Archived Using the bathroom on/off the clock?

Is it ok to use the bathroom on the clock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can literally contract a UTI if you hold it in for too long. Besides, it is a basic human necessity to drink water and empty waste throughout the day.

A cashier at my store pissed their pants cause the GSA wouldn’t let them go to the bathroom so
No they made them get some clothes they had in their car and then scolded them for the pants not being brand

I genuinely hope that cashier gets the justice they deserve on top of being scold for owning not-brand pants because that’s some unjustified backlash.

Go to the bathroom. If he tries to bully you, talk back. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll have to talk to HR or the STL and you can explain what'sgoing on.

My ready-to-use response if anyone ever tries to give me nonsense about using the bathroom on the clock is "I don't know about you, but most humans do this important thing called peeing..." Maybe you don't consider that worth getting written up for, but I do.

All right guys get ready for some absolut bullsh*t that happened to me on Monday at my store.

I have an asshole LOD who always has something to say when he passes by you whether it’s “oh you’re moving slow today are you loafing or working?” Or “I see you’re still working on that task from a half hour ago what’s the status?” To “what’s up with those shelves behind you? I don’t care if it’s not your zone fix it right away”

So I’m on my 4th hour of my shift standing on the line waiting to use the bathroom (there are only 2 restrooms in the entire building). LOD comes out of the very same restroom I’m waiting for and looks at me and says “are you on the clock? What are you doing?” I’m like “huh? Yeah I’m just waiting for the bathroom”
This guy literally does a face palm and with the nastiest attitude and face looks at me and says “UNBELIEVABLE”.
I’m like ok.... I’ll just hold it in and go back to work then. He’s like “good idea”.
I went back to my zone and thought about it and realized hey wait a second, this guy is up my ass about waiting for the bathroom on the clock meanwhile HE just walked out of the bathroom on the clock!! So it’s ok for him to use the bathroom on the clock and not me? Oh hell no. My 15 was coming up so I decided to go now.
I proceeded to walk back to the restroom line and was determined to not piss myself and actually use that bathroom. Once again with my effing luck same LOD walks by and with the most serious face he’s like “YOURE STILL WAITING FOR THE BATHROOM AFTER ALL THIS TIME?” (When he clearly saw me get off the line and go back to work about an hour earlier.) luckily I was on my 15 min break so I had a defense and said “I’m actually on my 15 right now so I’m using this time to use the restroom ,okay?” He proceeds to get in my face about how “I didn’t need to get an attitude” and then as he walks off he has to add in “if you’re on your 15 technically you’re still on company time so... I’m right”.
I was enraged. This guys just always has to be right!! And he is like this to everyone, each TM I come in contact with comlains about him morning to night.
But I digress,
The point is- is it really shameful to use the bathroom on the clock? Or do I have to wait 3 hours till my next break? Other TLs never seem to have a problem with this so maybe this specific LOD is just an asshole? :rolleyes:

Help me out guys I’m losing my mind working with this guy.

Straight off OSHA's website-

"OSHA requires employers to provide employees with toilet facilities in restrooms separated for men and women. Employers may not impose unreasonable restrictions on the facilities' use and employees should not take an excessive amount of time for bathroom use and notify another employee of his or her absence when appropriate. Due to the varying nature of bathroom necessity, no specific regulations exist.
OSHA states: "employees will not suffer adverse health effects that can result if toilets are not available when employees need them." However, OSHA also acknowledges that how frequently individuals need to use restroom a facility varies significantly."

This is definitely something to call the hotline about...

This ETL sounds like a piece of crap. But any chance his reaction was because you thinks you were wasting time waiting? Meaning, maybe he expected that after checking the restroom was occupied that you either go back to work and then check again in a few minutes or that you go up front to use the guest restroom?

Not defending him. You should be allowed to use the restroom when you need to. Just trying to see from his side of things.

Insanely ridiculous. I remember asking my GSTL if I could go to the bathroom when I first started and she was sooo shocked. She was like “of course you can go!!!”

Only issue we ever have with bathrooms here is cashiers blantantly going into the bathroom to use their cell phone constantly. Or getting off register 10 minutes before break to go and coming back to register after break and immediately going again, but even then I would be very, very hesitant to say anything because it’s a basic human right.

Insanely ridiculous. I remember asking my GSTL if I could go to the bathroom when I first started and she was sooo shocked. She was like “of course you can go!!!”

Only issue we ever have with bathrooms here is cashiers blantantly going into the bathroom to use their cell phone constantly. Or getting off register 10 minutes before break to go and coming back to register after break and immediately going again, but even then I would be very, very hesitant to say anything because it’s a basic human right.
My cashiers know to turn on their blinker or let me know when using the restroom. They can’t just wander off as I need to know where they are.

The point is- is it really shameful to use the bathroom on the clock? Or do I have to wait 3 hours till my next break? Other TLs never seem to have a problem with this so maybe this specific LOD is just an asshole? :rolleyes:
Help me out guys I’m losing my mind working with this guy.

No, no shame. Like everyone else has said, if you gotta go, then you gotta go. It is inhumane to prevent you from going to the restroom if you truly need to go.

I would try to talk to HR first. If nothing changes, then call the hotline. Target doesn't want to get fined or sued, so HR/Hotline probably won't allow this LOD's restroom restrictions to continue. If nothing changes, then you can file a complaint with OSHA regarding unreasonable restrictions on using the restroom at work.

If you ever face any sort of retaliation from the LOD for reporting the issue, then document it and call the hotline. Target prohibits retaliation so that is a second strike against that LOD.

Last edited:
Being a TM myself, I am trying to look at the complaint from both angles. I wonder if this LOD is really an ahole, or is he trying to be funny in a sarcastic sort of way and failing.

I'm not saying this is you, but if you have a TM that is using the restroom every ten minutes and taking twenty to do their business, I can see his point. I would be pissed if I was working on a project with someone and they kept disappearing. If they have a medical condition like diabetes where they have to keep using the restroom, then that is something that can't be helped.

On the other hand, if this LOD is a troll to everyone and they bring morale down, then it needs to be addressed by someone that is higher up on the food chain.

Coming from a personal view, it's not often that I have to use the restroom, even during an 8hr shift, but if I do, my LOD's have no problem as long as my work is getting done. Sometime's my LOD's don't know I am there, unless they call for me over the walkie or actually see me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back