Archived Vaping + Tobacco Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find the legalese on the benefits site for the tobacco use status, since the site seems to just send me around in circles, but does using a e-cig/vape mod qualify as being a tobacco user, even though it technically isn't a 'tobacco' product? I stopped using cigs a few months back in favor of a vape and am quite curious, seeing how open enrollment is right around the corner...

Almost 90% of 151 life insurance underwriters said they consider an e-cigarette user a smoker and about 40% said their company has an underwriting policy with respect to their use, according to a May survey by Munich American Reassurance Co., which provides life and health insurance to U.S. insurance companies. Of the 62 underwriters who indicated their insurance company has an underwriting policy on e-cigarettes, more than 80% classify them as a tobacco product.

This is from a recent Wall Street Journal article. But I have no idea. Ask HR? The problem arises that if you claim non-smoker and your provider claims that you are a smoker, your claims can be denied, even after you pay the premiums.

While on this topic: does spot have a stance on vape usage in store by guests?

Sorry, you're considered a tobacco user.

Straight from the webpage about verifying your tobacco status:

• You may indicate a tobacco status of "tobacco free" for yourself and each of your covered dependents, over the age 18, who have not used tobacco in any form (including electronic cigarettes) within the last six months.

Becoming tobacco free is the best thing I've done for myself in my life.

I haven't looked for it, but our AP has asked guests to take their vape outside.

What if you're an alcoholic? Should you be charged a fee for that? Or what if you're addicted to sleeping pills or prescription pills?
Singling out smokers is illegal in my opinion. Just sayin'.

What if you're an alcoholic? Should you be charged a fee for that? Or what if you're addicted to sleeping pills or prescription pills?
Singling out smokers is illegal in my opinion. Just sayin'.
None of those cause cancer and the crazy high cost associated with it.

Doesn't alcoholism cause liver cancer? Double standard but that's how we roll in Murica. One poison is okay while another is the devil.

I once tried to jokingly lobby my hr to send up an obesity tax when I found out about the smokers tax when it first came out

I once tried to jokingly lobby my hr to send up an obesity tax when I found out about the smokers tax when it first came out

How about a 'Driving like a Moron' tax?
Seems like that would be just as costly as either of the other two.

I have heard e-cigs and vapor is considered Smoking. But some Health Insurance companies will give some some benefits to smokers who are trying to quit. Either through counseling, medications, cold turkey, and yes trying vapor/e-cigs to decrease tobacco intake.

Doesn't alcoholism cause liver cancer? Double standard but that's how we roll in Murica. One poison is okay while another is the devil.
Drinking a glass of wine a day has health benefits, smoking a cigarette a day does not. Heavy drinkers have an increase chance but not that if smoking percentages.

Drinking a glass of wine a day has health benefits, smoking a cigarette a day does not. Heavy drinkers have an increase chance but not that if smoking percentages.

Attachments

• 0507.jpg
    0507.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back