for hire but he ended up getting termed before getting under way so - even tho I was putting notice (family was needing me more & more) - I put off my end date until we were stable & had a new TL in place.
Not exactly the best time to take vay cay.

I only found out about the vac policy changing through the grape vine. There was no special huddle to let us know what was going on, there was no meeting of any kinds of sorts. I had to gather my information from the hr tm at my store and on here. My first issue with this new policy is why there should had been better communication at both the HQ level and the store level. Second issue, Spot wants us to think they are doing this so we will take a vacation...be relaxed and revived..and not bank those silly vacation hours. Hmm, BS. Next year really bothers me....because if you cant bank hours going into 2017 what happens when they cut hours? The little bit of vacation time you do accrue on every check would be spent just to keep your hours up ( if that's even enough). I look at my vacation hours as a safety net...without that I am not sure how long I will be willing to stick around . I honestly think part of the reason Spot is doing this is so that tms don't have vac hours to fall back on when hours get cut. If you think about it ...if the store cuts hours....and you use vacation hours Spot is still having to pay you....so what did they save? Now, with the vacation policy change ...when Spot cuts hours...Spot wins and your out of luck

You can still bank 1 1/2 times your annual accrual limit. But if you don't use them, they won't be paid out when you leave (anything earned after 1/1 of this year and depending on your state). But yes, it think it's pretty crappy how hush hush it was. At my store, they told the LODs in their meeting in September, and then were told not to tell anyone....because they would tell the "affected TMs" personally later (shouldn't that be everyone?). But a week before Christmas they tossed a note on the breakroom table and left a lot of people stunned and unhappy. What a piss poor way to change a policy.

You can still bank 1 1/2 times your annual accrual limit. But if you don't use them, they won't be paid out when you leave (anything earned after 1/1 of this year and depending on your state). But yes, it think it's pretty crappy how hush hush it was. At my store, they told the LODs in their meeting in September, and then were told not to tell anyone....because they would tell the "affected TMs" personally later (shouldn't that be everyone?). But a week before Christmas they tossed a note on the breakroom table and left a lot of people stunned and unhappy. What a piss poor way to change a policy.
But your vacation from this year wont roll over to 2017 correct? So in other words we will start off 2017 with just the vac hours we earn for that year

Last edited:
We were told back before the holidays, but they made it sound good and were hurt when I threw the reality in their faces. Including how many of us lose out because we have no kids to earn extra time, even unpaid without guilt.

But your vacation from this year wont roll over to 2017 correct? So in other words we will start off 2017 with just the vac hours we earn for that year
I'm not sure how to answer the question. It rolls over the same way it always does. Only instead of being able to bank more of it (I don't remember what the old limit was), once you get to 1.5 times your annual accrual rate, you'll simply just stop accruing more until you use it. So if you don't use all of your vacation time by the end of 2016, you'll still have it come January. But if you haven't been using it, then you'll eventually forfeit getting any more.

Official policy:
You earn vacation hours each pay period based on your hours paid, position and years of service. Hours accrue up to one and a half times your annual accrual limit. If you reach your maximum accrual limit, you will stop accruing vacation hours until you use some of your hours.

I have no idea if I have any vacation time accrued or not. Is this something I can look up on eHR? My store sucks at communicating info.

Question time-

Let's say you still have a good amount in your vacation payout around 90 hours but you're still accruing vacation time in the vacation slot, when does the vacation time slot stop accruing? If you decide to say "fuck this shit, I'm not using my vacation payout hours anymore" but your vacation time still accrues when you do get cut off? And is it going to do the thing where Target will illegally take some of your vacation payout hours and pay you out against your will?

I was trying to come up with schemes today and I thought that if I keep using 4 or 5 hours a week, eventually my vacation payout total will be zero but at the same time my 2016 vacation slot will be a lot larger since it will have increased from all the times I used vacation payout hours which increases my works worked.

I guess in a way, you can somewhat cheat the system because you can pad your hours on your paycheck from your vacation payout hours which also increase your vacation time total since the more hours you get paid for, the more vacation time you get.

I personally think Target shouldn't be allowed to touch this shit.

I EARNED DIS SHIT. Vacation hours are mine, not Target's.

Some folks accumulate vay-cay but their avg keeps dropping so the only way they can use it is to actually take time off.
That's the reason I always fought to keep my avg hrs as high as I could because THAT determines how much vay-cay you can use week to week.
Do that during the rest of the year & your avg will be high enough to plug in a substantial amt of vay-cay so you CAN start using it down during slow times.

But what about Target paying you vacation payout hours on your paycheck? Was that just a one time thing? It happened to me in January. They stole 40 hours and paid me out on a paycheck in January. Is that going to happen anymore?

Nope.
From here on out you gotta use it or lose it.
If you quit or get termed your vay-cay goes bye-bye (unless your state's labor laws say otherwise).
If you're gonna quit, put in for use of your vay-cay BEFORE you give notice (depending on how much you have).

But what about Target paying you vacation payout hours on your paycheck? Was that just a one time thing? It happened to me in January. They stole 40 hours and paid me out on a paycheck in January. Is that going to happen anymore?

That was a one time thing to bring everyone down to the new maximum.

Shiiiiittttt.

So what would you suggest? Using more vacation hours per pay period?

If you don't use some of it, you simply won't accumulate any more until you do. So you should probably use some of it unless you prefer to give up your vacation time.

Nope.
From here on out you gotta use it or lose it.
If you quit or get termed your vay-cay goes bye-bye (unless your state's labor laws say otherwise).
If you're gonna quit, put in for use of your vay-cay BEFORE you give notice (depending on how much you have).

We're still pretty close to the new year that this isn't a huge deal yet. All vacation earned before the first of the year under the old plan will still be paid out regardless of what state you are in. It's everything earned from the beginning of the year that won't be paid out (depending on your state).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back