Archived Using the bathroom on/off the clock?

Is it ok to use the bathroom on the clock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gain Detergent

All right guys get ready for some absolut bullsh*t that happened to me on Monday at my store.

I have an asshole LOD who always has something to say when he passes by you whether it’s “oh you’re moving slow today are you loafing or working?” Or “I see you’re still working on that task from a half hour ago what’s the status?” To “what’s up with those shelves behind you? I don’t care if it’s not your zone fix it right away”

So I’m on my 4th hour of my shift standing on the line waiting to use the bathroom (there are only 2 restrooms in the entire building). LOD comes out of the very same restroom I’m waiting for and looks at me and says “are you on the clock? What are you doing?” I’m like “huh? Yeah I’m just waiting for the bathroom”
This guy literally does a face palm and with the nastiest attitude and face looks at me and says “UNBELIEVABLE”.
I’m like ok.... I’ll just hold it in and go back to work then. He’s like “good idea”.
I went back to my zone and thought about it and realized hey wait a second, this guy is up my ass about waiting for the bathroom on the clock meanwhile HE just walked out of the bathroom on the clock!! So it’s ok for him to use the bathroom on the clock and not me? Oh hell no. My 15 was coming up so I decided to go now.
I proceeded to walk back to the restroom line and was determined to not piss myself and actually use that bathroom. Once again with my effing luck same LOD walks by and with the most serious face he’s like “YOURE STILL WAITING FOR THE BATHROOM AFTER ALL THIS TIME?” (When he clearly saw me get off the line and go back to work about an hour earlier.) luckily I was on my 15 min break so I had a defense and said “I’m actually on my 15 right now so I’m using this time to use the restroom ,okay?” He proceeds to get in my face about how “I didn’t need to get an attitude” and then as he walks off he has to add in “if you’re on your 15 technically you’re still on company time so... I’m right”.
I was enraged. This guys just always has to be right!! And he is like this to everyone, each TM I come in contact with comlains about him morning to night.
But I digress,
The point is- is it really shameful to use the bathroom on the clock? Or do I have to wait 3 hours till my next break? Other TLs never seem to have a problem with this so maybe this specific LOD is just an asshole? :rolleyes:

Help me out guys I’m losing my mind working with this guy.

Dang, this isn't high school. If you have to go, you have to go. In my store that's all there is to it. The only ones who get attitude are the ones who say they're going to the bathroom and don't come back for a long long time. You know, the people who take any excuse not to work and you know who they are. TMs who disappear for 10 minutes every three or four hours are no big deal. TMs who disappear for half an hour every hour are a problem (unless of course they've got medical issues that are known.)

Oops, you’re making me feel a little bad.
I have actually been annoyed in the past that it takes some tm 15 minutes to prepare to go on thier 15 and then another 15 minutes to return, if ever.
I have been with them when at 1:15 they put away what they are working on, stop to chat, shop while walking to tsc to go on break, make a purchase, use the restroom, go to thier locker, put on thier coat and THEN turn to me and say: “ going on my 15, see you at 1:45 “, they come back at 1:45, put the coat away, check locker, chat at tsc, check the schedule, submit a punch correction/vacation/whatever, sit at tsc “cause they are leaving in 5”, punch out. Not a second of productivity in the last 45 minutes of shift and i’m The bitch if I say anything.
When I was gstl it was easier to tell a cashier: “shut off your light, look at the time on the register, do whatever you like, when you RETURN the time on your register should be 15 minutes later”. Much harder to do that on the salesfloor, I have tried. Even tried to coach a tm once, was told by HR that I shouldn’t stop watch the team since it isn’t fair, not every tm is kept to a strict 15 minute break by the other TL and that is why my team has problems with me. She really said that. Another TL was told not to closely monitor breaks also, he was told different tm have different needs.

I have been told that it works like this : #1. Tm calls hotline with information #2. Hotline person writes down the complaint #3. Hotline person calls store and relays the complaint to the LOD to resolve situation. If the LOD you are complaining about is still on, he/she will get a call about themselves. At our store: #4. Retaliation ensues against tm that made the call. I have seen retribution against anonymous calls too cause the tm usually tells someone in the store that they called, either that or the walls have ears.

I mean, the higher ups in my store all seem to be fine with bathroom breaks if they're needed. I went back to TSC in the middle of a task yesterday to take care of something else...very briefly, it took me maybe a minute...and the ETL I asked about it said it was fine.

Oops, you’re making me feel a little bad.
I have actually been annoyed in the past that it takes some tm 15 minutes to prepare to go on thier 15 and then another 15 minutes to return, if ever.
I have been with them when at 1:15 they put away what they are working on, stop to chat, shop while walking to tsc to go on break, make a purchase, use the restroom, go to thier locker, put on thier coat and THEN turn to me and say: “ going on my 15, see you at 1:45 “, they come back at 1:45, put the coat away, check locker, chat at tsc, check the schedule, submit a punch correction/vacation/whatever, sit at tsc “cause they are leaving in 5”, punch out. Not a second of productivity in the last 45 minutes of shift and i’m The bitch if I say anything.
When I was gstl it was easier to tell a cashier: “shut off your light, look at the time on the register, do whatever you like, when you RETURN the time on your register should be 15 minutes later”. Much harder to do that on the salesfloor, I have tried. Even tried to coach a tm once, was told by HR that I shouldn’t stop watch the team since it isn’t fair, not every tm is kept to a strict 15 minute break by the other TL and that is why my team has problems with me. She really said that. Another TL was told not to closely monitor breaks also, he was told different tm have different needs.
LOL I THINK THIS IS THE LOD

I have been told that it works like this : #1. Tm calls hotline with information #2. Hotline person writes down the complaint #3. Hotline person calls store and relays the complaint to the LOD to resolve situation. If the LOD you are complaining about is still on, he/she will get a call about themselves. At our store: #4. Retaliation ensues against tm that made the call. I have seen retribution against anonymous calls too cause the tm usually tells someone in the store that they called, either that or the walls have ears.
^This.

So I’m gonna go complain to HR tomorrow about him and if nothing gets done I’ll call that hotline. What’s that hotline for??
The hotline is there to protect Target Corp, not Team Members.

I am in favor of chain of command so if HR doesn't handle it I'd go to the STL before the hotline. Give the store every chance to make this right and then involve the hotline.

If you don't mind a little advice for your conversation with HR...I suggest turning your experience into the bigger picture of the store. Make your point the good of the store more than that guy was a jerk to you. Maybe this LOD needs a better grasp of labor laws. Maybe next time a TM will go to the labor board first and not try to work it out first (like you are) and it will be a bigger deal. I think it will go better for you if you are seen as a team player rather than a complainer.

and my favorite ...
HKFYWFg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back