Archived vacation payout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how all of this works. I only have hours in the vacation payout section. Does that mean that I get paid for those hours on my last paycheck when I quit (like a nice huge check)? Or does it mean that I have to use them before I quit? Or do I have to take a "vacation" for those hours before I quit? If I have 2 weeks saved up, and I put in a 2 week notice, do I have to come back to work? Should I randomly start picking days for vacation payout a long time before I think about quitting? I am going back to school soon and I am not sure if I am quitting. TIA.

Depends on your state, in some states you have to take it off before quitting, or you lose it(which would suck.) I believe my state of Minnesota is that way. I too am in the same boat, I'd love to use up my 8 hours of vacation but not sure if I'll be leaving Target anytime soon, I hope I am. I can't really tell you how the whole payout thing works, I only have really only one shift saved up in PTO but you say you have two. I'm not 100% this is the right thing to do, but I would talk to your ETLs about getting two weeks PTO. I'm not sure what position you are in, but if you are just a regular TM they should approve... then BAM!!!! Put in two weeks notice as soon as it's approved.

@HRZone would probably be able to adequately provide correct info, he's kind of the goto guy for this kind of stuff.

Does vacation payout vary by state?
I thought that when you accrue time that the company you are with are required to pay your for your vacation time.

Does vacation payout vary by state?
I thought that when you accrue time that the company you are with are required to pay your for your vacation time.

Target as a company used to pay it out to everyone regardless of state.

Now it's only if you are in a payout state.

The exception is if you are in a non payout state and you still have some left in payout.

thanks for everyone's responses. I am in WA state and I am still a bit confused. I did quit and I still had 35 hours in the vacation payout section. Wondering if I would get those in my last paycheck? NOTE: I was on vacation which fell onto my last day there. If I have to forfeit them, so be it. It's just not possible for me to come back. Just don't want to get screwed by them.

This is what I could find for Washington state.

Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave and severance pay are considered voluntary benefits that a business may choose to offer workers.
Washington State law does not require a business to provide these benefits.
Even though there is no state law requiring a business to pay these benefits upon termination, if the business promises workers these benefits and does not follow through, workers can contact an attorney or file in small claims court for their unpaid benefits.

thanks for everyone's responses. I am in WA state and I am still a bit confused. I did quit and I still had 35 hours in the vacation payout section. Wondering if I would get those in my last paycheck? NOTE: I was on vacation which fell onto my last day there. If I have to forfeit them, so be it. It's just not possible for me to come back. Just don't want to get screwed by them.

It will be on your next check. I'm in the same state as you. Payout is paid on your final check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back